Heritage Owners Club

Software

gpuma

I am looking to buy one of these software like Guitar Pro but I am fairly new to the field.

Anyone has any recommendation concerning both the software and the sound interface.

Just to put the discussion in the proper context, I am not a professional, I am not even a good player for that matter. I believe that these softwares however are a good way to learn new material.

I have access to both PC and Mac platform (mac laptop and decent PC desktop)

Can't comment on Guitar Pro, but for those of you that have said "Recording software is the bain of my existance," if you're interested, I know a ton about recording software. FWIW, I can answer questions about that.

gpuma - hope you find what you're looking for in tab software. Good luck with that!

I think Im nearly ready to start using my computer for recording and editing. I think Im at the point where my Korg D1200 stand alone recorder, while still a useful device, really is becoming more and more out dated and limited in its functions compared to some of the software programs out there.

What does everyone here use?

How do I figure out if my lap top has enough power to run one of these programs?

I think at the end of the day it all boils down on what you really need to do. I am messing around with Garage Band on my mMac and I think I would like to step it up a notch, but still, I would just be messing around at a higher level.

I guess that if you are making a living out of music, it is a totally different set of issues

Guest HRB853370

That's why I like working through a unit like my Yamaha AW1600.

I've never used a tab system like Guitar Pro.

Or a Tascam 2488 NEO

I think Im nearly ready to start using my computer for recording and editing. I think Im at the point where my Korg D1200 stand alone recorder, while still a useful device, really is becoming more and more out dated and limited in its functions compared to some of the software programs out there.

What does everyone here use?

How do I figure out if my lap top has enough power to run one of these programs?

Tascam 2488 NEO. For $500 you can fuggetabout software and interface and own a truly professional and powerful 24 track recording rig with 160gb hard drive and a built in cd burner.

I own Audacity and Cubase on my PC, Garage Band and Logic Express on my MacPro, and I have yet to use any of them succesfully. I have tried many times and been frustrated every time. There is always one or more problems so I work on it for a couple of hours until I'm totally worn out, and I quit.

Or a Tascam 2488 NEO

Tascam 2488 NEO. For $500 you can fuggetabout software and interface and own a truly professional and powerful 24 track recording rig with 160gb hard drive and a built in cd burner.

I have no direct experience with the Tascam unit, but I've heard good things about it...

Tried the software route 12-13 years ago, I hated every minute of it. It was not what I would call user friendly. That's when I got my first 16 track, it was a dream come true, ease of use and portability-two things computer based software did not offer back then. Then a few months ago I saw the Tascam 2488 Neo for $500 and it was a deal I couldn't pass up, especially since I paid more then five times that for the Akai 16 track more then a decade ago. It suits me very well since I'm not doing anything on a pro-level and actually it is loaded with more features then I'll probably use.

My software of choice has been Samplitude by Magix (was SEK'D when I first bought it). Very feature rich and designed for professional DAW recording. Not cheap but sure gets the job done. Magix offers several lower priced recording software, now. Most of which are based on the Samplitude engine. It also records at Red Book specs if you want to get a CD duplicated.

Alot can be done with GarageBand. The guitar center by my house offers Digital Recording lesson every saturday at 10:00am and the platform of choice is GarageBand.

You might want to try the trial version of GuitarPro. I hear it is great for tabs and there are a lot of transcriptions done on that platform. It is a different tool but as I recall, inexpensive (under $100, even less on sale)

I'll be aquiring GuitarPro soon as I believe the HOC's own Vince Lewis provides some of his transcriptions in GuitarPro . That is a goal of mine in 2012 (learn a few of Vince Lewis's transcriptions)... Saw him at HOC, got one of his CDs, and continue to checkout his YOUTUBE transcriptions. Great stuff.

Guest HRB853370

Tried the software route 12-13 years ago, I hated every minute of it. It was not what I would call user friendly. That's when I got my first 16 track, it was a dream come true, ease of use and portability-two things computer based software did not offer back then. Then a few months ago I saw the Tascam 2488 Neo for $500 and it was a deal I couldn't pass up, especially since I paid more then five times that for the Akai 16 track more then a decade ago. It suits me very well since I'm not doing anything on a pro-level and actually it is loaded with more features then I'll probably use.

Right on, thats what I paid too. Great deal

if you have a mac, garageband is real easy to multitrack record in. just get a USB interface of some sort

these are great, I have the octa version but you could get by with the quad

http://www.roland.com/products/en/QUAD-CAPTURE/

otherwise I've heard audacity is good for PC

if you want to generate drum loops & synth FX etc you might need more complex software but for multitrack you don't really need much else

Actually I have another question that is related to this one:

many little multi-effect like the Zoom ZG21NU also provide an USB interface. This seems an incredible value.

any feedback?

Archived