Heritage Owners Club

Delay, delay, delay...

tsp17

Have the TC Nova, a great delay, sounds digital even in the analogue mode.

Advantages: programmable presets. Big easy to read display. Lots of different delay modes. Long delay time

Disadvantages: needs a 12v power supply, preferably a dedicated one with nothing else using that psu. It's big. I found it non intuitive to use, digfficult to get sound I liked and I found myself always unintentionally overwriting the wrong presets.

I've since got an MXR Carbon Copy which suits my ear better, warmer sound and very easy to get a sound with. Having said that I haven't used either in quite a while, I guess I'm not really a delay guy these days.

The EH SMMH has some cool features but I always thought that it sucked some of my level and tone (not as much as the Line 6 DL4), I ended up buying a Empress Superdelay and now a Timeline( both great pedals but way more expensive). Can´t comment on the other ones.

What kind of delay are you looking for?

The EH SMMH has some cool features but I always thought that it sucked some of my level and tone (not as much as the Line 6 DL4), I ended up buying a Empress Superdelay and now a Timeline( both great pedals but way more expensive). Can´t comment on the other ones.

What kind of delay are you looking for?

I have an MXR CarbonCopy and like it a lot, but looking for some other options like two delays, reverse, etc

In my opinion, the Strymon Timeline, Empress Superdelay and the Eventide Timefactor have the best sound and features, but they are on the expensive side.

You might have to go and try the ones you mentioned (if possible), they all have good features but I don´t how they sound (except for the EH like I mentioned above).

Guest HRB853370

Opinions/experience/insights please

1. TC Electronics Nova ND-1

2. EH SMMH

3. Boss dd20

Thanks

Only used Boss so far, works great.

+1 on the EH DMM

especially those big knobs you can easily manipulate with your feet, while playing

there is a true bypass mod out there but I think the newer ones came with it

....what is an SMMH?

The ultimate delay pedal IMO is the Yamaha UD Stomp. They're hard to find though because those of us that have them won't sell them. It was/is the favorite of guitar legend Allan Holdsworth who IIRC had a hand in designing the pedal as well as several of it's presets. It is actually eight delays in one unit giving you a dizzying array of sounds with unequalled control over far more parameters than any other delay pedal ever made. It is my 'desert island' pick of all the efx units and pedals I've ever owned.

Like, and am currently using Carbon Copy. As Southpaw says, it's a warmer sound (rather, it's transparent).

Used to use the Boss DD 7, liked it, too - only way to describe it is it has it's own voicing - a hotter sound.

It seems there are a lot of Carbon Copy users that are happy with it. The warmth factor is getting to me in a good way. But I'm leaning towards one of the Boss DD models since they seem to have more options/features than the MXR CC.

Sorry if this is a subtle thread hijack, but at least it is on topic, and might help TSP with additional details...

I've got the TC Nova and would agree with SPG's appraisal of it: a powerful unit but not the most intuitive. He missed one thing: it's a stereo pedal too.

Yeah, forgot that point, it is a great piece of kit. I used to be a heavy user of delay, my main one was a WEM Copicat and nothing I've tried has come close to that one. The Carbon Copy repeats do actually sound degraded like tape unlike the Novas' delays which are only muffled in tone.

There are so many good delays, if you want the absolute top of the line with the most features the Strymon Timeline or Empress Superdelay, they will do any delay you can think of and do reverse and octave type effects as well, also the Strymon El Capistan is amazing, not quite as many features though. On the other, less expensive end of the spectrum, is the Carbon Copy, I think a lot of people will agree that for the money you can't beat the tone. If you need really, spacey, trippy delays then you should probably be looking at digital delays. One other thing, you don't hear about them as much but a ping pong delay is a very cool effect.

Probably not much help huh?

Strymon El Capistan is the only delay you will ever need. The pedal is incredible and has some many options from Single, Fixed, Multi delays to adding tape sag to artifacts in the drum. You can also control the tone (bass or treble of the delays) and the COOLEST is you can add reverb to the delay.

I will NEVER ever need another delay pedal and I am a DELAY JUNKIE!!!!!

uh....wow.

I left that one out for a reason, it's a real tape echo and sounds amazing, but it just really isn't worth the money for a giging musician or guy who just plays at home or out occasionally, and not a lot of tricks up it's sleeve.

Strymon El Capistan is the only delay you will ever need. The pedal is incredible and has some many options from Single, Fixed, Multi delays to adding tape sag to artifacts in the drum. You can also control the tone (bass or treble of the delays) and the COOLEST is you can add reverb to the delay.

I'm a fan, haven't been able to free up the cash for one but I really like them. So far I think the most Ive spent on a pedal is $200, it's almost like a bridge I can't make myself cross.

I LOVE this pedal! It sounds so good! It´s always on my pedalboard. I didn´t mentioned before because he said he wanted something with different features (reverse, etc), but this one is great!

Archived