Heritage Owners Club

GarageBand: Ipad App

schundog

Eventually, the Ipad is going to be a more integral part of my work life, from giving presentations on it exclusively (I still prefer a laptop) to entering emails/orders, to tracking expenses/sales. If I'm going to have to be tied to this thing, I'm going to learn some of the fun stuff it can do, too!

GarageBand is a fun way to create music, and has a ton of options to make about anything you want with virtual instruments. I downloaded it months ago for $5 or $10, I don't remember, and kind of forgot about it. I decided to try it out tonight. First off, I needed an interface to go from the 1/8 out on the top of the Ipad to something to let me plug in a guitar and headphones. The Peavey Ampkit Link worked fine, as would iRig. They run $20-$30 new.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/100_9201.jpg[/img]"]https://100_9201.jpg

Then I set up an automatic drum loop. This is done is Smart Drums and then you can "shake the dice" to have a different pattern come up until you get one you like. This is just one option for drums.

100_9195.jpg

You can reposition the percussion pieces to be louder or softer, or more complex or simpler by where you put it in the big box pictured here. The dice is in the lower left hand corner.

100_9193.jpg

I then laid down a Smart Bass bass track. A Bass comes up, and you touch the frets just like on a real one, while listening to the drum track.

100_9199.jpg

Then a little B-3 action on another track. Just a I-IV-V deal....

100_9205.jpg

Then, pick your amp of choice, along with effects. I went simple with a blackface Fender with some reverb and tremolo.

100_9204.jpg

100_9202.jpg

I hit record, played a lame 12 bars, and shut it off. The recording interface looks like most, with each track individually tracked.

100_9206.jpg

The one thing I don't like (haven't figured out) is how to easily convert it from a GarageBand file to an MP3. Therefore, for now, you are spared listening to this thing. I'm trying to send it to itunes right now, but it's taking forever, so I proabably did something wrong. Anyway, I thought you guys might see some potential in this type of tool.

Try the Learn Garageband 11 App- it is very helpful! (for iPhones and iPads) you can get it in iTunes

Thanks! Yeah, I definitely need to go through a tutorial on this thing, but being a guy, I didn't bother to "read the manual." I'll check that one out. Have you used GarageBand very much? Do you like it?

I have the app, as well as Amplitube and Ampkit, both work just as well (a little easier to fire up and rock out). For an interface, the IK iRig iStomp is a perfect tool for using with an iPod or iPad. Its actually my backup rig for directly interfacing a PA for live music. Garageband does the most, but takes the most time to use.

OK, no laughing! I sent the file from GarageBand to Itunes, converted it from it's MP4 format to MP3 via a free converter, and then uploaded it into Soundclick. Here it is. It ends rather abruptly; I didn't bother trying any fixes or anything, I just wanted to see if I could figure out how to upload it.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12024169&q=hi

This is the REAL garage band. Accept no substitutes.

Will, you gotta quit stalking young teenage bands, asking them to let you be their drummer; even though you are much better than their current drummer, it creeps the kids out, and they are going to call the cops! (unless you promise to buy them beer, haha.)

Guest HRB853370

Will, you gotta quit stalking young teenage bands, asking them to let you be their drummer; even though you are much better than their current drummer, it creeps the kids out, and they are going to call the cops! (unless you promise to buy them beer, haha.)

I gots to do sumpin to keep myself feelin young....

Thanks! Yeah, I definitely need to go through a tutorial on this thing, but being a guy, I didn't bother to "read the manual." I'll check that one out. Have you used GarageBand very much? Do you like it?

Yes, I like it very much- I use my Axe Fx and a Apogee Duet...works pretty well, I am pleased...check out the apps and see what you think-

Yes, I like it very much- I use my Axe Fx and a Apogee Duet...works pretty well, I am pleased...check out the apps and see what you think-

I sprung for the $.99 app, and am still working my way through the first section. Lots of good stuff there, it appears. For instance, I just watched the section where he explains where the loops are, and how to drop them in. I could have saved myself about an hour the other night if I had watched that first! I just gotta get past the fact that the instructor is a goofball, haha. I appreciate the heads up on the app. I'll definitely work my way through it. You've got some nice stuff for recording!

I got it for my ipod touch. Its kinda cool.

Last night I downloaded Audacity and used a drum loop I made on the ipod.

Everything seemed easy to do on both the ipod garage bands and on Audacity.

Tonight Im dragging out the drum kit, killing some sqeaks and cleaning it down.

• 1 month later...

I use this and AmpKit on my iPad 2. It's great when you're on the road and need somthing to practice with. Although the amp models are pretty good, I find the latency is significant and gives everything a slapback feel, which IMO limits how it can be used. Still worth it for convenience and fun though.

Archived