Heritage Owners Club

Attenuaters

Guest HRB853370

I can't tell you what it *is*, but I think I can tell you what it *does*. It makes it so that you can get your overdriven tube sounds at a lower volume. You can buy attenuators, or you can buy amps that have power scaling - such as the Suhr Badger and the Tone King Metropolitan.

Guest HRB853370

I can't tell you what it *is*, but I think I can tell you what it *does*. It makes it so that you can get your overdriven tube sounds at a lower volume. You can buy attenuators, or you can buy amps that have power scaling - such as the Suhr Badger and the Tone King Metropolitan.

Well if thats true then I am glad I have the Blackstar 5 watter coming. From the reviews that I read, it provides a great British or American amp tone, depending on which way you turn the infinite shape knob, and at lower volume levels. That is what I am looking for.

There are a few different types of attenuators... but for the most part, it's something that would go between the output of the amp and the speaker. They syphon off some of the power and turn it into something else (disipated as heat, or in some cases power a light bulb, coil, etc...) whats left over goes to the speaker with the same over driven sound, just a lot less loud.

There is also variac's which lower the power level in the amp circuit itself (drops B+), but I don't recommend those as they can damage the tubes and output transformer.

I've only ever played around with a handful of attenuators; but in my opinion, I still think a 5 watter cranked sounds better than 50 watts cranked and attenuated (though the best is still 50 watts cranked, period!)

Just found it. This months guitar player with Jeff Beck on the cover. Eminence Red Coat speakers. They have a knob on the back of the magnet you can turn for varying levels of attenuation. Goes up to 9db.

Guest HRB853370

There is also variac's which lower the power level in the amp circuit itself (drops B+), but I don't recommend those as they can damage the tubes and output transformer.

KB, per your comment above, are you referring to amps that have a triode and diode mode, such as my Gibby GA40?

KB, per your comment above, are you referring to amps that have a triode and diode mode, such as my Gibby GA40?

Nope, though I'm also not a big fan of that method either :)

In a nutshell that basically just turns off half of the power tube

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

I have a 100 watt Weber MASS attenuator with a balanced line out, volume, treb/mid/bass tone stack for that line out, the footswitch for attenuation on/off, headphone jack, and wall wart power input for the footswitch. I love it.

Besides knocking down the volume of a cranked up amp to usable gig levels, mine eliminated the need to mic my amp in the studio or playing out, period. In addition, I control the tone and line out volume to the board instead of depending on the sound man to do it. If your amp has a bit of hum at loud levels, the attenuator kills that hum as well.

I built one from a schematic in a Guitar Player column...it was within the last couple years. It works fine, but it hasn't become a necessity. Attenuators do affect the sound of the amp too, not just the volume. I usually am able match an amp to the situation. I have several lower powered amps. home brew tweed champ, or deluxe, if that don't work up to the 18watter etc etc

You need one because you play too dern loud. The attenuator allows you to play and get the sound you like (typically, tube saturation/distortion) at a volume everyone else likes.

Guest HRB853370

You need one because you play too dern loud. The attenuator allows you to play and get the sound you like (typically, tube saturation/distortion) at a volume everyone else likes.

Huh? What did you say Mark? I can't hear ya, I got my Fender Twin cranked up to 7 with my ACSB H-150...

Huh? What did you say Mark? I can't hear ya, I got my Fender Twin cranked up to 7 with my ACSB H-150...

Rock on...

Have at thee! :icon_spiderman:

Archived