Heritage Owners Club

Lets talk Fuzz Boxes

Hi folks,

been realizing that I may soon need a fuzz box. Heard this on You Tube and like the sound of it. Am seriously considering getting a Freekish Blues Octave Fuzz:

DK_pedal_web_flat2.jpg

Now, I see that there are different fuzz boxes for different decades. Can't you just use the same one and dial in your tone? Dweezil had one commissioned to cover his daddy's tunes; there seems to be one fuzz for early '60s, and one for late '60s. Do you guys concern yourselves with this, or just buy one and 'fogetaboutit'. Oh, and, I wonder if I can get grunge sounds out of it - it seems to produce heavy enough sounds.

get an original dallas arbiter fuzz face

800px-FuzzFace_Effect_Pedal.jpg

if you can afford it?

The MXR bc108 fuzz is a very close likeness to the fuzz face, The same circuit but has some sort if insulater or isolater (don't really know what to call it) that lets it play nice with wah pedals. There are a ton of boutique pedals out there but honestly for the money I think the MXR 108 fuzz is a no lose pedal. If I needed a fuzz That is the fuzz I would buy and I have done quite a bit of research. There are a lot of really cool fuzzes like some of the Devi Ever boxes, Zvex fuzz factory but considering tone, function and cost and excluding gimmicks, I would go with the MXR.

I have a fuzz face (60's era) and it does work very well with my wha (also 60's era). My delay was an eco-plex which I still have but I'm not sure it works anymore. My favorite for a long time (all through the 80's) was a ProCo Rat. I would recommend that. I don't use anything anymore, just go directly into the amp. Mt brother uses a Blues Octave Fuzz and swears by it. I guess, what ever floats your boat or kayak. :icon_biggrin:

Hi folks,

been realizing that I may soon need a fuzz box. Heard this on You Tube and like the sound of it. Am seriously considering getting a Freekish Blues Octave Fuzz:

DK_pedal_web_flat2.jpg

Now, I see that there are different fuzz boxes for different decades. Can't you just use the same one and dial in your tone? Dweezil had one commissioned to cover his daddy's tunes; there seems to be one fuzz for early '60s, and one for late '60s. Do you guys concern yourselves with this, or just buy one and 'fogetaboutit'. Oh, and, I wonder if I can get grunge sounds out of it - it seems to produce heavy enough sounds.

As I understand it, the big shift in fuzz sound at the very end of the 60's was from germanium diodes to silicon as the key component in circuits: basic belief is that germanium is fatter, warmer, but silicon responds faster and has more focus.

Most effects that I've used I've done a little research about what was available, made a choice, and then learned how to play the effect. I've rarely had to replace an effect cause I couldn't find the sound that I wanted --EXCEPT when it comes to fuzz boxes. I started with a Prescription Electronics Experience, when that was one of the first "boutique" fuzzes, then I got on a long waiting list and got a Lovetone "Big Cheese" (which I think is still my favorite), then I broke a pot shaft on the Big Cheese and bought a Fulltone '70 (silicon-based, since my big complaint about fuzzes has always been that they get lost in the mix and the '70 was supposed to be more focused), then, lastly, I bought a Demeter Fuzzulator, which allows you to switch from a more focused Silicon found to a looser Germanium sound. The Demeter is currently on my board (even though Ron fixed the Big Cheese), but I'm not particularly inspired by it, or really by any of the fuzz pedals --just a sound I sometimes have to cover. I think the fuzz sound I hear in my head is exactly the sort of sound that is going to disappear in a live band mix, so, whatever I use is either too spitty and top-endy, or it disappears.

Hi folks,

DK_pedal_web_flat2.jpg

One of the things to keep in mind with a fuzz effect is that most of the people that we associate with using fuzz successfully were in small bands, trios and four piece bands, ie Jimi, Steppenwolf. I think that fuzz by nature is going to get lost with a large group. At least to me, what I think of as a true fuzz is kind of a loose sounding effect. Basically the first fuzzes were cut or blown speakers, so un focused by nature. I hope that whatever you end up with works for you, but if you expect to stand out on top of the mix you may have to do a lot of hunting and experimenting. Good luck, I still stand by the MXR 108 just a good true fuzz and no gimmicks. Someone mentioned the Pro Co Rat, another great pedal but more of a distortion in my opinion than fuzz.

One of the things to keep in mind with a fuzz effect is that most of the people that we associate with using fuzz successfully were in small bands, trios and four piece bands, ie Jimi, Steppenwolf. I think that fuzz by nature is going to get lost with a large group. At least to me, what I think of as a true fuzz is kind of a loose sounding effect.

I think this is exactly right ...and, exactly why I've had so much trouble finding a fuzz that works well playing in a band with two guitars, one and sometimes two keyboards, horns. In a small band, or in a studio context, where you can control the level and separation of each instrument, fuzz can work, but in my live playing situation, to make a fuzz-ed out guitar line cut through the roar is difficult(unless everyone else is willing to back way down.)

Personally, I've never like fuzz boxes. Guess that's because most of what they create is ....... fuzz! Not a sound I particularly enjoy. My amp tech is now into building fuzz boxes. He even brought my old Maestro back to life. And yep ..... it still sounds like sh*t, in both modes. His own fuzz designs look pretty cool ... but they sound like fuzz boxes. Give me a good OD over one of these any day.

