Heritage Owners Club

Minor Pedal Binge

tsp17

I blame JeffB for my falling into "maybe I'll try yet another OD pedal hell." There I was, content to research and perhaps unnecessarily add a compressor to my rig, when he posted that d@mn thread on his Jetter adventure. He so nailed his description of the irrational decision making process and new pedal love/hate that i couldn't help going down the path. Got me thinking, maybe ....Now, I already have a Plush Valve Job that i like and a Boss BD-2 as a backup (thinking about modding it), so why would I buy another light/moderate OD? Then John C. posted his pithy reply about buying the same pedal more than once and i was done for. Bad enough to get a compressor that i may or may not even need.

Just bought a Diamond Compressor and a v2 Tim (not Timmy- I like the idea of a clean boost and i've got plenty of room on the board). Compressor is on its way today, Tim will arrive in 2 weeks or so.

RGS-PC-TIM-2T.jpg

CPR-1-2T.jpg

Whats wrong with pedal addiction. If you think about it a pedal can totally change the character of both guitar and amp. It's like being able to binge on guitars and amps w/o the big price tag. They also are easier to pass by the Mrs. as etcetera. I've added some super cool tones in the last year and while the pedals I've been interested in aren't cheep they are much better on the budget than amp or guitar GAS. My current favorites are, well, not important! But fun none the less.

Poking around the web last night i noticed that there is some buzz i had not seen about Tim not being well suited to Fender blackface style scooped amps. I also read some posts from Paul Cochrane himself who says he built these pedals for Marshalls and other more midrange oriented amps. Initially, I did not like to see that since my new KBP build is based on a BF Twin Reverb circuit. However, mine is voiced a little darker and i'll be running it into very warm speakers (Jensen Jet Blackbird 12 or Raezer's Edge Stealth 10). Also, i am not going to use it to rock, just in jazz to vary tone and get some break up when i want it for getting "outside" a bit on o few tunes that our band jams on ( e.g., So What, Impressions, Take Five, Footprints). I have used my Plush Valve job and my now deceased Sparkle Drive (a very good pedal and reasonably priced by the way, but the build quality on mine was an issue).

Also read Jack Z's and other's comments on jazzguitar.be that it is all of course a matter of taste and folks run Tim into BF amps with great results. Certainly true, and if Tim does not suit me, it will be up for grabs here first. So, I am not worried about it. I am coming to realize that trying them and flipping them to try another is half the fun.

Thoughts? experiences?

Don't think you can go wrong with a TIm pedal.

I've jammed at some Sunday jams with a rig equip'd with a Diamond Compressor. Seemed transparent enough. Really didn't know it was on, for that matter. He turns it on, leaves it on. Could be a good 'un.

Ha ha!!

I had the Timmy for a while. It worked fine with my fender and the guy who bought it from me uses it with a Fender twin. He has a seriously good sound going on.

I probably should have kept it.

I think you will like it a lot.

Archived