Heritage Owners Club

Better than coffee.

Guest tomdread

Guest tomdread

Had a sad weird week which kept me from any contact with guitars or amps. I go to work there's guitars, I come home there's guitars, I go out there's guitars. There is always guitars. There never isnt. Last 7 days were strange on a few levels. Sad farewell, happy reunions, 1st time meetings which shouldnt have had to wait so long and not one guitar in any of it. Sitting in the plane on the flight home I devised a plan.

So I hooked up some amps all at once today. Combination of slaving and stereo.

It was very loud and joyous. Very full and rich tone, and I genuinely mean tone rather than just sound. The strat sounded unbef******lievable clean and slightly overdriven. The detail and touch sensitivity was daunting. All complex and swirling. Some kind of tonal nirvana. I had to stop playing, put the amps on standby and sit down and consider what was going on a few times. It was almost like it was too much to take in.

Ive done similar before but not with fresh and rested ears.

Sitting there lightly strumming an open G chord so that each string rung out and filled the room(neighborhood) like a physical presence I remembered that the only gig I do is acoustic guitar.

I want to build a band around something based off this.

P1150811.jpg

What a story, and the way you described it, that rig sounds amazing! Wish I was there to hear the same thing. What kid of fender amps are there?

Guest tomdread

That seems like it be awesome. I did a small version of that long ago, and yeah, it rocks.

Hopefully you can spend some time using that setup and enjoy the tone...

I cant think of a venue around here where I could use it all. Believe me when I say i have given this a fair amount of thought over the last few hours.

Its also going to be a challenge finding room for the two drummers and their kits.

Guest tomdread

What a story, and the way you described it, that rig sounds amazing! Wish I was there to hear the same thing. What kid of fender amps are there?

A Concert and a Deville. I only used those slaved off the Mesa and Egnater. The Deville, the Mesa and a couple of cabs work well together.

Sometimes I have a hard time saying anything other times I prattle aimlessly on non stop. One day I will find a balance.

But it did sound great. Rich and dimensional. Kinda like how you imagine a guitar might, or should really sound.

Sorry your week didn't go as well as you would have wished, the setup looks awesome and apparently sounds awesome as well. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Now get some coffee, or a brew.

Multi-amp playing is over, above and beyond nirvana. I bought a Bradshaw system so I could split the guitar signal a dozen ways to as many amps. Who needs coffee?!

Now, all you need is a KBP810 sonic jewel to push it over the edge :occasion14:

Guest tomdread

Multi-amp playing is over, above and beyond nirvana. I bought a Bradshaw system so I could split the guitar signal a dozen ways to as many amps. Who needs coffee?!

Now, all you need is a KBP810 sonic jewel to push it over the edge :occasion14:

What I was wondering while setting this up is where would I run the fx? particularly reverb and delay. I kept the mesa and egnater dry as they were the preamps I was using. I used the fenders reverb but it seemed to get kinda splashy and not natural for some reason. I tried a few configurations but couldnt find a reverb I was completely happy with.

Do the same on that rare occasion when my wife is out for a bit. It's like diving in, and going to the bottom of the sonic deep end, and just swimming there.... I'll occasionally daisy two amps at a gig, but the band I play in has a practice of keeping the lid on volume, as compared to other fairly reckless units around here, so playing a pile of amps out is out of the question, but I've often thought how fab it would be. And better than coffee??? Maybe, but not by much....

... The strat sounded unbef******lievable clean and slightly overdriven.

Yep. This is where a strat shines imho. I haven't heard a humbucker equipped guitar that can come close; single coils absolutely rule for clean to lightly overdriven tones.

Sorry the week went bad, at least the weekend went good. Every time you guys post pictures of your set ups I realize I really need a man-cave.

What I was wondering while setting this up is where would I run the fx? particularly reverb and delay. I kept the mesa and egnater dry as they were the preamps I was using. I used the fenders reverb but it seemed to get kinda splashy and not natural for some reason. I tried a few configurations but couldnt find a reverb I was completely happy with.

Dunno, I don't use effects. I estimate effects are for making the amp sound different; with enough amps, you already have a different pallet of sound. Want to change it around? Change volumes on the amps.

I find reverb is best served off the trees and outbuildings :confused1:

Guest tomdread

Yep. This is where a strat shines imho. I haven't heard a humbucker equipped guitar that can come close; single coils absolutely rule for clean to lightly overdriven tones.

Sorry the week went bad, at least the weekend went good. Every time you guys post pictures of your set ups I realize I really need a man-cave.

I clean it regularly but it is always just a slab of chaos. As soon as I finish putting everything away its all back out strewn across the floor and amps. I couldnt cope in the real world(anything outside of this room)Id be shut down quick smart.

Dunno, I don't use effects. I estimate effects are for making the amp sound different; with enough amps, you already have a different pallet of sound. Want to change it around? Change volumes on the amps.

I find reverb is best served off the trees and outbuildings :confused1:

You do have some mighty fine sounding reverb'n trees out at Steiner Acres :smile_mini2:

I'm not much of an effects person either, I like making the amp (or amps as it were) do all the work.

Don't you have to be careful how you hook them up? You can do some serious damage?

Im pretty sure I could hook them up wrong. The damage done would be not wanting to play through just one amp ever again....and deafness.

All I really did was choose my favourite preamps and slave them out into other amps power amps and then make sure they all had a speaker load on them.

I have a couple of other 212 cabs that I shouldve thrown in the mix as well.

I couldnt really get past the clean and just pushed sounds. Im glad tomdread was there to share it with me.

Guest HRB853370

Do the same on that rare occasion when my wife is out for a bit. It's like diving in, and going to the bottom of the sonic deep end, and just swimming there.... I'll occasionally daisy two amps at a gig, but the band I play in has a practice of keeping the lid on volume, as compared to other fairly reckless units around here, so playing a pile of amps out is out of the question, but I've often thought how fab it would be. And better than coffee??? Maybe, but not by much....

Yoslate, please send me the schematic. I have 7 tube amps and want to hook them all up together and melt the paint off the wall of my house. I have no clue how to do this.

Archived