Heritage Owners Club

HD500 with Egnater Tweaker report

Bonefish

I recently made the painful decision to replace my pedal board with the Line 6 HD500. It's been a few weeks and I'm starting to feel comfortable with the HD500.

My initial approach was to try and make the "4CM method". If you care for the details, this is achieved by running the cable from the guitar to guitar in on the HD 500; the cable from the effects loop send of the HD500 into the amps guitar input; the cable from the Amps effects loop send into the loop return of the HD500; and finally the cable from the output of the HD500 to the power amp return on the amp. This was mildly confusing at first, but after a little bit of thought made a lot of sense.

While the 4CM approach seemed to make sense as it allows me to use the 12AX7 pre-amp tubes along with the tone controls and switches, the amount of tweaking required to add an effects loop to each patch and then configure the levels so that all volumes worked out as desired was a bit overwhelming (especially with the drive control which also impacts the level). To help simplify my life I have decided to go with a simgle cable approach and am going directly into the effects loop return of my amp.

I found that most of the presets are throwaways (fun to play with but no practical application). However, there are a few that were very usable after just a bit of tweaking. I also found it very easy to recreate my old pedal board which was nice. There are 4 pedals for turning on and off your selected pedals and 4 pedals for selecting patch (all 8 can be used for pedals if desired). This makes the board very usable in live situations. Patches can be configured on the computer which is also quite nice. You can even download your pedal board to a file on your computer and completely set up your board offline.

I have been pleased with the tone, but not blown away (well, there are a few that have blown me away). To dial things in you really have to be willing to work with it. The levels are also time consuming to set. I've been very dependent on a DB meter to get levels in the right ballpark (the selected amp, the amps drive setting, the pedals in use, and a host of other items all effect the outputed level).

All in all I am glad I made the move on account of the flexibility, portability and cost savings it provides. I really with the DT25 wasn't so overpriced as the HD500 and DT25 would make a great pair. However, until I find A DT25 for a reasonable cost, I'm very happy with the direction I chose. I do miss my board and if I could have both, I definitely would. But given that I had to make a choice I'm glad this is the way I went.

Your mentioning the DT25 made me look it up . It does some interesting things , especially with the HD pod hooked up to it.

And I can see why you wouldn't want to use the preamp section of a Tweaker with the HD.. with all of the options already in the Tweaker , it would be too much to control.

I'm still having fun with playing with the Tweaker options by itself, really. ( I don't really use many effects )

But the HD pod is interesting and the DT25 also.. Thanks for the review.

yeah, thanks for the review! I JUST orderd an HD400, and I'll be running it into my amp, like you. I'll be interested to find out just what the best 'set up' is for it with my rig.

How do you like the drive pedal emulations running through your amp?

BTW: the tweaker is such a cool amp...at least it looks that way. I almost bought one before I had my KBP made. I still may get one in the future. They look and seem to sound amazing!

Guest HRB853370

I recently made the painful decision to replace my pedal board with the Line 6 HD500. It's been a few weeks and I'm starting to feel comfortable with the HD500.

My initial approach was to try and make the "4CM method". If you care for the details, this is achieved by running the cable from the guitar to guitar in on the HD 500; the cable from the effects loop send of the HD500 into the amps guitar input; the cable from the Amps effects loop send into the loop return of the HD500; and finally the cable from the output of the HD500 to the power amp return on the amp. This was mildly confusing at first, but after a little bit of thought made a lot of sense.

While the 4CM approach seemed to make sense as it allows me to use the 12AX7 pre-amp tubes along with the tone controls and switches, the amount of tweaking required to add an effects loop to each patch and then configure the levels so that all volumes worked out as desired was a bit overwhelming (especially with the drive control which also impacts the level). To help simplify my life I have decided to go with a simgle cable approach and am going directly into the effects loop return of my amp.

I found that most of the presets are throwaways (fun to play with but no practical application). However, there are a few that were very usable after just a bit of tweaking. I also found it very easy to recreate my old pedal board which was nice. There are 4 pedals for turning on and off your selected pedals and 4 pedals for selecting patch (all 8 can be used for pedals if desired). This makes the board very usable in live situations. Patches can be configured on the computer which is also quite nice. You can even download your pedal board to a file on your computer and completely set up your board offline.

