Heritage Owners Club

Cable Comparison - Steiner Wins!

je00143

Gotta tell you what happened. I got a cable from “Steiner“ - 12ft., one 90 degree plug for my 575. I don’t have access to an ABX switch so I did the next best thing.

I set up my guitar with a Ronald Cube80X, on Blackface and on Jazz Chorus, with the tone controls at about 9 o’clock. We used a Shure SM-57 just off axis and about

4 inches out. I put myself at the length of the cable to minimize any leakage from the guitar itself. We recorded the mic on a Macbook Pro using Garage Band and a Tascam

mic pre for USB. Playback was through Shure SM - 440 headphones and Etymotic in-ears, SH4s, I think. Volume on the guitar was at 5, and since I use Stellartones,

I took them out of the circuit using the straight-through setting. Pick-up was the HRW in the neck position. Strings were D’Addario Flatwound 13-56. Pick was

a V-Pick 1.5mm large triangle.

The cables were the Steiner Special, a Monster Jazz 500, a Zolla and a GC $2.99 special. I played the same three songs as close together in style and speed as

I could. Two of us listened to the results and recorded our likes and dislikes on a 1-10 scale. My friend’s ears are about 30 years younger than mine.

Net-net: Greg’s cable won hands down. It was not even close. What got my friend and I was not so much sparkling highs and great lows and all that bs,but just the

evenness of the sound. Describing this is like describing a great glass of wine or a pretty woman, meaning it is hard to do - and hard to do it justice.

Like the learned judge said, I know it when I hear it. And let me tell ya, I like what I hear. It is all in the ear of the beholder, true. But I’m happy.

I bought a 20' cable from Steiner a couple weeks ago. I never imagined a cable would improve tone!

but I Suck!! Will It make me play like Billy Gibbons? That's the kind of cable I need..

No, you just need one of these. Makes me the rock star I am today:

TalentBooster.jpg

I tired one of those... turned all the knobs up, strummed a cord, and it self destructed :dontknow:

Big plus on Gt Cables though; Not to mention I will never buy a guitar cable again that doesn't have a silent tip :icon_thumleft:

I tired one of those... turned all the knobs up, strummed a cord, and it self destructed :dontknow:

Big plus on Gt Cables though; Not to mention I will never buy a guitar cable again that doesn't have a silent tip :icon_thumleft:

You must of hit the big red button on the back for self distruct. That's only meant for blowing up the stage after you rock the house!

big%20red%20button.jpg

No, you just need one of these. Makes me the rock star I am today:

TalentBooster.jpg

i didn't see that in the Musicians Friend catalog..Are they on backorder? :drunken_smilie:

Mr. Steiner hooked me up with a nice cable with the silent tip, which is really cool. No more horrible noise as I'm fumbling around with the jack. I've got to get some more of different lengths. He's a great guy to deal with.

Mr. Steiner hooked me up with a nice cable with the silent tip, which is really cool. No more horrible noise as I'm fumbling around with the jack. I've got to get some more of different lengths. He's a great guy to deal with.

Did you notice a tone improvement as well?

Archived