Heritage Owners Club

Portable PA systems

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

I am in need of a portable PA system for some upcoming acoustic gigs. I know of the Yamaha Stagepas and the Fender Passport, but I know of no others, and have not compared the Fender and Yamaha. I would prefer to buy a nice used one of course. Does anyone have any experience with portable PA systems?

A friend of mine has a Fender Passport and it seems to work well. For our duo gig I have a Bose PAS system and it works for both indoor and outdoor gigs - really like it a lot, our main soundsystem. For some small solo or duo gigs I have a Roland AC-60, that works just fine. I have a Bose Tonematch (kind of a preamp with some fantastic settings) and will run that into the Roland.

I went through this drill a while back. I tried a number of the self contained PA units like a Fender Passport, a Peavey and Yamaha. Honestly I found them all a little lacking in the quality sound dept. I think of the bunch, at least to me, the best was the Yamaha in terms of sound.

Since I already had a mixer, what I ended up doing was to just buying a nice set of powered PA speakers, which are now WAY overkill for my meagre needs. But compared to the price of the standalone portable PA's these are much more powerful and sound MUCH better. From B&H I got a package deal on some RCF speakers complete with cables, covers, poles, and stands.

Not sure if this helps your cause, but I am suggesting that you don't limit yourself to choosing one of the self contained PA units. Assuming you have, or can scrounge up a mixer, what you want is a good sound, and these days powered speakers are the way to go for that in a no fuss way.

I am in need of a portable PA system for some upcoming acoustic gigs. I know of the Yamaha Stagepas and the Fender Passport, but I know of no others, and have not compared the Fender and Yamaha. I would prefer to buy a nice used one of course. Does anyone have any experience with portable PA systems?

If you don't already have a small mixer, a Mackie 808 Series (either M or S) is a good unit. If you could find a used one in good shape, coupled with a couple of Neodymium 12 inch cabinets, you would have more bang for your buck than the "package" Portable systems. A Yamaha powered head would work well also, but the I prefer the Mackies. the Peavey P series tops sound pretty good. The horn driver is small, but would work well enough for acoustic, low volume gigs. They are very light speakers.

Guest HRB853370

If you don't already have a small mixer, a Mackie 808 Series (either M or S) is a good unit. If you could find a used one in good shape, coupled with a couple of Neodymium 12 inch cabinets, you would have more bang for your buck than the "package" Portable systems. A Yamaha powered head would work well also, but the I prefer the Mackies. the Peavey P series tops sound pretty good. The horn driver is small, but would work well enough for acoustic, low volume gigs. They are very light speakers.

I have a Peavey XRD 680 8 channel powered mixer which is used in my basement rehearsal room. But its too much to lug around for just an acoustic gig in a small room. That is why I want one of those portable systems, to use exclusively when not much power is required.

I really like the Bose system if price wasn't a consideration. The Passport system works quite well I think.

I agree, the Bose is an expensive option and even more so if you add the ToneMatch system. I very much enjoy playing through that system. The sound is amazingly rich and full. It covers a lot of space and is easy to set up and pack away. I don't have enough good things to say about it. Probably not the option that this thread is intended to discuss. I would imagine that you could find some nice powered speakers as suggested that would fit your need. To me, the compact systems are more an option for practice not so much a gig.

I went through this drill a while back. I tried a number of the self contained PA units like a Fender Passport, a Peavey and Yamaha. Honestly I found them all a little lacking in the quality sound dept. I think of the bunch, at least to me, the best was the Yamaha in terms of sound.

Since I already had a mixer, what I ended up doing was to just buying a nice set of powered PA speakers, which are now WAY overkill for my meagre needs. But compared to the price of the standalone portable PA's these are much more powerful and sound MUCH better. From B&H I got a package deal on some RCF speakers complete with cables, covers, poles, and stands.

