Heritage Owners Club

Pedals: Delay, Reverb

koula901

I really like JCA amps. They recently came out with more pedals, one being a delay. I'd like to try it, but there really aren't a lot of different manufactures out there you can actually try before you buy. Boss and Digitech are about all I can find....

carl martin delayla is a fantastic delay pedal

I also have a boss dd5 that is pretty versatile but not analog sounding

I primarily use tube tape echo from fulltone, sounds gorgeous

also I sprung for a ( no pun intended..ha ) Dr Z "Z-verb" reverb unit, that is amazing as well, after trying a whole bunch of reverb pedals & not being happy with them

I guess I was spoiled by my old twin reverb, had a great verb sound that is hard to match in a footpedal

Guest HRB853370

Folks,

I've got a Boss DD7 Delay, and a Boss RV5 Reverb. Lately, I'm not entirely happy with their tone. It seems to me that they make one's guitar sound cold and brittle. What Delay and Reverb (for those of you who have to use a reverb pedal) do you use, how do you like it, and can anyone make recommendations for delays/reverbs that don't suck tone or make one's guitar sound cold.

If you are not happy with the RV-5 you should give the FDR-1 a go. Its about the same price and its modeled after the Fender 63 reverb tank.

Im going stomp mad at the moment. Just got a Trex Room Mate. Cant turn it off. Even with amps that have beautiful tube driven reverb.

Im building a retro rock'n'roll, bluesy pedal board and this room mate is kinda turning out to be a keystone. Big regret is not keeping the H&K Replex delay. Kicking myself now.

Guest HRB853370

Oh yeah! Great pedal!!!

IMG_6958.jpg

I also use this quite a bit...

TalentBooster.jpg

Brent, that pedalboard is a clusterf***! If you were organized your pedal board would resemble this!

:icon_thumright:

BTW, where can I buy that talent pedal, that is what is missing from my board.

post-2130-0-48413500-1303575296_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

MXR Carbon Copy for me. I'd very happily have at least half a dozen different delays....but I can't afford that, and I'm happy with what I've got.

:)

I'm just curious . . what would you do with a half dozen delays? I've been looking into this a little further. It seems that an analog delay would have a nice warm tone to it but wouldn't cut through in live band situations, whereas a digital delay would be brighter sounding, and cut through during live performance.

Ive always liked to use 2 delays, one for shortish 250ms-350ms with 1 maybe 2 repeats and one for long 500-700.

I hate using a tap tempo i got other stuff to do and I dont like precise tempo delays.

Sometimes use them as individual effects and sometimes both together. I use reverb to smooth the delays out. I dont like them pinging away in the background. I like them to decay softly and the reverb helps absorb and soften the decay. I usually use both very lightly.

I like analogue delays and have never found a problem with them being audible in the mix. I have digital delays and use them probably more than the analogue but i never think about them being analogue or digital just that if its working with the rest of the chain to get the sound I want.

I just sold my all time favourite delay, the H&K Replex. I just couldnt get around the space it took up on the floor.

I'm just curious . . what would you do with a half dozen delays? I've been looking into this a little further. It seems that an analog delay would have a nice warm tone to it but wouldn't cut through in live band situations, whereas a digital delay would be brighter sounding, and cut through during live performance.

K, you're doing waaaaaay too much speculation, reading and relying on others opinions to get your rig right. You need to do whats good for you. Personally, I could care less if one person says "digital" or another says "analog" or "use this OD" or "that Dist". Blah blah blah!! I use what I want to use. So stop listening to all that diatribe and do your sound. .............. are you listening to me?!! ......... :biggrin_mini:

Using a delay and reverb are fighting each other giving you that tone. It may be best to use an analog delay and cut back on Reverb when using the delay.

Hey Detroit,

I never use both at the same time. If fact, the reverb is not even on the board.

K, you're doing waaaaaay too much speculation, reading and relying on others opinions to get your rig right. You need to do whats good for you. Personally, I could care less if one person says "digital" or another says "analog" or "use this OD" or "that Dist". Blah blah blah!! I use what I want to use. So stop listening to all that diatribe and do your sound. .............. are you listening to me?!! ......... :biggrin_mini:

Kenny,

I hear you. Rest assured that I'm not as easily influenced as you may think, because in the next moment, I read another opinion, and I weigh it all, explore, and evolve to my own conclusions. I've got an aural vision of what my rig should sound like and am reaching for that. Soon, though, I need to put as much, or more energy into developing my playing, as I do on the gas!

Guest HRB853370

Kenny,

I hear you. Rest assured that I'm not as easily influenced as you may think, because in the next moment, I read another opinion, and I weigh it all, explore, and evolve to my own conclusions. I've got an aural vision of what my rig should sound like and am reaching for that. Soon, though, I need to put as much, or more energy into developing my playing, as I do on the gas!

I think the man has spoken!!!

Archived