Heritage Owners Club

choo choo... it's a Trainwreck!

My brother was playing the headline gig at the Dayton Blues Festival and this fellow was sitting in with them... he was a monster player with unbelievable tone. He told me he's had the Trainwreck for about two years. He hails from Jersey. That was all the info I could get, but believe me, for every moment he was playing he had everyone's attention.

post-2556-0-54749800-1311821617_thumb.jpg

post-2556-0-60271200-1311821624_thumb.jpg

post-2556-0-17936300-1311821634_thumb.jpg

The lad has shored up two substantial amps. Looks like life is good in that meadow.

Wrecks and Dumble clones...two of the all time fave amp platforms of the most serious members of The Amp Garage...there's a reason...huh? Good on ya, Jack. Huge post packed into just a few words...Nice..

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!

Thanks for sharing Jack, TW's are incredible amps!

Wrecks and Dumble clones...two of the all time fave amp platforms of the most serious members of The Amp Garage...there's a reason...huh? Good on ya, Jack. Huge post packed into just a few words...Nice..

That's why the Amp Garage is my second home :icon_thumleft:

Guest HRB853370

My brother was playing the headline gig at the Dayton Blues Festival and this fellow was sitting in with them... he was a monster player with unbelievable tone. He told me he's had the Trainwreck for about two years. He hails from Jersey. That was all the info I could get, but believe me, for every moment he was playing he had everyone's attention.

Don't care for the fancy wood cabinet-would get banged up too fast.

Did you turn that guitar player on to Heritage?

Man, can he sling that LP any lower?

I've been fortunate enough to try a KBP810 TR amp recently. I like that amp over is D-style amp.

I prefer the TW as well, when playing at "bedroom" volume levels... but when the D-Style is cranked loud and proud there's no denying that it's one badda$$ ampifier!

have had the pleasure of playing a TW Rocket thru a vintage Marshall cab ('68, consecutively numbered greenbacks). truly exceptional. haven't tried of of the new reissues by "JM", but am pretty sure they'd be pretty special, too

say, the logo above the input, other control lettering might indicate this is one of the new authorized reissues, Express model...see Glen Kuykendall's stuff (http://www.glenkuykendall.com/amps.html) on his site & Youtube for lotsa great sounds, using '89 TW + vintage LP and strat and cetera

Whats the amp with the 5 on it? not familiar with that one..

What the heck is a TW and what the heck is a Dstyle?

TW is Train Wreck and D-Style is D*mble... I usually say TW out typing laziness, lol... but I usually say D-Style as I fear the wrath of Mr. D*mble!

OK, so, I don't know, so I'll ask. I have an idea of what a Dumble sounds like --Carlton, Santana, Ford, and I own a Fuchs ODS mod., so I even have some sense of how the design works. I've read about Ken Fisher's genius and the Trainwreck amps for a while, and I recognize the look, but I don't associate a particular tone or set of characteristics with the design. So, who should I listen to? What design factors should I keep in mind while listening? Thanks.

OK, so, I don't know, so I'll ask. I have an idea of what a Dumble sounds like --Carlton, Santana, Ford, and I own a Fuchs ODS mod., so I even have some sense of how the design works. I've read about Ken Fisher's genius and the Trainwreck amps for a while, and I recognize the look, but I don't associate a particular tone or set of characteristics with the design. So, who should I listen to? What design factors should I keep in mind while listening? Thanks.

...sorry if this seemed dismissive of Trainwrecks ... I really did not mean it that way (and sorry that I misspelled Fischer's name), amd certainly didn't mean to kill the discussion. I've just honestly not heard one, or even an amp that I knew was suppose to be in the tradition, so I'd like some help from our resident amp experts about what "the Trainwreck sound" means. Did some digging, and found some info (read the literature Fischer included with his amps)-- simple design (no verb or master volume or effects loop), emphasis on headroom and on (quick --no sag) touch response, no slavery to vintage techniques if they didn't yield positive results --bit still interested to build some depth of understanding about these amps and their influence. Thanks.

I watched and listened to Mark Knofler play through a couple of Komet "Wreck" style amps in Salt Lake a few years ago. His tone was detailed, articulate, and had lots of harmonic content. 3/4 of his solos started at whisper quiet volumes and built up from there, I learned a lot about stage playing dynamics from watching his fellow band members, they were all really listening to him, he needed to do no visual cues at all. That is a huge contrast from the way most bands play, as a droning steady loud volume requiring a major step up from the soloist to be heard above the monotonous, steady din... Mark's band's style of playing sucked the listener in again and again, and rewarded those keenly tuned in ears with tasty chops building to monster climaxes, over and over again, never boring. Impressive to say the least. That was one of the best musician stagecraft lessons I ever experienced as an audience member.

TW's go from very detailed, gorgeous cleans to "take no prisoners" means with just a turn of the guitar volume knob. Very touch sensitive to pick attack, very tight overall, typically but not always little to no sag in their sound. Wrecks use a very short signal path, have a minimum of wiring inside the chassis. Ken Fischer worked on reducing the total length of wires connecting parts one to another, fussed incessantly over exactly where and how those wires were placed, (known as lead dress) and used top quality parts. Every amp he built had a name. So if an owner mentioned that amp's name he knew exactly which amp it was. Some named amp designs became the source for clones bearing that circuit's name from other builders. There is an entire online community, actually more than one, dedicated to TW's.

May Ken rest in peace.

I watched and listened to Mark Knofler play through a couple of Komet "Wreck" style amps in Salt Lake a few years ago. His tone was detailed, articulate, and had lots of harmonic content. 3/4 of his solos started at whisper quiet volumes and built up from there, I learned a lot about stage playing dynamics from watching his fellow band members, they were all really listening to him, he needed to do no visual cues at all. That is a huge contrast from the way most bands play, as a droning steady loud volume requiring a major step up from the soloist to be heard above the monotonous, steady din... Mark's band's style of playing sucked the listener in again and again, and rewarded those keenly tuned in ears with tasty chops building to monster climaxes, over and over again, never boring. Impressive to say the least. That was one of the best musician stagecraft lessons I ever experienced as an audience member.

TW's go from very detailed, gorgeous cleans to "take no prisoners" means with just a turn of the guitar volume knob. Very touch sensitive to pick attack, very tight overall, typically but not always little to no sag in their sound. Wrecks use a very short signal path, have a minimum of wiring inside the chassis. Ken Fischer worked on reducing the total length of wires connecting parts one to another, fussed incessantly over exactly where and how those wires were placed, (known as lead dress) and used top quality parts. Every amp he built had a name. So if an owner mentioned that amp's name he knew exactly which amp it was. Some named amp designs became the source for clones bearing that circuit's name from other builders. There is an entire online community, actually more than one, dedicated to TW's.

May Ken rest in peace.

Thanks ...that puts a sound and style to the idea.

Ken, I've read had a knack for voicing an amp. He knew how to get the best out of an amp.

Whilst I'd enjoy owning one, I don't intend to mortgage the house in order to get one.

RIP

Archived