Heritage Owners Club

kool vox amp info

eljay

since buying my ric 12-str, i've gotten more than a little interested in vox amps and the whys of their unique tone.

i found this most-informative writeup last night and thought i'd share:

http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/wp/?page_id=287

sorry for the cold link; i don't know how to do a hot link on ipad.

ignorance is no excuse, eljay

Multiply the enjoyment of your collection by adding something Voxish. Great match with P90's too!

Basic amp group would be Fender Blackface, Marshall, Vox and Tweeds, early Gibsons and Ampegs for classic rock, blues and jazz.

Looks like you got Lil dawg for tweed and blackface... don't know if the Carvin, quilter and chuckster are EL84 types but Vox was designed for the guitar as opposed to the RCA basic circuits from the 1930's. They have their own sound.

I recommend something with two channels so you can mix EF86 and 12AX7 preamps with a EL84 power stage.

Steve Rowse (of Steve's Amps) is the guy who is fixing up my 5E3! He's one of the top tube amp guys in the UK.

I was at his place last weekend, it's a treasure trove of tube technology :D He's a very nice guy who takes the time to run through the circuit with you and has a great ear for noise, good and bad, coming from the amp. I'm looking forward to getting my amp back!

Apologies for the slight, but roughly on-topic, hijack!

Love my AC30CC1. Rock solid amp, Vox tone to the max. Even my AC15CC1 nailed that tone with some tweaking. And I run my Mesa TA15 on the "Vox" side. Gets danged close. Loves me the Voxs.

Excellent dig ElJay! I always wondered why that box sounds so different, It's fun to read the analysis of others for I always seem to pick up a new tid-bit along the way.

I LOVE the sound of Vox AC30s. I miss the sound of my AC50CP2 (different beast I know but it had that Vox tone for sure) but I don't miss it acting up. It was never anything huge. Just little crap. Then I read about the big crap so I sold it before it had time to act up big time for me.

I torture myself and play through an AC30 Custom combo once in awhile at stores. There is always something that brings me back down to earth though. There is ALWAYS something wrong with them. I will plug one up and that WONDERFUL clean tone is there. That tone is to die for. The amp must feel the same way because that starts happening on the sales floor. I turn it up and it craps out. I go from one channel to the next and no sound. ...or the trem does work. I have yet to play one in a store that was fully fuctional. ..and I HATE that. I so love that Vox tone...but I just don't know if I'd want to shell out a grand for an amp that has solid chance of not working tomorrow. I know people say they have had no problem with them... but I have yet to not have a problem with them.

i expect to get the vox sound without the reliability problems by buying from our own kbp810.

i expect to get the vox sound without the reliability problems by buying from our own kbp810.

Don't be surprised if the 530 works even better into the EF86 - El84 channels with an Alnico Blue than the Ric's.

I LOVE the sound of Vox AC30s. I miss the sound of my AC50CP2 (different beast I know but it had that Vox tone for sure) but I don't miss it acting up. It was never anything huge. Just little crap. Then I read about the big crap so I sold it before it had time to act up big time for me.

I torture myself and play through an AC30 Custom combo once in awhile at stores. There is always something that brings me back down to earth though. There is ALWAYS something wrong with them. I will plug one up and that WONDERFUL clean tone is there. That tone is to die for. The amp must feel the same way because that starts happening on the sales floor. I turn it up and it craps out. I go from one channel to the next and no sound. ...or the trem does work. I have yet to play one in a store that was fully fuctional. ..and I HATE that. I so love that Vox tone...but I just don't know if I'd want to shell out a grand for an amp that has solid chance of not working tomorrow. I know people say they have had no problem with them... but I have yet to not have a problem with them.

Barry

I love the vox sound too, and one day, at GC, I plugged in a mexi tel into that vox and the tone blew me away - it was a AC15CC1. But like you've found, this amp had problems - I think it couldn't switch from one channel to the other. I don't know if it was because it was a floor model and abused or what the deal is. The other problem with vox is their weight, however, once I get my dolly, if I ever decided to buy one, that would no longer be a problem.

since buying my ric 12-str, i've gotten more than a little interested in vox amps and the whys of their unique tone.

i found this most-informative writeup last night and thought i'd share:

http://www.stevesamp...wp/?page_id=287

sorry for the cold link; i don't know how to do a hot link on ipad.

ignorance is no excuse, eljay

Good Read!! Thanx Eljay!!

Archived