Heritage Owners Club

What's Smaller than an Orange Tiny Terror? A Micro Terror!

schundog

I like the head phone jack on that little wonder. My wife would like it too!

Maybe I can work this into a stocking stuffer.

From watching that video, it is a 20 watt amp, but it's 20 watts of solid state power section. So its more like a 2 to 5 watt tube amp in regards to volume...

yeah, but a 5 watt amp can blow your walls down.

The front says 20W... Traynor makes a pedal that's a guitar amp with 20W output. I thought Orange had lifted the idea when I saw the first pic.

Hey Ben

can u post a pic of the pedal, or let us know the pedal name?

I watched the video DetroitBlues posted, and was suitably impressed, so today I popped into Hot Rox (Nottingham's purveyor of guitar-related goodies) and tried out the Micro Terror through an Orange 2x12 cab. Don't misled by the "20W solid state" label - this thing can be loud! To some extent this will depend on what speaker(s) you use. I got it home and tried it out with my 150 VSB with the Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays, running it into the Blackstar HTV112 cab (with the Celestion G12-65 replacing the standard 70/80) I normally use with my Ceriatone ODS.

I can see why the guys in the video are laughing - this is a versatile little amp! With the gain up to about 4 it's quite clean but warm. From 5 to 7 it gets crunchy and above 7 it gives more distortion than I would need. The tone control is very effective - my preference was somewhere in the middle. Turning anti-clockwise boosts bass and cuts treble, clockwise does the reverse. Running the gain at 7 or 8 gives a good lead sound and backing off the guitar volume cleans it up nicely.

I got out my decibel meter, placed it about 1m in front of the cab, set the gain to 5, volume to 5 and strummed away. It was consistently reading at around 102 dB. Turned the gain to 8, played a bit of lead and it peaked at over 110 dB. More than enough for playing at home... :laughing7:

It cost me £99, so I reckon it's a bit of a bargain.

I'm going to buy one right now. I demo'd it today at GC through a 1X12 cab and it sounded great, plenty loud! The only controversy is GC said you don't get the 8" orange speaker cab with it - I heard, in one of the videos, that it ships with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a rehearsal this evening for an upcoming gig, and while the studio provides backline and PA, the amps aren't brilliant. So I decided to bring the Micro Terror, which I put through a Crate 4x12 cab. I also took my Korg AX1500, and the little amp more than held its own. The gig is in just over a week, and I'll be using the Ceriatone OTS with the 1x12 cab with the Celestion G12-65, but I'll bring the Micro Terror to try out in the soundcheck. Should be a bit of a laugh... :laughing7:

You'd do well to talk Brian into building one last Princeton clone for you. Or even a champ you could mic up on stage.

At any rate, that's just my opinion -what is on your Xmas list?

Archived