I have been pleased with the tone, but not blown away (well, there are a few that have blown me away). To dial things in you really have to be willing to work with it. The levels are also time consuming to set. I've been very dependent on a DB meter to get levels in the right ballpark (the selected amp, the amps drive setting, the pedals in use, and a host of other items all effect the outputed level).

All in all I am glad I made the move on account of the flexibility, portability and cost savings it provides. I really with the DT25 wasn't so overpriced as the HD500 and DT25 would make a great pair. However, until I find A DT25 for a reasonable cost, I'm very happy with the direction I chose. I do miss my board and if I could have both, I definitely would. But given that I had to make a choice I'm glad this is the way I went.

Where did your board and the pedals wind up? Ebay?

Where did your board and the pedals wind up? Ebay?

@H has my delay pedal headed his way. Most of the other ones (including board and case) were picked up by a local musician named Will Entrekin who has decided its time to have a proper electric rig. He's just getting started, but I wouldn't be surprised if I hear him on the radio in a couple years.

yeah, thanks for the review! I JUST orderd an HD400, and I'll be running it into my amp, like you. I'll be interested to find out just what the best 'set up' is for it with my rig.

How do you like the drive pedal emulations running through your amp?

I'd be glad to help walk you through some of the initial phases of setting up your HD400. It can take some time to get your bearings with that POD HD series. I've spent a good bit of time with it at this point and may be able to help save a few hours of frustration.

I've been happy with the OD's and have barely scraped the surface of the breath of options (you can use amp, compressors and/or std OD pedals to get the specific drive you are looking for). However, I am not a tone snob and so your mileage may vary.

I'm glad it's working out for you, Bonefish. If you wouldn't mind sharing some of your knowledge as time permits, I for one would look forward to any tips and tricks you found useful on the HD500. I've got one, but I'm guessing you are quite a bit further along in your understanding than I am. I'm working my way through the advanced manual and have watched some of the Line 6 company's YouTube videos as well. Thanks!

I keep wanting to go back to the multi-effects route, but you're right. There is an overwhelming about of tweaking that just makes it easier to stick with pedals. I like those multi-effects, especially the ones that don't have amp/cab simulators running all the time. Most of the time those can be turned off, but Line 6 on some units, just has the unit as effects only...

I'm glad it's working out for you, Bonefish. If you wouldn't mind sharing some of your knowledge as time permits, I for one would look forward to any tips and tricks you found useful on the HD500. I've got one, but I'm guessing you are quite a bit further along in your understanding than I am. I'm working my way through the advanced manual and have watched some of the Line 6 company's YouTube videos as well. Thanks!

If you want to give me a call sometime I can PM you my phone number. Most of the tips and tricks are more related to how you are running the pedal (guitar input or straight to power amp, using as a multi-effects pedal only or using amps too, etc). Here are some generic items I've picked up along the way.

1). You can avoid assigning a pedal to the volume by assigning a pedal to the master volume on amp (which does not impact tone).

2). If you're running pedals only (and not using 4cm), put the mixer at the end and use it as your master volume.

3). Go through the presets and find a few that you like. Save those patches and then upload them to a new bank. Play with those patches and nail down some tones you like (some really funky tones can actually be useful if you drop some modulation or distortion).

4). If you want a great patch to start with, download the Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley) from Line6. I an try and find specific if you need it.

5). Periodically backup your entire board using software, only takes a second. You will screw-up or delete some patches you really like at some point.

6). If you have a smart phone, download a db meter and use it to set patch levels. It may help to also have a song on your stereo that you always play at a certain level and play along with to fine tune levels. Even if DB's are exactly the same the perceived loudness may be different.

7). Find some starting points and then save those to your computer. Future patches can bee built off of those (e.g. If you like an treble boost for leads, your default amp is the Dr. Z and you always use the analog delay for a slapback echo, then build that out and save it so you save your time on future endeavors).

8). If you're covering a song, save yourself sometime and hit up the line 6 database for some patches to get you started.

I hope something in there is helpful for you.

@DetroitBlues - As you can clearly see there's been a steep learning curve on the front end, but as I get more of a feel for it I think it's going to provide more simplicity as well as flexibility in the long-term.

Archived