Heritage Owners Club

NEW AMP DAY! 120W Dime Amplification Head

HANGAR18

NEW AMP DAY! 120W DIME Head (Yes, it's PURPLE with green hand written knob lettering, and yes, it's ONE HUNDRED TWENTY watts.)

Brand named of course after "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott of Pantera and Damageplan

Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet because the landlord is home but I am thinking that this amp may be the first amp banned from the barn. hahahaha

The head is the size of a Plexi and fits nicely on that Fender Metal Head cabinet I just got recently with the four 12" Celestions.
Especially since it won't fit on my Marshall MG412B cabinet.

(So now I have 3 heads and 2 cabinets. Does this mean I'm allowed to get a third cabinet?)

This is an all solid state amp, it has two channels and you can play both channels at the same time if you like. Came with a foot switch.

More information from the manufacturer. Dime Amplification is a division of Dean Guitars.

http://www.dimeamps.com/d100.php

DIME D100 HEAD

• 120 Watts (rms @ 4 ohms)
• 80 Watts (rms @ 8 ohms)
• Two Channels
• 4-Band EQ (Presence, Bass, Mid, Treble)
• Reverb
• Boost Switch (for added gain)
• Dual Effects Loops
• Line Out
• FS1 Footswitch Included
• Dime's Famous Tone
• 11"H x 29.25"W x 9.75"D, 39 lbs
• Also available in White, Red or Purple Finishes

post-679-0-25058500-1349483107_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-77582300-1349483117_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-50740400-1349483154_thumb.jpg

Excellent! If it's SS, you won't have to "dime" it to get it to give up the goods. You should be able to play under the radar even if the landlord (where did they get that name?) is home.

She's a cool looking amp; have at thee!

That is one bad ass looking head!! It make me think of a blue (or purple!) Shelby Cobra 500, rolling right off the assembly line in Dearborn.

And ya gotta love a 120 watt amp whose on/off switch says "Light Em Up!" on it.

AMP REVIEW:

It behaves a lot different than either of my two other amps and I've been wrestling with feedback.

Since Dime amps are a Dean guitar brand, I plugged in the Dean V, which has some unknown model, high gain passive pickups (with some 30th anniversary engraving on the covers) installed in it. The other thing that I usually do with my other amps is start out with the GAIN knob cranked almost all the way in order to get as much distortion as I can get but then adjust the volume to comfort. The first test flight with all of the above resulted in nearly out of control feedback, just as if I had been playing a hollow body or something.

After a lot of messing with it and some advice from the dealer/store owner, I approached the GAIN knob from the other direction, starting with it off, estimating where I wanted to go with the VOLUME knob and then slowly raising the GAIN knob to produce distortion very sparingly. That helped a lot. I also tried switching guitars and plugged in my Heritage H150 Special with Gibson pickups and that also made a big difference. I discovered that this particular Dean V just feeds back a lot more easily through this particular amp, even after I lowered the bridge pickup height a little bit. (It was a little too high on one end.)

For scientific method, I'll retry the Dean V in my other amps at high volume to see if it has any continuing feedback issues. (I haven't had the guitar a long time so I'm still getting accustomed to it.) While playing the Heritage H150 through this amp, I could get a lot louder without anywhere near as much feedback, but I did get a little teeny bit at very high volume.

I should say that when playing clean (no distortion) the amp was loud and clear as the saying goes. I'm not savvy enough to describe the kind of clean tone it produced compared to my other amps but I can describe the difference in the distortion as compared to my other amps, since that is how I usually play. The distortion is a lot more gravel-y sounding with this amp. I have to remind myself that this is a purpose built amp which is intended to have an artist specific sound to it as opposed to a versatile all purpose amp intended to produce an infinite variety of tones. By "gravel-y", I mean that I can not get a very refined and polished distortion out of it the way I can out of my Marshall. I also can not get the same kinds of distortion sound out of it as my Vox, which I describe every tone that comes out of it as "buttery classic rock" sounding.

So far, I have determined that this amp is best suited for playing early KISS tunes (and Pantera of course). The distortion tone from this amp seems ideally suited for songs like Cold Gin and Detroit Rock City. Which is not a problem because I'm still a KISS fan so to speak. Not as much as I was in the 1970's but enough that learning how to play all their early tunes is very high on my list of things to do.

High gain and big cabs arent allowed in my house...not by choice.... Never be able to let it breath...

I know what you mean. The sound pressure in the living room can get quite uncomfortable. So I guess that just means I'll have to run an extension cord out to the driveway and open it up. (insert sly evil grin here)

Archived