Heritage Owners Club

Line 6 PODHD

Kmenne

I am trying to navigate this site in the correct manner, so please excuse me in advance is this topic is in the wrong location or otherwise "taboo". I tried the search function to see if the topic had already been discussed, and could not use "pod hd" as a search string.

Checking to see if anyone is using the new Line 6 Pod HD efx/amp modeler unit. I have the HD300 and really like it. I use the USB port to connect to my IMAC. At that point, I can jam with the Mule, ABB, Robben, Billy, etc with a respectable tone!!! They don't seem to mind at all! Garageband "sees" it and it is easy to use there as well.

The efx are OK, the verbs are nice. There are only (16) amps, which works for me! Lots of tweeking options, which is easy when connected to the computer.

I am going to learn how to attach audio samples and post some of the sounds I have been working on.

The POD system is what led me to my beloved Soldanos. After that, it was all about collecting every amp they modeled; it's a disease, won't you please give???

I really enjoyed randomly spanking the footpedal to get different amps, effects or even cabs. For an afternoon of noodling, they can take you over the rainbow.

Between Garage Band and the new POD system, I've seen many people make professional grade recordings. While those units are expensive for multi effects, they are no less a cut above what you can find out there. In my opinion, POD makes the closest tones to the real deal versus anyone else. BTW, Musicians Friend a.k.a Guitar Center now offers Soldano amps....

Between Garage Band and the new POD system, I've seen many people make professional grade recordings. While those units are expensive for multi effects, they are no less a cut above what you can find out there. In my opinion, POD makes the closest tones to the real deal versus anyone else. BTW, Musicians Friend a.k.a Guitar Center now offers Soldano amps....

Fractal Audio Axe-Fx... is waaaaaaayyyyyyy better than any POD...not a knock, just sayin'

Mark

Would love to have the Axe...Fx but my level of playing does not justify the purchase.

I think if you bought it, your level of playing might actually get better- because you will be so damn thrilled that you never want to quit playing...fo' real!

Fractal Audio Axe-Fx... is waaaaaaayyyyyyy better than any POD...not a knock, just sayin'

Mark

+ 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000

it Is really isn't even close!

Having heard John's recorded tracks with his Fractal system, and having read review and heard the rants and raves regarding the system, it is obviously an impressive piece of equipment. Having said that, it is about 4 times as expensive as the most expensive Line 6 POD HD, which have ALSO been getting rave reviews as being a major step above the older POD models. Going further down the food chain, I picked up a POD XT LIVE floor multi-effects pedal for $200 used from GC's website several months ago, and, for my playing ability and needs, it, or my used Boss GT-8 give me what I need. My point? I just bought a 23 year old guitar; It plays the same as my 1 or 2 year old guitars. Not much has changed in 50-60 years of electric guitar building (open to debate, I know, but hear me out.) The world of digital effects is changing at light speed in comparison. Even my cheap Digitech RP multi-effects pedal can give better tones than anything that was available a little over a decade ago. All of these require tweaking of the presets, as many are set to "Buzzsaw" in my opinion; you CAN get usable, tasteful tones out of these cheaper multi-effects. While it would certainly be nice to be able to get the Fractal, it's currently too rich for my blood; I'd rather spend that much adding either guitars or amps.

Having heard John's recorded tracks with his Fractal system, and having read review and heard the rants and raves regarding the system, it is obviously an impressive piece of equipment. Having said that, it is about 4 times as expensive as the most expensive Line 6 POD HD, which have ALSO been getting rave reviews as being a major step above the older POD models. Going further down the food chain, I picked up a POD XT LIVE floor multi-effects pedal for $200 used from GC's website several months ago, and, for my playing ability and needs, it, or my used Boss GT-8 give me what I need. My point? I just bought a 23 year old guitar; It plays the same as my 1 or 2 year old guitars. Not much has changed in 50-60 years of electric guitar building (open to debate, I know, but hear me out.) The world of digital effects is changing at light speed in comparison. Even my cheap Digitech RP multi-effects pedal can give better tones than anything that was available a little over a decade ago. All of these require tweaking of the presets, as many are set to "Buzzsaw" in my opinion; you CAN get usable, tasteful tones out of these cheaper multi-effects. While it would certainly be nice to be able to get the Fractal, it's currently too rich for my blood; I'd rather spend that much adding either guitars or amps.

