Heritage Owners Club

New amp come and gone, another on the way

I had quite the trial when I bought a used Mesa Express 5:50 from GC. It arrived right before I went on vacation (of course), but only shipped with one power tube, it was missing the footswitch cable, and smelled like a ashtray. Badly.

I really wanted to like it, although the guy who sold it to me was either a d!ck or didn't know what we was talking about when he said it seemed like it was in great shape. So I tried to give it a chance. My local GC were superstars and felt badly, so they ordered me a new set of Mesa tubes. Those came in while I was on vacation, so once I came back I tried them out. Not bad, not great as I remember Mesa's youtube video. I about died when I first heard that video. (see blues tone at about 2:20 in vid below).

I called the Cali GC to talk to the guy who sold me the amp, and of course he wasn't there. I told whoever I talked to what happened, and that I still needed the footswitch amp. I told him a midi cable would not work. Low and behold, 5 days later, guess what showed up? A midi cable. Ug.

In the end I just couldn't bond with it. I did take some simple green to it, and that helped with the smoke smell a lot. The first week I had it, it stunk up my whole basement. So I took it back yesterday...and ordered a sweet Blues Jr with a Cannibis Rex speaker and a "Special Run" Wine/Cream color scheme from ProGuitarShop. Plus I got about 500 bones back in my pocket. No complaints here! That one sounds like this:

http://snd.sc/ocHomV

I don't think you'll have a problem with that Blues Jr. Its my main amp now. Despite it's small sature and low wattage (15), I only have to turn the master volume to 5 to cut through the drums and bass for my lead work. You'll be very happy with that amp!

Glad it worked out, I love my Blues Jr as well. I have some nice amps but the Blues Jr seems to get the most play time, sounds great at low volumes which is what I mostly do as I am a late night family room rocker.

I hear they are great with an ext cabinet.

Check out Bill M's site..everything you want to know about Blues Jrs. If you like to tinker he sells some cool kits, I've done most of the major ones. Some of he basic cheap kits add a lot. The Cannabis Rex is one of the most well regarded speaker for that amp. Want to try one one day in mine.

http://billmaudio.com/

Guest HRB853370

I don't think you'll have a problem with that Blues Jr. Its my main amp now. Despite it's small sature and low wattage (15), I only have to turn the master volume to 5 to cut through the drums and bass for my lead work. You'll be very happy with that amp!

Do you like the Blues Jr better than the Delta Blues you had?

Archived