Heritage Owners Club

Little Practice Amp

gpuma

What would you guys suggest as a practice amp in the 100-200 bucks range?

I have been looking at:

Vox AC4TV,

Fender Champion 600

Bugera V5

Bugera BC15

Fender Mustang I.

I actually tried only the first two of the list, I liked both, but the Vox seemed a little better, IMHO.

Is there anything else you would recommend to try or to stay away from?

Important piece of info: since I will have to carry it on the 'L' along with my Little One, weight is definitely an important factor.

I just sold my Vox AC4TV (with the 10inch speaker) combo. I loved it, but just never played it since I picked up a really unique custom amp. If you do go with the amp, try to get one of the older ones with the 10inch speaker (modern combos don't come that big). That amp sounds way, way, way better with bigger speakers to push some air. ultimately a head+cab (with 2x12s) would be best, but I'm guessing not really an option for you on the metro/sub/tube/L.

at least try the Bugera V5. I really like it. You will need a pedal to get real dirt but it takes pedals well and the volume and tone are great for practice. It has 3 power settings so you can play really low and still give the tubes a work out. Full power won't get above a drummer unless you mic it.

Fender Champ 600 is only good for quiet practice, and clean sounds. the minute you over drive it, it has this annoying buzzing sound, because of the small speaker. you could probably hook it up to a larger speaker - but I think its difficult to do that.

I tried Fernando's Vox AC4 out at PSPIV, it was a great little amp...well, it sounded great with him playing thru it anyway :D

Thanks Chris. It really was the amp, though. I like the Vox AC4TV a lot, looks and sounds cool.

+1, but it doesn't meet the cost criteria. The Vox is a good buy gpuma. talk to Ed at the school store, you can get a discount, and they were carrying the Vox.

I own a Lanilei, same size as above but ranges from 1-33-50 watts output. Clean and dirty. small. Carry it on the el all the time. I missed that you picked up the little one. Would love to get my hands on that. Sounds like we need to cross paths at the school sometime soon.

i had a Songworks for a long time & liked it a lot...great customer support, too, by a one-man shop + made in USA...

'nother i've had i could recommend is Roland Cube 30, or whatever latest iteration is...

i had a Songworks for a long time & liked it a lot...great customer support, too, by a one-man shop + made in USA...

'nother i've had i could recommend is Roland Cube 30, or whatever latest iteration is...

Cube 30/40 is an awesome amp and an awesome value, but I can tell you it's too damn big to lug on the "L" (Chicago's Elevated commuter trains, which also run underground. go figure.)

The Micro Cube is a great little amp as well.

+1, but it doesn't meet the cost criteria. The Vox is a good buy gpuma. talk to Ed at the school store, you can get a discount, and they were carrying the Vox.

I own a Lanilei, same size as above but ranges from 1-33-50 watts output. Clean and dirty. small. Carry it on the el all the time. I missed that you picked up the little one. Would love to get my hands on that. Sounds like we need to cross paths at the school sometime soon.

Thank you! I'll be glad to meet you at school (that's where I tried the vox and the champ 600) . At the moment you would be able to get your hands only on one of my resonators, as I am taking only acoustic slide classes.

Archived