Heritage Owners Club

KBP Amp tweak

Trouble

The KBP head Brian built is a monster of an amp, so much so that with the rig I use in front of it and the speakers I've paired with it it was a little difficult to get a clean sound out of it at volumes that would keep up with an acoustic drum set. With advice from Brian tried some different preamp tubes, ended up with a Sovtek 5751 for channel 1 and a Jan 12at7 for channel 2, I think it will still get just as loud, louder than I need it to be, and will get dirty as well, but there is a much more linear volume curve with these preamp tubes and it's easier to get a clean sound and still be loud enough for live settings, still responds well to pick attack and feels like its alive, which is what I've liked the most about it.

I should take a pic but I found a 1961 Cordovox Accordian amp cab that had been gutted, and I thought it looked cool so I bought it and put a 12" Jenson MOD and 12" Eminence Texas Heat in it and have been running it through that live

I love this amp, it's very simple very responsive and sounds great.

Success is a wonderful thing when you can hear it. Nice work.

Thanks but it was really Brian's know how that did it, I told him what I wanted and he told me how to get it bassically. He told me what tubes to try and I got a couple of each, spent some time playing with them and ended on that combo. If it wasn't for all the recent tube swapping post I probably never would have thought of it.

Love to see a pic of the cab you're using.

I'll try to get a picture, It's a little dinged up but hell it was made in 61. I just thought it looked cool. It's wedged shaped though so you can't set your head on top of it.

Love to see a pic of the cab you're using.

Here you go DB, not a great pic but you get the idea. The back is vented and hinged.

cabpic.jpg

Archived