Heritage Owners Club

Guitar Cable

Stephen

Was wondering what your thoughts are as to guitar cables? We spend a lot of money on equipment and I have found some cables give me a much improved sound and reduced noise. Currently thinking about switching from George L. to Lava, but there are so many out there; Monster, George L., Klotz,Lava,Van Den Hul, Vovax, Mogani, Laboga, Cardas to name just a few. I have come to believe the better the connection from guitar to amp the better the sound. Wondering who is using what, why, thoughts and ramblings? I was also thinking about connectors, I have been looking at the Switchcraft. Am I reading to much into this stuff? I play a H150 through a Laney LC15r, type A valve amp.Just play for my own enjoyment,I like clean sound. Regards, Stephen

Was wondering what your thoughts are as to guitar cables? We spend a lot of money on equipment and I have found some cables give me a much improved sound and reduced noise. Currently thinking about switching from George L. to Lava, but there are so many out there; Monster, George L., Klotz,Lava,Van Den Hul, Vovax, Mogani, Laboga, Cardas to name just a few. I have come to believe the better the connection from guitar to amp the better the sound. Wondering who is using what, why, thoughts and ramblings? I was also thinking about connectors, I have been looking at the Switchcraft. Am I reading to much into this stuff? I play a H150 through a Laney LC15r, type A valve amp.Just play for my own enjoyment,I like clean sound. Regards, Stephen

You may be interested in this thread :)

GT Cable Thread

GT Cables made by fellow HOC'er Steiner - really high quality stuff

Good quality cables are essential in my book; something that's going to provide good shielding, minimal signal loss, and a strong build so that it lasts. I also strongly recommend a silent tip as well... really comes in handy when you want to set down the guitar without turning off the amp. Just pull the plug right out and you're good to go!

That being said, I might as well post the GT Cable silent tip demo link as well :)

hello, stephen and welcome to the HOC! i believe that many here will agree that cables matter a lot.

fyi, HOC's own "Steiner" builds a very good one.

regards, eljay

Interesting topic. During the Inaugural PSP tour at the plant, Ren did a short dissertation on this very subject. Paraphrased: " You spend $2k on a guitar, $1k on an amp and use a $10 cable to connect them." Yeah, something wrong with that scenario. Some of us were fortunate to receive a Heritage guitar cable as swag at PSPI. That was my first foray into high-end cables. And lordy!! Oh yeah, they make a difference. BTW, I use GeorgeL's on my guitar pedal board and have Planet Waves modular cabling on my banjo/mando pedal board. Nothing wrong with that cabling IMO.

I went through the cable testing phase, guitar and speaker cables. Ended up liking some mid priced cables over some of the more expensive ones.

I never used cheap ones to start with and maybe my ears had become accustom to the sound I got just using mid priced leads.

I tried one brand that was meant to be the ducks nuts and cost the same price as a good night out. I couldnt eq my amp right. Maybe I tried a dud example.

I have a multi-amp set up and rather extensive road cases. I tried many different high cost cables after seeing how to reduce the humm and improve the relationship between the guitar and amp(s). A good quality cable is worth its weight in tone, the silent tip is icing on the cake. You can get the same 10 foot cable I sell at GC for about $100; mine are about 1/2 that. Worthwhile endeavor? Yes.

EDIT: Welcome to the HOC Stephen!:icon_thumright::

Interesting topic. During the Inaugural PSP tour at the plant, Ren did a short dissertation on this very subject. Paraphrased: " You spend $2k on a guitar, $1k on an amp and use a $10 cable to connect them." Yeah, something wrong with that scenario.

Yeah a huge problem.....the amp is more important than the guitar, shouldn't it get top billing!?

;)

OK, hard to do with Gibson/Heritage guitars...but still!

:)

I have a multi-amp set up and rather extensive road cases. I tried many different high cost cables after seeing how to reduce the humm and improve the relationship between the guitar and amp(s). A good quality cable is worth its weight in tone, the silent tip is icing on the cake. You can get the same 10 foot cable I sell at GC for about $100; mine are about 1/2 that. Worthwhile endeavor? Yes.

EDIT: Welcome to the HOC Stephen!:icon_thumright::

I hear these are the bee's knee's. and I'm not a paid endorsing artist, just a nut.

I freely admit I may be half deaf due to playing way too loud in my 20s and 30s, but I did a side by side comparison between Monster cables and a mid priced cable, and found virtually no difference..I would like to try one of Steiners Custom cables, however because he's a member of the "Brotherhood".. :icon_thumright:

Purchased a GT Guitar Cable from Greg (Steiners Custom Cable). They are everything I was looking for; a clean shielded cable. Reduced humm, great tone and the quite connect is wonderful. I would recommend that you give one a try. Thanks to HOC for the heads up! Stephen

Hi Stephen - I'm happy to hear your guitar cable is no longer a tone generator. Alas I must subject myself to the life of others telling me my product is insipid and innocuous; C'est la vie...

Enjoy the sweet sound of your 150! Oh, and I cannot believe you've made it 3 posts without the obligatory:

:this_thread_is_useless_without_

Thank you for the business!

Thanks to the collective too for your kind recommendations :icon_thumright:

I bought some Klotz a few years back when Kendrick was the only guy importing them. Nice cable, but over time they've gone microphonic on me. When I move about, the movement of the cable causes static. I've got a couple of the old Heritage cables which are Zaolla cable with hight quality plugs - good stuff.

I've tried dozens of different cables over the years, some pretty good (Whirlwind, Piranha) and lots of useless, cheap crap that was a waste of money. It's always worth using good quality cables as cheap ones will break and WILL let you down in the middle of a gig.

For a few years now I've been using cables from Pro Audio Supplies in the UK which are made using Van Damme cables and Neutrik jacks. They sound great, they're not microphonic and I've NEVER had one fail on me. A 10m standard cable costs around £15.00 and one with silent switching jacks, about £20.00 - good value too!

Apologies for sounding like an advert!!

While I agree that a good cable improves your tone - (gulp) coil chords never seemed to bother this guy:

JImi%20Hendrix.jpg

[/LOL :icon_biggrin:

I've tried dozens of different cables over the years, some pretty good (Whirlwind, Piranha) and lots of useless, cheap crap that was a waste of money. It's always worth using good quality cables as cheap ones will break and WILL let you down in the middle of a gig.

For a few years now I've been using cables from Pro Audio Supplies in the UK which are made using Van Damme cables and Neutrik jacks. They sound great, they're not microphonic and I've NEVER had one fail on me. A 10m standard cable costs around £15.00 and one with silent switching jacks, about £20.00 - good value too!

Apologies for sounding like an advert!!

It's better than sounding like a pervert!! (Just kidding) That sounds like a good deal..how much is that American..anyone know?

Archived