Heritage Owners Club

Paul Reed Smith Amps.... whats the deal?

Sparky

Once in a while just for fun I'll go on e-bay to the guitar amp section and do a sort by highest price first. Some interesting amps show up, like old "Two Rock" amps

for 4-5 grand, Groove Tubes amps and new PRS amps are usually around 3-4 grand. Anybody ever play a PRS amp, and are they somehow worth the price?

Doug Sewell builds their amps, and Sewell amps are/were incredible in their own right.

That said even the guys over at the PRS forum aren't crazy about them. The PRS forum guys complain that the PRS amps are too pricey, too limited in options (mostly single channel amps without effects loops), and too vintage sounding (not enough high gain).

NOW with all that said, everything those guys are complaining about I would like (except the high price).

PRS is launching a new two-channel amp that is supposed to sound incredible at a much lower cost (approx $1400-1500).

Myself, I have found that Jade from Twister Amps (do a google search for "Twister Amps") builds incredible hand point-to-point tube amps, and like Heritage he will customized an amp of your choice. BEST thing is his amps are all INCREDIBLY AFFORDABLE!!!!!!

My fave affordable boutique builder is Ed Smith from Toad Suck Tones. I have two of his amps, one 18 watter running Bendix 6094's and a 50 watter Hiwatt DR504 tribute amp running Bendix 6384's. Both feature incredibly beefy, rock stable power supplies, cold war bombproof builds, as well as amazing tones. Both are one of a kind, never again duplicated. I pimped out their pre's with vintage tubes.

Once in a while just for fun I'll go on e-bay to the guitar amp section and do a sort by highest price first. Some interesting amps show up, like old "Two Rock" amps

for 4-5 grand, Groove Tubes amps and new PRS amps are usually around 3-4 grand. Anybody ever play a PRS amp, and are they somehow worth the price?

They are typically of PRS. Looks cool, sounds cool, but way over priced. You're paying big money for the name, not the tone.

Archived