Heritage Owners Club

On a buying spree

Blunote

Well, a couple of weeks ago I bought a Guytron 2X12 closed back cab fitted with a Scumback m75 and a Retro 30. Gratuitous image duly inserted.

7743401260_83b315341b_z.jpg

After attending the "Art of the Groove" event in Sterling Heights, Michigan last week which featured Jon Herrington, of Steely Dan, Freddie Washington (bass), Jim Beard (Keyboards), and Shannon Forrest (drums) with Jon playing a Guytron GT100 FV, I got the gotta-haves for a Guytron head to match up with the cab.

Like KBP, these amps are built right here in Michigan, and have gained a great reputation and following. Jon Herrington tours with a setup like he was playing behind last Wednesday at the clinic I attended.

424208_10152010476940596_2010766655_n.jpg

So I bought one. It's a GT100 FV that will hopefully deliver, undamaged, next week.

Needless to say, I'm stoked.

Guytrons are known for great tones across a broad range of styles. The F/V has the circuitry in it to provide the versatility of having 16 different amps in one package I'm not talking about digital models. I mean the amp has built in switchable circuitry to provide voicing such as Blackface Twin, Silverface Twin, 60's Tweed, Marshall Plexi, Vox AC30, and others.

It uses a patented design where the internal 20 watt preamp output (composed of 12ax7 and EL84s) is reduced to line level and fed into the 100 watt power stage composed of EL34s. It also had master volume controls. So even though it's a 100 watt amp, the power can be scaled way down to get a really good cranked amp sound at apartment appropriate volumes. Or, it can cut through the mix in a large room. And because of the the unique design, outputs from it's clean channel can amplified up to 100 watts without breaking up.

Maybe I drank the kool-aid, but I really like the idea of being able to enjoy great tone inside my home, and also be able to make some noise in big open spaces like Steiner's place.

There's another purchase pending, and likely something coming up for sale.

Stay tuned.

post-1594-0-33142900-1345426075_thumb.jpg

Roll out the stage - it's Time! I've heard a lot of great reviews of the Guytron amps; I'm additionally a strong advocate of buying the amp of the guitarist that you enjoy. You have scored on two of the tallest factors in my book. Congratulations!

Guest HRB853370

Well, a couple of weeks ago I bought a Guytron 2X12 closed back cab fitted with a Scumback m75 and a Retro 30. Gratuitous image duly inserted.

7743401260_83b315341b_z.jpg

After attending the "Art of the Groove" event in Sterling Heights, Michigan last week which featured Jon Herrington, of Steely Dan, Freddie Washington (bass), Jim Beard (Keyboards), and Shannon Forrest (drums) with Jon playing a Guytron GT100 FV, I got the gotta-haves for a Guytron head to match up with the cab.

Like KBP, these amps are built right here in Michigan, and have gained a great reputation and following. Jon Herrington tours with a setup like he was playing behind last Wednesday at the clinic I attended.

424208_10152010476940596_2010766655_n.jpg

So I bought one. It's a GT100 FV that will hopefully deliver, undamaged, next week.

Needless to say, I'm stoked.

Guytrons are known for great tones across a broad range of styles. The F/V has the circuitry in it to provide the versatility of having 16 different amps in one package I'm not talking about digital models. I mean the amp has built in switchable circuitry to provide voicing such as Blackface Twin, Silverface Twin, 60's Tweed, Marshall Plexi, Vox AC30, and others.

It uses a patented design where the internal 20 watt preamp output (composed of 12ax7 and EL84s) is reduced to line level and fed into the 100 watt power stage composed of EL34s. It also had master volume controls. So even though it's a 100 watt amp, the power can be scaled way down to get a really good cranked amp sound at apartment appropriate volumes. Or, it can cut through the mix in a large room. And because of the the unique design, outputs from it's clean channel can amplified up to 100 watts without breaking up.

Maybe I drank the kool-aid, but I really like the idea of being able to enjoy great tone inside my home, and also be able to make some noise in big open spaces like Steiner's place.

There's another purchase pending, and likely something coming up for sale.

Stay tuned.

I dig the built in amplifiers in the entertainment center. Very efficient placement!

The Guytron is without a doubt one of the most versatile stage performer's tube amps of all time. The only downside is with all that complexity they can be a beast for a non- factory tech to fix. I have a friend who has one, it had a problem, and required repeated trips to the tech over a year before it was fixed. It takes a very good design for a 100 watt amp to sound great at small room volumes, my 100 watt Ceriatone SSS has that same quality. Rare quality indeed.

I'd be so pleased to have the opportunity to own or play through a Guytron, they are wonderful sounding. You bought one very, very, serious amp, way to go!

Boutique amps for boutique guitars,

Boutique guitars for boutique amps!

The Guytron is without a doubt one of the most versatile stage performer's tube amps of all time. The only downside is with all that complexity they can be a beast for a non- factory tech to fix. I have a friend who has one, it had a problem, and required repeated trips to the tech over a year before it was fixed.

I have a friend who owns Guytron.

Pretty cool building your amps into your entertainment center. Can see getting a lot more use for them than a tv any 'ol day :) And a couple Mich amps to go with your Mich guitars. Way cool!

I've only read about Guytron and it's been positive. Sound like pretty versatile and extremely well voiced amps. Congrats!

btw - ditto-ditto on the pleasure of meeting you Sat at PSP. A small world moment regarding Redford and Will Rogers school! Pay little heed to the naysayers behind the curtain debating Friday's late night jam improvements... PSP is an awesome event. Hoping you can make Friday next year at PSP!

I have a friend who owns Guytron.

Hah! You da daddy! Built here in US! Some good neener neener factor there!

Your situation is easier than mine...

I know the owner of Ceriatone, but I'm having to ship back to Malaysia if I want any of the factory workers to fix it. There are US service centers, though.

You see the section of the wall unit with the wedding picture.

It goes there.

Yes, perfect place. Because, even if it's your own den, the wife will not miss having wedding pictures on display. :thumbsup: Let us know how that works out!! ... :laughing7: BTW, great amp stand. Best I've ever seen.

Archived