Heritage Owners Club

Grab 'n' Go low watt amp

koula901

I'm going way next week to visit friends, and need a small amp for a jam session. It would ideally have a 12 or no smaller than a 10" speaker and have a few effects (crunch/high gain sounds, little delay/or reverb) built in. 5 watts would be enough power. What are your recommendations?

It has an 8" speaker - my fear is that it'd sound fizzy/buzzy when over driven - like the fender champ i have now . . that's why I thought a 10" speaker min. might be better than the champ - I think the champ has a 6" speaker. I can't tolerate a fizzy-buzzy sound.

It has an 8" speaker - my fear is that it'd sound fizzy/buzzy when over driven - like the fender champ i have now . . that's why I thought a 10" speaker min. might be better than the champ - I think the champ has a 6" speaker. I can't tolerate a fizzy-buzzy sound.

It was loud and we were playing a 535 and a 535 through it... It does sound rather good... The champ is underwhelmed for what it is, a old champ would work much better. But for the size, weight, and tone to go with your portability, the Mustang I is it. If you like a bigger driver (speaker), then get the Mustang II. Trust me, I love my tube amps, but I was really impressed with this little guy. I wouldn't buy a HT-5, however. A friend of mine who has one of those crapped out on him last week and seems to be a common issue with the amp. As much as I've wanted to give those a go around, that issue concerns me. Not to mention its very close to a superchamp XD. Its labeled a tube amp, but is choked full of digital processing for distortion and effects... Mustang I or II is by far the cheapest from $99 to $149 new, even better when they can be found for 1/2 the retail price used.

I just saw a Peavy Bandit 112 like Wills for only $99 at a GC around here. Such a big loud amp, might be worth it as a back up...

what size is the speaker?

I love my new Line 6 Spider IV amp. 15 watts from an 8" speaker never sounded so loud and clear. Has a few interesting effects, echo, flange, reverb, is light weight and $99.00 at Amazon.com.

Google it and check out the features. I usually use an 8 rack space rig direct to a PA for gigs with a monitor at my feet for gigs.

This is so much easier to carry

;-)

Archived