Heritage Owners Club

Wampler Pedals

koula901

I'm shopping for new dirt because I'm tired of my Boss MD2. Was looking at the pedals at the Wampler web site and saw a number of quite impressive pedals. For high distortion, I can't decide between Super Plextortion or Plextortion. These make one's amp sound like a Marshall JCM800 and a Marshall JTM45 respectively. But the real kicker is their Black '65 Overdrive, which was demo'd through a Epi Valve Jr, and made it sound very much like a Fender amp - it was amazing sound. Anybody have Wampler pedals that they love?

Two good demos there.. nice sounds.

You'd have to decide which tone fits you.

I liked the tone of the '65, but it only reaches a certain level of gain perhaps.

The Plexi takes you into harder gain areas, as expected.

Hey Fred,

I like and think I need both - the SP for high gain, and the Black '65 for a nice Blues tone. Budget constraints will probably dictate I get the plexi tone first, and get the other one later. These interest me because you can put them in front of any amp and change the tone - last saturday I finally demo'd a Fender Deluxe Reissue and like the clean tone, but we couldn't find a dirt pedal to put in front of it that gave it a real nice high-gainey sound - not even the Muff/Pi; but if the super plexi works well w/the Fender, then, that's a great set up. And, hell, the Black '65 pedal makes an Epi Valve Jr sound like a Fender amp - that's no small feat! : )

I've been eyeing Wampler myself, Katy, and am where you are in only hearing the demos. Haven't tried one live. The Paisley pedal is the one that inerests me... haven't convinced myself it'll do any better than my bad monkey (yet).

While I don't have a wampler yet, I do like their Ecstasy pedal. Great pedal for thickening up single coils to get them to stand out. A friend just bought the Paisley because it absolutely rocks... I'm just not ready to dish out $200 for a pedal....

Yeah, I looked at the Bad Monky on you tube, and that's a pretty good one, too. The Paisley looks to be a pedal mainly for light crunch/overdrive.

I knew Brian back when his deal was to provide schematics for mod'ing your own pedals. You had to subscribe to his email list, then you got all his mods for free. Guess his big break came when he hooked up with Brent Mason and helped develop the Hot Wired pedal. I've played one of those - very nice pedal. I recently picked up an EGO Compressor for my pedal board. I like it well enough it's still there. :drunken_smilie:

I got a used Super Ecstasy a while back, in terms of quality I would rank it close to the Hermida Zendrive. It's very smooth, great for low gain tones, it's one of those pedals that you have to check to see if it's on, it's only when turned off you realise just how good it is.

I'm shopping for new dirt because I'm tired of my Boss MD2. Was looking at the pedals at the Wampler web site and saw a number of quite impressive pedals. For high distortion, I can't decide between Super Plextortion or Plextortion. These make one's amp sound like a Marshall JCM800 and a Marshall JTM45 respectively. But the real kicker is their Black '65 Overdrive, which was demo'd through a Epi Valve Jr, and made it sound very much like a Fender amp - it was amazing sound. Anybody have Wampler pedals that they love?

Have you checked out the MI Audio Tube Zone ? There are some great demos on YouTube, haven't tried one myself but it seems to cover a lot of ground from low to high gain tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI9ySNS-Mv4

Yeah, I looked at the Bad Monky on you tube, and that's a pretty good one, too. The Paisley looks to be a pedal mainly for light crunch/overdrive.

Now I had a Bad Monkey and for $20, its a great pedal. Its pure digital, so it cannot be modded. I sold mine not too long ago, but they are really cheap. Gibson listed them as one of the top 10 pedals for under $50 (not OD pedals, but any type of pedal)

Archived