Not sure if this helps your cause, but I am suggesting that you don't limit yourself to choosing one of the self contained PA units. Assuming you have, or can scrounge up a mixer, what you want is a good sound, and these days powered speakers are the way to go for that in a no fuss way.

+1.

I went with Yamaha MSR400's and just use either a cheap little Yamaha mixer MG10/2 for smaller occasions or what ever I need for other occasions.

I tried the Yamaha stagepass 300 and 500 but I also found them lacking. The part I liked about the MSR's was I could use them for bigger gigs if I used a sub or subs or I can also use them as my monitors when we are using full band rig. One for my guitar and one for vocals or what ever combination of my own and other instruments/vocals I want.

For the dollar I get more use out of them than I would ever get out of a Stagepass or similar.

Another vote for a decent powered speaker. Wouldn't even need two --just use a single and a small mixer. Then, as others have suggested, you not only get better sound but also a lot of versatility. For example, we have one band member who always wants more of himself in the monitors than the rest of us can stand, so we use a mackie as his monitor to provide him with an independent monitor mix without ramping up the volume in everybody else's monitor mix.

Another vote for a decent powered speaker. Wouldn't even need two --just use a single and a small mixer. Then, as others have suggested, you not only get better sound but also a lot of versatility. For example, we have one band member who always wants more of himself in the monitors than the rest of us can stand, so we use a mackie as his monitor to provide him with an independent monitor mix without ramping up the volume in everybody else's monitor mix.

I take sends out of the main desk and use a little 12ch mixer to get my own personal space on the stage. Keyboard player does the same.Keeps everything controllable, full, even and quiet(quiet if I want it to be). Downside is more leads and gear to pack up. Up side is clarity and a personalized mix. No sound guy to upset or bother.

If I had it all do over again or was just starting my PA, Powered would be the way I'd go. All of it! You need a lot more electrical cords. But a lot less amps. And if I wasn't so addicted to guitar buying I'd start swapping out gear now.

Guest HRB853370

Here's a nice low cost ($400) solution; Carvin

Which model? I went to the site but cant find the model you are referring to!

Which model? I went to the site but cant find the model you are referring to!

I don't understand your question, the link leads directly to the AG100D model which sounds to me like the answer to your question. If the link doesn't work (it does for me) then just go to Carvin.com and look under guitar amps for the AG100D. It's a three channel 100 watt SS amp that allows you to use ch.1 for acoustic guitar, ch.2 for bass, & ch.3 for mic/cd/keyboard etc.

I agree, the Bose is an expensive option and even more so if you add the ToneMatch system. I very much enjoy playing through that system. The sound is amazingly rich and full. It covers a lot of space and is easy to set up and pack away. I don't have enough good things to say about it. Probably not the option that this thread is intended to discuss. I would imagine that you could find some nice powered speakers as suggested that would fit your need. To me, the compact systems are more an option for practice not so much a gig.

It also doesn't surprise me the means in which some of our HOC members to purchase just about anything and everthing the rest of us can only dream of.

Not sure Detroit. We are working musicians and play quite often in a lot of different venues. I think for us the Bose was a business decision that has certainly paid off, it's reliable and gets a lot of use. The Bose also allows us to fit in a very small area as a duo, and that gets us work at some venues that others can't. So, it's a tool for us. To your point, it if was a sound system that stayed at home or was just for practice we wouldn't have been able to swing or justify the cost.

Guest HRB853370

I don't understand your question, the link leads directly to the AG100D model which sounds to me like the answer to your question. If the link doesn't work (it does for me) then just go to Carvin.com and look under guitar amps for the AG100D. It's a three channel 100 watt SS amp that allows you to use ch.1 for acoustic guitar, ch.2 for bass, & ch.3 for mic/cd/keyboard etc.

Right, ok that is what I saw too when I initially clicked your link. I am not interested in an acoustic guitar amp. The thread was about a portable PA system as I want to be able to plug a microphone with an low z xlr connection to it. I already own an acoustic guitar amp. Nonetheless, I appreciate your thoughts!

Archived