I've used the newer digitech multieffects such as the RP350, RP355, and RP500. Then I've used the Boss ME-25 and ME-70. Now I use a Pocket POD for silent practice. I have some great recordings using those pedals, but I prefer the real deal or any of them. Regular stompboxes....

See here is the difference. Every POD I played had the digital BUZZZZZZZZ. The Fractal has none!

You can get used Axe-Fx standards (which I have) for around $1200. Many take the sam route you do; a couple hundred here, a couple hundred there, a $600 amp here, ect..... next thing you know they would have had enough for a Axe-Fx.

I am not saying they are cheap, but for all the effects, 70 amps, ect.... I think the price is definitely appropriate!!!

Having heard John's recorded tracks with his Fractal system, and having read review and heard the rants and raves regarding the system, it is obviously an impressive piece of equipment. Having said that, it is about 4 times as expensive as the most expensive Line 6 POD HD, While it would certainly be nice to be able to get the Fractal, it's currently too rich for my blood; I'd rather spend that much adding either guitars or amps.

But that's the whole point of the Axe-Fx, it's a GAS killer. With over 70 amps I can work with a new amp every week for a year and still not get through all the choices (in fact I've had mine for about six months now and still have many amps I've never even heard yet). What store on the entire planet has that kind of selection. Not to mention stunning world class efx. I think to many folks focus on the price without realizing that what you get is worth FAR more then what it costs.

Very curious about the signal chain you use with your Fractal units. I am guessing you plug the XLR outputs into a mixer and listen to your studio monitors? There does not appear to be a headphone output? How would you change patches/presets in a live situation? Looks like there are a couple expression pedal ports.

Are any of you using your computers to edit/create sounds? It appears you would have to do this via midi in/out.

This is a very interesting unit for a guy like me who never plays out, but only jams to backing tracks or noodles with ideas via garageband.

Guess I better get over to you tube and check this thing out!!

Cheers!!

Keith

Very curious about the signal chain you use with your Fractal units. I am guessing you plug the XLR outputs into a mixer and listen to your studio monitors? There does not appear to be a headphone output? How would you change patches/presets in a live situation? Looks like there are a couple expression pedal ports.

Are any of you using your computers to edit/create sounds? It appears you would have to do this via midi in/out.

This is a very interesting unit for a guy like me who never plays out, but only jams to backing tracks or noodles with ideas via garageband.

Cheers!!Fractal Audio

Keith

One of the great advantages is the widely varied ways the Axe-Fx can be connected. IMO it is the most versatile amp/efx unit made. My signal chain 'presently' goes like this,

guitar>line 6 G30 wireless>Axe-Fx front input>rear unbalanced out #1>unbalanced in Carvin DCM-1540L power-amp>speakers.

I then use unbalanced out #2 to drive a Rolls HA43 Pro headphone amp. This leaves balanced out #1 free for plugging into my Akai 16 track digital recorder. Keep in mind all outputs can be set to either stereo or mono.

For midi switching (amps, efx, etc) I currently use a DMC Ground Control Pro, but will be changing that to a Fractal Audio MFC-101 in the near future.

There is an editor (non-official) out that allows powerful editing features to be used on a computer, but mine unit is new enough that I haven't taken the time to learn to use the midi/usb interface (mine is a Midiman 2+2 anniversary edition) yet, Besides that I've heard an official version of the editor is in the works so I may just wait for that.

Youtube has a lot of great videos, some from famous artists who now use the Axe-Fx. You should also check out both the Fractal Audio site, and the Fractal Audio forum for much more thorough and in depth info, as well as a lot of audio examples.

Cheers!!

