Heritage Owners Club

Incoming! NAD Tomorrow

RJLII

I guess you'll be putting that ole' Rambler on curb for pickup. :o

Perhaps not :nono: I'd been looking for something small and simple as a supplement to the Rambler. A buddy has a vintage Harvard that I've always liked and this should cover the same sonic territory.

Which model is that ? Congrat's RJLII

It's a 5112. They call it the "One Knob Wonder". Two inputs, one for Single Coils and one for Humbuckers. A volume knob with integral on/off switch. Just turn up the gas and start cooking. Basically a hand wired Fender Champ clone in a Deluxe cabinet. The 12" speaker is reported to make a huge difference over the 8" that the Champs were equipped with.

5 Watts of Power

5F1-type circuit

Single ended operation

Cathode bias design

1-5Y3WGTA Rectifier, 1-12AX7 Preamp Tube, 1-6V6GT Power Tube

Eminence Legend 12" speaker

I have two guitars with P-90s (the H-137 and an R6 from Nashville) that should both sound nice through it. I'm looking forward to the old school tube grind.

Perhaps not :o I'd been looking for something small and simple as a supplement to the Rambler. A buddy has a vintage Harvard that I've always liked and this should cover the same sonic territory.

It's a 5112. They call it the "One Knob Wonder". Two inputs, one for Single Coils and one for Humbuckers. A volume knob with integral on/off switch. Just turn up the gas and start cooking. Basically a hand wired Fender Champ clone in a Deluxe cabinet. The 12" speaker is reported to make a huge difference over the 8" that the Champs were equipped with.

5 Watts of Power

5F1-type circuit

Single ended operation

Cathode bias design

I have two guitars with P-90s (the H-137 and an R6 from Nashville) that should both sound nice through it. I'm looking forward to the old school tube grind.

Very nice!

I'm currently building a 5f2 Tweed Princeton under a similar notion - 5 Watts of short signal path going into a 12" speaker :nono:

Well it's here. First impressions: Compact and light. Loud as hell with much more clean headroom than I expected. Very "old school" sound with pronounced midrange. Nice harmonic overtones. My H-137 with P90s sounds great. It's got some rattles at higher volume but based on what I've heard many of the 5112s do. I can fix that. I'll spend a week or so with it and post a more comprehensive review along with some pics.

Perhaps not :nono: I'd been looking for something small and simple as a supplement to the Rambler. A buddy has a vintage Harvard that I've always liked and this should cover the same sonic territory.

5 Watts of Power

5F1-type circuit

Single ended operation

Cathode bias design

That sounds wonderful, I think I'd like that amp.

Very nice!

I'm currently building a 5f2 Tweed Princeton under a similar notion - 5 Watts of short signal path going into a 12" speaker ;)

Is that one of the Weber kits?

Nah, I was just working from the standard fender schematic and layout... with just a few slight modifications here and there.

The kits are a nice simple one stop shop method of starting a build, but I sort of like hunting for parts and picking out my own components. In some cases you can save money and get better quality parts that way. Of course, it can also be costly and frustrating when you're not paying attention and order the wrong stuff and/or things are back ordered! Not to mention I usually end up having to order parts from two or three different places, and they rarely seem to ever all ship or arrive at the same time.

OK, I'm 10 days in and wanted to give some first impressions. As expected, P-90s work best with this amp. I would imagine Strat's/Tele's would really shine too. It's an old school Raunch & Roll sound when cranked, but a very sweet tone at a reasonable volume. Perfect for noodling around on the couch. I've made a couple tweaks and tightened some things up to eliminate cabinet and chassis rattles, as well as replaced the rectifier tube with one that didn't jingle/jangle from the guts vibrating against the glass. The best sounds happen outdoors on the deck. Here's a shot with the R6. Please forgive he transgression, but I don't have any shots with the H-137 yet.

5054551941_5912c38029_b.jpg

Archived