Not a fuzz user. I dont get them. I have a couple but I dont use them. Cant figure them out.

But when I hear someone use one right or well I think they sound pretty cool.

I have a TRex mudhoney that I think is as much fuzz as I will ever want. But I tend to use it more as a TS type pedal if I use it.

Personally, I've never like fuzz boxes. Guess that's because most of what they create is ....... fuzz! Not a sound I particularly enjoy. My amp tech is now into building fuzz boxes. He even brought my old Maestro back to life. And yep ..... it still sounds like sh*t, in both modes. His own fuzz designs look pretty cool ... but they sound like fuzz boxes. Give me a good OD over one of these any day.

Not a fuzz user. I dont get them. I have a couple but I dont use them. Cant figure them out.

But when I hear someone use one right or well I think they sound pretty cool.

I have a TRex mudhoney that I think is as much fuzz as I will ever want. But I tend to use it more as a TS type pedal if I use it.

Yeah I agree with you guys, I tend to like fuzzes when I hear other people use them, but I can't seem to use them effectively. I really like those fuzz songs from the 60's and 70's, that's when guys were experimenting and finding/enventing new things constantly. We all owe a lot to them.

A couple of my favorite fuzz songs are Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit, and Janis Joplin's Little Piece of my Heart, that is how I think fuzz should be used.

Hi folks,

DK_pedal_web_flat2.jpg

Hey not trying to rain on your parade, hope you find something you like. I checked out a couple demos with that pedal it is very cool!

Why would you be raining on my parade, you're saying it's a cool sounding pedal.

However, I just made an offer on a now extinct dano cool cat fuzz. I don't think I'll be using the pedal a lot - but only occasionally. i think dano pedals are good for that, b/c they're so cheap, and often they sound good (chorus). and here's the kick, something I read said that the cool cat fuzz is true bypass!! it's biggest con is that the controls are located in the back and hard to reach. supposedly, Dano improved on the cheap plastic casing, I guess they're now metal, with a sturdier switch. The Freekish Blues Octa Fuzz is a really cool pedal, but $168 vs. $20 - there's a big difference in that.

I also really liked the vid of gearmanndude demonstrating the dallas arbiter fuzz face. If I was covering a lot of Jimi, I'd get that. We'll see.

However, I just made an offer on a now extinct dano cool cat fuzz. ....... it's biggest con is that the controls are located in the back and hard to reach.

I use a Dano Delay and the controls ARE hard to reach. Biggest drawback of the pedal for me. Actually, only drawback :icon_sunny:

Hi folks,

DK_pedal_web_flat2.jpg

That's Davy Knowles signature pedal, he's one of my favorite current rock/blues players...

My offer was rejected, but just made another offer on the bay. I'll know in one day and one hour whether it'll be accepted or not. fingers crossed.

I'm waiting to find a used one, but I want the Visual Sound Angry Fuzz!

good luck buddy. I think used equipt. is the way to go.

+10000000000.. I even use 2 overdrives at the same time..but I'm evil..

Why would you be raining on my parade, you're saying it's a cool sounding pedal.

However, I just made an offer on a now extinct dano cool cat fuzz. I don't think I'll be using the pedal a lot - but only occasionally. i think dano pedals are good for that, b/c they're so cheap, and often they sound good (chorus). and here's the kick, something I read said that the cool cat fuzz is true bypass!! it's biggest con is that the controls are located in the back and hard to reach. supposedly, Dano improved on the cheap plastic casing, I guess they're now metal, with a sturdier switch. The Freekish Blues Octa Fuzz is a really cool pedal, but $168 vs. $20 - there's a big difference in that.

I also really liked the vid of gearmanndude demonstrating the dallas arbiter fuzz face. If I was covering a lot of Jimi, I'd get that. We'll see.

I actually think that's a great idea, you can experiment with it and see if you can find your place in the mix with it, if it works for you and you like the fuzztone you could always upgrade later, if it doesn't work at least your not out 2 bills. My only real gripe with dano pedals is the quality, the ones I have used sounded good and did their job just didn't hold up. Most are copied circuits of really good effects just cheaper components.

Keep us updated!

I actually think that's a great idea, you can experiment with it and see if you can find your place in the mix with it, if it works for you and you like the fuzztone you could always upgrade later, if it doesn't work at least your not out 2 bills. My only real gripe with dano pedals is the quality, the ones I have used sounded good and did their job just didn't hold up. Most are copied circuits of really good effects just cheaper components.

Keep us updated!

I'm just waiting for the time when the pedalboard has been locked in the trailer over a hot weekend and I open it up to find the Dano delay's plastic enclosure has melted. :biggrin_mini:

I'm just waiting for the time when the pedalboard has been locked in the trailer over a hot weekend and I open it up to find the Dano delay's plastic enclosure has melted. :biggrin_mini:

: ) Ha!

I have a DD7 that I'll trade you for a cry baby wah (if u have one) if you'd like.

Update, not getting the Dano - went on line and just didn't like the tone. I think I'm going to hold off on getting a fuzz for a little while.

Archived