Heritage Owners Club

Might have a problem

big bob

The sound city was turned on for 5 min or so w/o being connected to the cab. It works, but seems to hiss quite a bit louder than before. Any ideas what got cooked? Output transformer? Tubes? Caps?

I can't really crank it up this late at night. So I guess I'm waiting for the tomorrow afternoon.

I'm not sure 5 min is long enough to cause harm unless it's turned up high. It seems to me that the trannys take the brunt with an infinite load. I hope you were drinking heavily at the time.

I'm not sure 5 min is long enough to cause harm unless it's turned up high. It seems to me that the trannys take the brunt with an infinite load. I hope you were drinking heavily at the time.

No, it was just a stupid accident. I had jut set up another amp head on top of it, when I reached behind to set up the cables I must have switched on the sound city with my knee. I did not even know it was on for five min. Or so. The dials on the sound city wee all set at about 2.

Any reduction in power or sound quality? Or just the hiss? (of course I realize you won't be able to really answer that question until tomorrow afternoon)

While your at it, with the amp on, start at a low volume level and slowly turn the volume up - take note on if the volume of the hiss also increases, or essentially stays the same.

If it's just light hiss, your power amp section (power tubes and transformers) should be just fine - though if the hiss has become rather prevalent, it's possible a power tube may have been damaged and is arcing internally.

Any reduction in power or sound quality? Or just the hiss? (of course I realize you won't be able to really answer that question until tomorrow afternoon)

While your at it, with the amp on, start at a low volume level and slowly turn the volume up - take note on if the volume of the hiss also increases, or essentially stays the same.

If it's just light hiss, your power amp section (power tubes and transformers) should be just fine - though if the hiss has become rather prevalent, it's possible a power tube may have been damaged and is arcing internally.

I'll know tomorrow,

Guest HRB853370

The sound city was turned on for 5 min or so w/o being connected to the cab. It works, but seems to hiss quite a bit louder than before. Any ideas what got cooked? Output transformer? Tubes? Caps?

I can't really crank it up this late at night. So I guess I'm waiting for the tomorrow afternoon.

Check to see if there is a cat in the back of the amp which could cause hiss. Dan Greenberg (Spectrum13) recently had that issue.

Snakes...clearly. Snakes in the amp....

Not sure why I didn't think of it before, this is cleary the problem.

You might not be qualified to correct this from your end - I highly advise taking the amp to Samual L Jackson who can help you get those mother f'n snakes out of the mother f'n amp.

Not sure why I didn't think of it before, this is cleary the problem.

You might not be qualified to correct this from your end - I highly advise taking the amp to Samual L Jackson who can help you get those mother f'n snakes out of the mother f'n amp.

Of course, another little known fact is that Samuel L. Jackson had his own line of beer; Here's his commercial for it, along with another great Samuel L. Jackson movie line.... Sorry, I got nothin' on the amp.

Of course, another little known fact is that Samuel L. Jackson had his own line of beer; Here's his commercial for it, along with another great Samuel L. Jackson movie line.... Sorry, I got nothin' on the amp.

Sam Adams is one of my favorite beers (when Two Hearted or another IPA is not readily available), Dave Chappel and Samuel L Jackson are awesome, therefore that happens to be one of my favorite sketches of all time :laughing6:

Guest HRB853370

Sam Adams is one of my favorite beers (when Two Hearted or another IPA is not readily available), Dave Chappel and Samuel L Jackson are awesome, therefore that happens to be one of my favorite sketches of all time :laughing6:

I dislike Sam Adams beer. It tastes like mud to me. However, I was drinking a couple of Oberons yesterday while watching the Falcons annihilate the Giants!~

Sometimes I'm even amazed at how many ways a thread can veer off track.

Just figured we had some time to kill before Big Bob got a chance to fire up the amp and put it through it's paces

I dislike Sam Adams beer. It tastes like mud to me. However, I was drinking a couple of Oberons yesterday while watching the Falcons annihilate the Giants!~

I've only ever cared for the original Boston Lager, it's a great beer (not a fan of any of their other brews); if Boston Lager tastes like South Carolina mud, then I need to bring the Jeep down to SC and run it through a few of them mud pits!

Just figured we had some time to kill before Big Bob got a chance to fire up the amp and put it through it's paces

I've only ever cared for the original Boston Lager, it's a great beer (not a fan of any of their other brews); if Boston Lager tastes like South Carolina mud, then I need to bring the Jeep down to SC and run it through a few of them mud pits!

with a couple mugs hanging out the window...

Guest HRB853370

Only if you bring the 157 and a KBPamp!!!

Well I had a chance to really crank her up today. The hum/hiss was louder than normal when I first powered her up but after a while it went back to normal. The hum/hiss did not get louder with volume increase. And I cranked her up pretty loud.

After a while she seemed normal..

Looks like I dodged a bullet on this one.

Thanks for keeping me sane while I waited.

Archived