Heritage Owners Club

Three Little Amps

HANGAR18

Today, I bought three small amps off of Craigslist, which appear to be from the 1970's era, from a young guy who was nowhere near old enough to have seen the 70's, who BTW, lived in Brentsville.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/19562-welcome-to-brentsville/

The seller didn't know anything about the amps but stated that the Marshall didn't work well. I am trying to learn more about amps and since the Marshall had a vintage look to it, I thought it might be worth a try to find out what was wrong with it and fix it if possible. I was hoping that it was a little tube amp, but no... it turned out to be a solid state Bass amp made in England and the ground lug is broke off of the cord.

The other two amps I didn't care about but the seller was trying to sell all of them at once and so I went along with it in order to get the Marshall.

So now, I'm trying to figure out what these amps are, if they are worth anything, whether or not the Marshall can be fixed and what I should do with them. All of them showed signs of having been stored in a shed or basement for decades. No extra charge for the spider webs and dirt. The young seller said that the ams were his brother's (I didn't ask about the brother) and that he just wanted to get rid of them. He said he tested the amps with an iPod.

Amp #1: Marshall Bass 12, Made in England with Celestion G10L-35 8 ohm speaker. Seller described volume cutting in an out while turning the knobs. (See photos attached to this post.)

Amp #2: ZAPP Z-10 Made in USA, Red Tree Music inc. (Photos to be attached in the next post.)

Amp #3: Epiphone Studio 10S, Made in China, Only as thick as a phone book and it has a kick stand on the back. (Photos to be attached in the next post.)

post-679-0-94469900-1352417506_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-84604000-1352417819_thumb.jpg

These are the photos of the Epiphone amp and the Zapp amp.

I did find a listing on fleabay where a seller stated that the ZAPP amp was rare because there were only 250 made.

I also found the name of a guy associated with the amp (Bob Archigian), found a listing for him on Facebook and then sent him a message asking for information about the amp.

post-679-0-44460600-1352419744_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-76115800-1352419759_thumb.jpg

From E-Bay:

ZAPP Z-5 Guitar Amp 5 Watts Solid State

Amp is in great shape, has some marks, wear on corners, ect., but works fine; Zapp Amps: Made in USA, Boutique solid state practice amp, only 250 made in the 1970s, sold by Red Tree Music and developed by Bob Archigian. These are really cool, and extremely rare. Has a leather handle and 6-inch Music City speaker. Dimensions: 13 x 14.5 x 6 inches; Weight: 10 lbs

From E-Bay:

ZAPP Z-5 Guitar Amp 5 Watts Solid State

5 watts? That explains why it is quieter than the Epiphone.

I'm thinking that I'll post the Zapp and the Epiphone on my local CL asking $20 each and see if I can get any interest.

Haven't plugged in the Marshall yet until I can get to the hardware store to buy a replacement plug for the end of the power cord.

Archived