Heritage Owners Club

ORANGE Amps. What's the story? (Short story.)

HANGAR18

I know now that Orange amps were invented a long time ago, but over the past couple of decades or more, I had never heard of them until just the past couple of years when I started seeing them appear on Craigslist. Talk about sticker shock!!! The USED asking prices for anything made by Orange almost seems at times to be more expensive than brand new Marshall amps and stuff.

So, what I am interested in learning is, why are Orange amps and cabinets priced so incredibly high, even for used equipment? Are they really that good or is there some of that name brand fad stuff going on that over-inflates the price just because of the name?

post-679-0-33613800-1354140856_thumb.jpg

The construction of the cabs is supposed to be superior to what most builders do. Cabs are much thicker, and more sturdy. Some type of plywood the use. What ever it is, it's supposed to have better tone transfer for the speaker then any other cab. I know the Orange TT sounds awesome!

The construction of the cabs is supposed to be superior to what most builders do. Cabs are much thicker, and more sturdy. Some type of plywood the use. What ever it is, it's supposed to have better tone transfer for the speaker then any other cab. I know the Orange TT sounds awesome!

Interesting. The cabinet in the photo does look rather thick and like they spent a lot of effort on it.

But the free standing amp heads are also really expensive too. I don't think I've heard anyone say that they don't like the way they sound.

Guest HRB853370

I know now that Orange amps were invented a long time ago, but over the past couple of decades or more, I had never heard of them until just the past couple of years when I started seeing them appear on Craigslist. Talk about sticker shock!!! The USED asking prices for anything made by Orange almost seems at times to be more expensive than brand new Marshall amps and stuff.

So, what I am interested in learning is, why are Orange amps and cabinets priced so incredibly high, even for used equipment? Are they really that good or is there some of that name brand fad stuff going on that over-inflates the price just because of the name?

Its the colour. Nobody else makes orange coloured amps, so that makes them valuable in the minds of some!!

Yep, they're all that and a bag of snacks...

Yes They Are!! My Tiny Terror is the BEST rock amp I've ever owned!! All Tube, 12 inch Celestion Speaker, Standby Switch, also has two modes..7 watts and 15 watts..Just a great amp..Especially with a humbucker equipped guitar!!

Its the colour. Nobody else makes orange coloured amps, so that makes them valuable in the minds of some!!

Might want to look at some chassis and gut shots of the old ones to see the ah, heritage behind today's stuff, interpretation also depends on what knowledge is stored behind those eyes. Ever price a Narb, Park, or Harry Joyce built Hiwatt? There are some very good reasons for the prices besides market forces. Peace.

The first Orange amps were built by a company called Matamp - Orange was originally a music shop, whose owner (Clifford Cooper) went into partnership with Mat Mathias of Matamp to produce Orange amps. The partnership split in the mid 1970s and the two went their separate ways. Matamp today are something of a boutique amp company - they're hand built in Holmfirth, Yorkshire, just down the road from Mark555 (who I believe is a big fan of them). Worth investigating.

Orange has REALLY bumped up their marketing and endorsers (not that this is a bad thing). I am just saying that 10 years ago you NEVER saw an Orange amp.

Mikenov, who used to be very active here, brought his 50Watt Orange head to PSPIII and it was the best overdriven sounding amp there.

Okay, I talked to a guy today who said that Orange cabinets only sound good if you use an Orange amp with them in that they (the cabinets) wouldn't sound good with any other brand of amp plugged into it. I thought that was interesting but I don't really have the means or the interest to test that particular opinion.

Okay, I talked to a guy today who said that Orange cabinets only sound good if you use an Orange amp with them in that they (the cabinets) wouldn't sound good with any other brand of amp plugged into it. I thought that was interesting but I don't really have the means or the interest to test that particular opinion.

Sounds to me like someone's over-thought the subject.

Well, Mesa Cabs really only sound good with a Triple Recifier-like head. And Thiele Cabs with EV12M speakers only sound good with certain amps. Fender amps use open back cabs, Marshall largely use close backs.

Point is, Orange probably do "voice" their cabs toward their amps.

I seriously doubt that. But if it helps sell a matching head so be it!

Well, Mesa Cabs really only sound good with a Triple Recifier-like head. And Thiele Cabs with EV12M speakers only sound good with certain amps. Fender amps use open back cabs, Marshall largely use close backs.

Never thought of that...

No doubt about that. I'm just not buying the premise that Orange cabs only sound good with Orange heads; or vice-versa.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a BJ that I had modded and still felt I couldn't get the "rock" sound I was after. Replaced with the TT combo and it has been great. Very easily get that Jimmy Page sound with my H140. Replacing the TT will be the Orange TH30 combo which looks even more versatile and has an effect loop.

Strangely, I had the extension 1x12 Orange cab to go with my TT combo and liked the sound better without the ext.

Archived