Heritage Owners Club

Heritage change in manufacturing..... a little birdie told me...

Kuz

Due to popular demand, and we all know perception is reality... Heritage is now making 150s with long neck tenons.

Yes, this is absolutely true.

I could careless myself, my four 150s sound great and the necks are SUPER stable, but now what will the LP Forum guys b!tch about???!!!

Great example of Heritage listening to it's customers wants and then instituting the change after weighing the options. I heard that the changing in manufacturing/re-tooling was minimal.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is outstanding news Kuz. I'm of the same opinion as you on the stability of the neck pocket, but the word will really get out now about the quality of the Kalamazoo made product.

Yep, this is indeed true

I didn't think much about it at the time because quite frankly I never put much thought into it... but when I was at the factory checking on my 157 last Marv talked about this - and how he couldn't do it on mine because of the cupids bow and three pup setup.

I think it is a good move... marketing and construction wise.

Heritage is based on quality instruments and the connection to Gibson's past. That past is not the norlin era, it is the connection to those great guitars built in the late 50's early 60's... anything that puts them that much closer to that connection is a good thing imo.

when did this change take effect? mine is getting finished this week. thanks.

Very recent change. I doubt yours has the change, but I wouldn't worry one second about. All four of my 150s are the best playing/sounding LP style guitar I have ever heard (including Gibby).

Again, this is just meeting the public's perception.

I have never heard where a long tenon improves tone, and it has never been confirmed to improve neck stability.

It's just a trump card that Gibson held over Heritage, that they had a long tenon and Heritage did not. FWIW, PRS has the longest neck tenon and I have never heard they are the BEST sound guitars ever due to their long tenon.

You are going to love your Heritage as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!

The headstock. The pick guard. The body shape. The logo on the headstock. The......

Good point, but those are just "cosmetic" differences. I am sure they will say "The slightly different cutaway on the Les Paul holds all the tone"..... whatever :rolleyes_mini:

Very recent change. I doubt yours has the change, but I wouldn't worry one second about. All four of my 150s are the best playing/sounding LP style guitar I have ever heard (including Gibby)....

You are going to love your Heritage as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks much.

I don't think it will change the value of the previous models. But if its a true improvement, more power to Heritage. Now if we can get some mainstream popular musician to play one...

What're you nuts!?

Mainstream popularity means mainstream prices. We already have ONE Gibson, we don't need two.

;)

As usual: thanks to Heritage for being the stand-up company it is. There are too few companies out there in the old style.

I heard it was exclusive with the dealer where my 150 came from but OK. No problem with the stability on my 2006 with the "shorty".

OK everyone with a recent 150 pull your neck pup and take a photo and include serial numbers.

Hmmm, interesting news. The stand on tenons before was always "long enough". The stock tenon seemed to be somewhere between the current Gibs "short" and "long" tenon. Which I thought was pretty cool in it's own right. This change is just the 150s? Cool. But .... just one more thing I'll miss seeing when it comes up at the tour this year. And for that ......... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :cray_mini:

" . . . Now if we can get some mainstream popular musician to play one . . . "

Like you, many of us want our guitar choices validated by a popular and/or respected musician, whatever the genre, but in my mind, the powers at Heritage want their instruments held in high esteem for quality, playability, tone, appearance, and workmanship, but still want a laid-back shop environment where they don't have to answer to the masses. In other words, they still want their Fridays off.

The long tenon is a response to market demand, not an improvement.

If the Heritage masters thought it was a better design, they would have done it long ago. They chose not to for decades.

Some players believe the long tenon provides better sustain.

The good news is that we all have a choice.

The important point here is that there is nothing inferior in the traditional Heritage design.

What're you nuts!?

Mainstream popularity means mainstream prices. We already have ONE Gibson, we don't need two.

;)

As usual: thanks to Heritage for being the stand-up company it is. There are too few companies out there in the old style.

If that happens, that means the value of what we own is that much sweeter! But you are right there on both points. Mainstream prices go with mainstream artists. And very few left on the old school process...

All right - maybe next month we can get an article in Cork Sniifer...

2di11cm.jpg

This is a joke people - I think this is great news, but it is funny what the Cork Sniffers will sniff cork about.

Now this is some funny stuff..."Penny loafer Roundup" What a hoot!

Last I checked most of the Gibson LPs, except for the historics, do not have the long neck tenon, even the LP customs and Supremes.

Why people are so nuts about it, I have no idea. Sure it's how the "magical ones" were made, but no one has really proven that is what makes them magical.

If that happens, that means the value of what we own is that much sweeter! But you are right there on both points. Mainstream prices go with mainstream artists. And very few left on the old school process...

Mainstream enough for me ^_^

(As are the many other fine Heritage endorsing artists as well, of course)

img_2731_std.jpg

For the last couple years, I've wondered why Gibson hasn't come back to Heritage for something that I would call the "KR9".

It would work like this. They give Marv et al a new R9 and all the dimensions involved. Heritage builds them a few hundred R9s the old fashioned way, right there in the Kalamazoo building. Each KR9 gets a set of Throbaks made on the original winders. Add a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard from somebody's old growth stores.

Let's assume that Heritage would have no interest in cutting the G-guys a particularly sweet deal. So...

H150 with Gibson headstock, made to R9 specs and with the same level of equipment: $3000 net to Gibson

Throbak SLE-101s $400 wholesale

TKL case: $150

Total: $3550

What's a guitar like that worth? Well, the Bloomfield and Peter Green, I mean, Melvyn Franks R9s listed for $9200 in VOS finish and typically sold for about $6500 at the cheaper retailers. Even a decent flametop R9 with no attribution sells for $4300 all day. Mind you, all of these are Nashville guitars, made by young people who have no personal connection to those original 1959 guitars.

I figure that a true Kalamazoo Reissue would sell 500 units easy at $9995 street price. Both G and H would clear over a million bucks in pure profit. The dealers would be thrilled. The Japanese collectors would go nuts.

From a G-corporate perspective, there should be no reason not to do it. "Gibson Acoustics", as we all know, was someone else's operation that did guitars on contract before they were purchased and apparently ran both headstocks off the line for a few years.

The headstock. The pick guard. The body shape. The logo on the headstock. The......

:icon_biggrin: Took the words right out of my mouth: The Headstock.

Archived