Heritage Owners Club

Can a looper play pre-recorded backing tracks?

Singerman

I'm considering getting a simple looper for practice, and I'd like to have one that is capable of storing/playing pre-recorded backing tracks - like those available from numerous online sources - in addition to the standard self-made loops. Is this possible, or would I need two separate devices? I stopped by the local Guitar Center to ask about this, but the guy I talked to was unsure.

yes

the Boss RC-2, which is a solid beast, can store any audio signal from any device through a 3mm input. You could hook up your iPhone, play Allman brothers outthe headphone jack, capture the portion you wish, and pretend you're Dickey Betts to your hearts content.

Ask me how i know...

the RC-2 is the base unit in Boss's Looper line. Not cheap exactly, and not the sort of thing you plug into and start jammin' on. you need to read a bit, familiarize yourself, and practice the pedal operation and settings. But it's built like a tank and works flawlessly. They have more elaborate pedals in the line as well. I can only assume that as ubiquitous as the Boss loopers are, the competition has the same capabilities, or at least a few worthy competitors do.

Archived