Heritage Owners Club

Compressors...Do You Squish?

Lately I've been getting back into playing more melody lines along with some of my favorite artists (Benson, Ritenour, Carlton, Paul Jackson Jr., Luther Vandross, etc.) and find using a compressor helps...sometimes.

Faster lines seem to NOT like being compressed as much as slower, more deliberate notes. Sustain is accentuated if the compressor is set for it, but the notes seem to squish more than I like. Paul Jackson Jr. seems to always get the best out of his compressed tones in my view. With his monster chops, it's no wonder! I guess I need to tweak my Super Dyna Comp MXR a bit more. Sometimes it sounds fantastic and other times not so much. I've used the pedal on a few live gigs, but tend to turn it off after a while. Maybe I'm old school (or just OLD!) and like the guitar straight into the amp tone best.

What are your experiences with compressors and which ones do you like or recommend?

Do you use it for live performances, recording or bedroom playing?

I've been an on again / off again compressor user. Right now I'm "on again". I've used my Wampler Ego compressor in a couple of different roles. Initially I used it as a limiter to keep the stage volume under control. Lately I've been using it in the classic form as a sustainer/squisher! on the more traditional country tunes. :biggrin_mini: And I agree with the "sometimes it sounds fantastic" take. Guess it's the venue, the other instruments, whatever. But sometimes I really like it, other nights I won't even touch it. Certainly don't use it as much as the delay, 'verb or ODs.

Know what you mean, Tim. I'm a big fan of Bill Frisell, whom I think uses compression to great effect. I have a Digi-Tech, which I can't quite seem to dial in. I don't like the way it affects the attack of the note, when I have it set right to sustain a note. Maybe I just need a better unit....

I don't like compressors, mainly because it affects my picking dynamics, so, I don't use them.

I don't know that trying out different units would really solve that problem either.

I was intrigued that Kenny used his as a limiter.

I use a Keeley 2 knob compressor and I love it. I use it to get soring sustain with overdrive at very low volumes that can lead to controled feed back if I want it. I use it to enhance my picking attack. I use it to color the tone I get. I use it to get that Nashville studio country tone I have found I like very much. I use it to boost my volume sometimes. I have found so many different uses for the compressor that it has become one of my most used pedals. Some of the pedals I have will get used for one song a night on a 40 song play list and I have them to get the sound the original artist acheived but the Keeley compressor can be used everywhere. I think the only place I never use it is for Blues stuff, I reaelly dont use anything but the amp fot that.

I've been an on again / off again compressor user. Right now I'm "on again". I've used my Wampler Ego compressor in a couple of different roles. Initially I used it as a limiter to keep the stage volume under control. Lately I've been using it in the classic form as a sustainer/squisher! on the more traditional country tunes. :biggrin_mini: And I agree with the "sometimes it sounds fantastic" take. Guess it's the venue, the other instruments, whatever. But sometimes I really like it, other nights I won't even touch it. Certainly don't use it as much as the delay, 'verb or ODs.

+1 on that.. Right now my "Squisher" is out, but six moths ago it was on my pedalboard..So who knows?

+1 on that.. Right now my "Squisher" is out, but six moths ago it was on my pedalboard..So who knows?

If you got rid of those moths on your pedalboard, you have room for another pedal :)

I'm not the biggest compressor fan as I don't care for the squished dynamics and attack. That said, compressors with a blend knob can help to alleviate the squish by allowing you to blend in a bit on the non-compressed tone. My favorite is the barber Tone Press - sounds great, has the blend knob, and is cheap to boot! I preferred it to the Keeley as when fully wet it has a more natural decay.

Barber-Tone-Press.jpg

I'm not the biggest compressor fan as I don't care for the squished dynamics and attack. That said, compressors with a blend knob can help to alleviate the squish by allowing you to blend in a bit on the non-compressed tone. My favorite is the barber Tone Press - sounds great, has the blend knob, and is cheap to boot! I preferred it to the Keeley as when fully wet it has a more natural decay.

Barber-Tone-Press.jpg

+1 on the Tone Press, when I use a pedal which is not too often it is one of my favs. Actually give me a little reverb and I am happy.

Guest HRB853370

Lately I've been getting back into playing more melody lines along with some of my favorite artists (Benson, Ritenour, Carlton, Paul Jackson Jr., Luther Vandross, etc.) and find using a compressor helps...sometimes.

Faster lines seem to NOT like being compressed as much as slower, more deliberate notes. Sustain is accentuated if the compressor is set for it, but the notes seem to squish more than I like. Paul Jackson Jr. seems to always get the best out of his compressed tones in my view. With his monster chops, it's no wonder! I guess I need to tweak my Super Dyna Comp MXR a bit more. Sometimes it sounds fantastic and other times not so much. I've used the pedal on a few live gigs, but tend to turn it off after a while. Maybe I'm old school (or just OLD!) and like the guitar straight into the amp tone best.

What are your experiences with compressors and which ones do you like or recommend?

Do you use it for live performances, recording or bedroom playing?

Man, this place always turns me on to new artists (or old ones I never heard of). I guess being a drummer turned guitarist means I have lots of ketching up to do. Never heard of Paul Jackson but will check him out.

To answer your Q Git, I use a Boss compression/sustainer stompbox. I learned about the virtues of compression from playing bass and having a bass rig with built in compression. I was really after the sustain more than anything when it comes to guitar. I still have not learned to use mine to perfection yet. But it is part of my BCB-60 board. I do not always have it on, but when I am playing legato, I find it works best. Just like you do.

I have a Demeter Compulator on my board. I've used it in two ways. First, to reduce feedback when I've had to play an acoustic at stage volume, and, second, as a sustainer for lead tone. At the moment, there are no acoustic tunes on our regular set list (even on the those relatively rare occasions we go out and play), and, on the R&B and R&R stuff we mostly do, the lead tone I'm usually after is more about attack than sustain, so the Compulator doesn't get a lot of use, although every once in a while it gives a nice alternative tone. I'd never heard of the Tone Press/idea of a blendable compressor. That seems like a really workable approach. Like others here, I've never felt that I've really figured out how to best use a compressor in a live situation ... need to take the time to dig around and get some ideas, and to find the time to experiment. That said, I seem to be headed mostly in the opposite direction --thicker pick, harder attack, less legato hammer/pull off --not on a path toward squish lately.

I use an "RC Booster" for clean boost, but no compressors. I don't like the compressed squash. I would like a limiter for my archtops though, that low E feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at least you called it a "pedalboard" !!! ......... :icon_thumright:

See you can teach an old dog new tricks!!

Back in metal days, I compressed and gated like mad.

These days, though, it is just whatever the guitar and amp do together. For a recording, I would compress some. For around the house playing, I won't. I MIGHT for live playing but I'd rather not.

The only reason I'd compress some in a live recording is to make not just me but the whole recording more present and well above the noise floor.

Archived