Keith

Guitar in--> Axe-Fx-->Boss 1600 Recorder/mixer---> Focal CMS-50 powered studio monitors

I can use the headphone in on the Boss 1600 if I want too, but I never do.

You can use an Midi pedal board to switch patches, they make a floor board now for the Axe-fx. I only record with mine, not live yet. I may go live with it, if I get the jazz band together. But for me, it is worth it's weight in gold for direct recording.

_DSC6038.jpg

_DSC6041.jpg

I think if you bought it, your level of playing might actually get better- because you will be so damn thrilled that you never want to quit playing...fo' real!

OK, saying things like this is just pushing me toward a purchase and having my wife leave me. :diablo_mini: I guess that would give me even more time to play. Huh. :idea1:

Again, please, not trying to be argumentative, but I'm just wondering why Fractal Audio chose not to include a USB connection to their unit? Isn't MIDI pretty antiquated in comparison? I can't think it would be that expensive to add?

All that said, this discussion led me to watch WAAYY too many videos on YouTube on both processors; some of the comments in the head to head comparisons AREN'T as civl as our coversation!! haha.

Again, please, not trying to be argumentative, but I'm just wondering why Fractal Audio chose not to include a USB connection to their unit? Isn't MIDI pretty antiquated in comparison? I can't think it would be that expensive to add?

All that said, this discussion led me to watch WAAYY too many videos on YouTube on both processors; some of the comments in the head to head comparisons AREN'T as civl as our coversation!! haha.

I'm not sure Brian. It's a valid question. Maybe it's one of the reasons I like the Axe-Fx so much.... if FREES ME FROM MY COMPUTER!!!

Midi is for switching systems and using it to interface with other fx, preamps and other useful things. Its an industry standard method of getting gear to talk to each other regardless of manufacturer. I can use midi to get something like a podxtlive, fractal, gmajor to change fx and amp channels of either my mesa LS or 4 channel Egnater at the same time and also to work all together at once. A usb port would sit unused.

USB is just a useful thing to have at home or in a studio working with an interface or for downloading/uploading upgrades and patches.

They two serve different purposes. USB connectivity is less important to me than midi.

I am trying to navigate this site in the correct manner, so please excuse me in advance is this topic is in the wrong location or otherwise "taboo". I tried the search function to see if the topic had already been discussed, and could not use "pod hd" as a search string.

Checking to see if anyone is using the new Line 6 Pod HD efx/amp modeler unit. I have the HD300 and really like it. I use the USB port to connect to my IMAC. At that point, I can jam with the Mule, ABB, Robben, Billy, etc with a respectable tone!!! They don't seem to mind at all! Garageband "sees" it and it is easy to use there as well.

The efx are OK, the verbs are nice. There are only (16) amps, which works for me! Lots of tweeking options, which is easy when connected to the computer.

I am going to learn how to attach audio samples and post some of the sounds I have been working on.

I have the POD XTlive and the M13. Both cool units. Really like the M13 better. It suits my needs better as I run it with my real amps so dont need the amp sims.

I tried the POD HD 300,400,500 and did think the amp sims seemed to have a bit more life in them both in feel and sound than the xtlive. I really only use the xtlive in the fxloop of my amp for the fx and have the amp and cab sims disconnected. The M13 does this better in so many ways so looks like the xtlive is a redundant item now. Will still use it for straight to the desk gigs. I dont like it so much but people still get up and dance despite me.

Not a line6 fanboy but they do make some useful items that get the job done.

Looking forward to your audio clips. :icon_thumright:

Mark

what does Fractal sell for?

The POD system is what led me to my beloved Soldanos. After that, it was all about collecting every amp they modeled; it's a disease, won't you please give???

I really enjoyed randomly spanking the footpedal to get different amps, effects or even cabs. For an afternoon of noodling, they can take you over the rainbow.

Ya know it's funny..When I played a Line 6 Flextone..(Great amps, by the way) My FAVORITE setting was a Soldano Overdrive..It seems that great minds think alike.. :biggrin_mini:

Archived