Heritage Owners Club

NAD: Peavey Rage 158

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

Nice little practice box in mint condition for $53 shipped to my door. Has a Blue Marvel 8" speaker, 15 watts, Transtube (which I really like). I like that I can find room in my living room for this one. Tone report will be forthcoming.

Rage158002_zpsc174062b.jpg

Rage158001_zpsca9f880e.jpg

Guest HRB853370

...And includes a headphone jack. I bet the Mrs. will appreciate that when you want to get your Zakk Wylde on.

And a CD input jack as well! Its truly a little practice amp. It gets pretty loud for its size, and I was afraid the bass notes would be nonexistent but that is not the case here. The dirty channel gets very loud. The modern/vintage switch is pretty cool. Modern is kind of like normal and vintage gets it sounding really Fender twangy, kind of like a Dick Dale sound. Very happy with this purchase that is made in the USA, when almost everything is made in China. The seller professionally packed it too.

When discussing Peavey amps, the term "work horse" is accurately used quite a bit. While your nice, clean 158 looks only a couple years old, I have seen much older Rage 158s and other teal striped Peavey amps that are pushing 30 years old in many pawn shops, fully functional after much use, and in some cases abuse. They are hard to kill. A lot of early Peavey stuff gets a bad rap for sounding bad, but I've not had that experience, and I've owned a Rage 158, an old Classic 212 VTX, 2 Bandits, a Classic 30, Vyper 15, my recently purchased Valveking, and another old teal striped tube amp that I can't remember the name of. Great bang for the buck, especially used. Congratulations on yours, I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Guest HRB853370

When discussing Peavey amps, the term "work horse" is accurately used quite a bit. While your nice, clean 158 looks only a couple years old, I have seen much older Rage 158s and other teal striped Peavey amps that are pushing 30 years old in many pawn shops, fully functional after much use, and in some cases abuse. They are hard to kill. A lot of early Peavey stuff gets a bad rap for sounding bad, but I've not had that experience, and I've owned a Rage 158, an old Classic 212 VTX, 2 Bandits, a Classic 30, Vyper 15, my recently purchased Valveking, and another old teal striped tube amp that I can't remember the name of. Great bang for the buck, especially used. Congratulations on yours, I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Thanks Brian. I was actually looking at a well used one (the original Rage 158) for around $35 and this one popped up (much newer) for $50. I am glad Peavey has not sold out their production to China or Taiwan or Korea. I have a Classic 50, have had two Bandits (still have one), an Express 112, a Delta Blues 210 and now this Rage. The only problem I ever had was scratchy pots on one of the Bandits. And Peavey amps sound good too!

Guest HRB853370

:icon_thumleft:

Heard strat through a Peavey Classic 30 tonight, and boy, did it sound FAT!

Enjoy your Peavey!

Classic 30 a tube amp, a very nice tube amp. I like me little portable amp!

Classic 30 a tube amp, a very nice tube amp. I like me little portable amp!

yes, I knew that. I had just not ever heard a strat through a C 30 - sounded damn good.

Guest HRB853370

yes, I knew that. I had just not ever heard a strat through a C 30 - sounded damn good.

Yeah, I think anything would sound good through a C30. They are plentiful on the used market and reasonable. A nice USA made amp. Shundog put a Weber speaker in his and it really opened the sound up.

Archived