Heritage Owners Club

Crackle coming from input jack

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

I am getting an intermittent crackle from the high gain input jack on my Peavey bass amp. The low gain jack seems to be fine. Its kind of a popping, and crackling sound when there is a slight amount of stress on the plug when it is in the jack. I ruled out a faulty cable already. Does anybody think spraying inside the jack hole with contact cleaner might help (or is this a no-no?). And if so, what is a recommended brand of contact cleaner spray?

Guest HRB853370

I am getting an intermittent crackle from the high gain input jack on my Peavey bass amp. The low gain jack seems to be fine. Its kind of a popping, and crackling sound when there is a slight amount of stress on the plug when it is in the jack. I ruled out a faulty cable already. Does anybody think spraying inside the jack hole with contact cleaner might help (or is this a no-no?). And if so, what is a recommended brand of contact cleaner spray?

you also could try tightening the nut & see if that helps?

if it's an oldschool 1/4 plug you may be able to bend the contact a bit, so it makes firmer contact with the plug when it's inserted. probably have to open the amp to get to it though

!CEoO3V!B2k~$(KGrHqQOKjoE0bpp9RZjBNSc07tDb!~~_35.JPG

Guest HRB853370

you also could try tightening the nut & see if that helps?

if it's an oldschool 1/4 plug you may be able to bend the contact a bit, so it makes firmer contact with the plug when it's inserted. probably have to open the amp to get to it though

!CEoO3V!B2k~$(KGrHqQOKjoE0bpp9RZjBNSc07tDb!~~_35.JPG

Chris, couldnt the nut be removed and the jack pulled out enough to bend that contact a little? I dont think I could easily get to it from the inside of the amp since its solid state.

Guest HRB853370

If you can't clean it, a little disassembly is required.

Umm, clean it how? Spraying contact cleaner in the hole?

While I appreciate your regular input DB, your unspecificity drives me nuts sometimes!

Guest HRB853370

You need to figure out to take it apart to get to the input jack....

I need to figure out to take it apart to get to the input jack. That statement makes zero sense to me. How about telling me how to clean it first?

What Bolero said makes the most sense. I get crackles and pops like that when input jacks are failing. It could be a loose or broken solder joint, but most likely is caused by the contact needing to be bent in towards the center so it makes positive contact with the end pin of the cable.

Just unplug the amp, turn the power switch on, and remove it from the cabinet. It's probably only held in place by a half dozen screws. You may have to take a back panel off as well. Once it's off, be careful not to touch any of the capacitors. With it unplugged and the power on, they'll likely discharge themselves, but that's not guaranteed. With the amp chassis out, you should have easy access to the back side of the jack where you can check the connections, and bend the contact(s) in.

More simple than transporting it to a tech.

Will, you'll need to determine if its an open frame jack or an enclosed jack or a PC mount jack.

14B_&_12B.jpg114BX.jpgRA49B11.jpgrn112apc.jpg

Open frame jack are easy to fix, usually a simple bend to increase tension will fix it. If its mounted on a PC board, or uses an enclose jack, you'll probably want to replace it. They're more difficult to fix. Try using the contact cleaner mentioned above and if that doesn't fix it, have a tech look at the amp.

I haven't looked inside either of my Peavey amps to see what type of jack they use.

Guest HRB853370

Thanks all. What I was wondering was, if I loosen the little nut on the front panel, do you think the jack might have enough wire length to pull it gently out of the faceplate then I can do that little bending routine without having to disassemble the chassis back?

that jack will not come out thru the faceplate, the hole is probably the same diameter as the threaded part that projects forward

you *could* try sticking something in there & bending it up...but you'd have to be able to see inside thru the hole to determine where the tang is oriented

---->honestly, it will take you 5-10 mins to pull the chassis & see what you've got in there.

if it's a newer sealed jack you may have to just replace it. sometimes you can bend them too though

Guest HRB853370

take a small piece of sandpaper, roll it up and work that in and out of the jack a few times...it will clean it up

Thanks! Tips from Brentlouise!

Guest HRB853370

that jack will not come out thru the faceplate, the hole is probably the same diameter as the threaded part that projects forward

you *could* try sticking something in there & bending it up...but you'd have to be able to see inside thru the hole to determine where the tang is oriented

---->honestly, it will take you 5-10 mins to pull the chassis & see what you've got in there.

if it's a newer sealed jack you may have to just replace it. sometimes you can bend them too though

This amp is a mid 90's Peavey Bolero, so its old school components.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HRB853370

Something like that... He's more like my older brother... Much older brother ;)

What you say Big Bro? At least you didnt say "your Daddy" !

Oh, crackle problem is solved. I used some rolled up sandpaper and worked it in and out of the jack, as Brent suggested, then sprayed some CRC contact cleaner into the jack hole. Presto! No more jack noise.

What you say Big Bro? At least you didnt say "your Daddy" !

Oh, crackle problem is solved. I used some rolled up sandpaper and worked it in and out of the jack, as Brent suggested, then sprayed some CRC contact cleaner into the jack hole. Presto! No more jack noise.

If you were my Daddy, I'd look in the mirror and exclaim, "Thank God! Looks like I was adopted!"

Archived