Heritage Owners Club

soldering station

I need some opinions. I have an old pen type soldering iron and was looking to upgrade to a variable heat soldering station. I'm only Going to be doing occasional repairs (jacks, cables, etc.) I was thinking an inexpensive one would suit me just fine or is it worth it to look for one with hot air or oven? Not sure I really need all that.

Do you guys ever have a need for the hot air gun or not?

+1 for Wellers!

I do have one and occasionally need it... though often when I have just a small bit of thin heatshrink to apply, I'll just run my solderig tip by it to shrink it up (not actually touching it of course).

+1 for Wellers!

I do have one and occasionally need it... though often when I have just a small bit of thin heatshrink to apply, I'll just run my solderig tip by it to shrink it up (not actually touching it of course).

I'm thinking for the price difference I can buy quite a few bic lighters, I don't use heat shrink much anyway.

Thanks guys think I know what i want.

I'm thinking for the price difference I can buy quite a few bic lighters, I don't use heat shrink much anyway.

Thanks guys think I know what i want.

I wouldn't use a lighter... but in a pinch a hair dryer can do the job as well.

By hot air gun, do you mean for heat shrink tubing? I have one, but then I work on other things that just guitars.

Oven? What does an over have to do with soldering?

Weller or Hako make the best stations.

By hot air gun, do you mean for heat shrink tubing? I have one, but then I work on other things that just guitars.

Oven? What does an over have to do with soldering?

Weller or Hako make the best stations.

Not sure, I just noticed some of the models I looked at had a "pre-heating" oven. If someone does know what that's for clue me in.

Archived