Heritage Owners Club

Bending String-Gritty feel at 7th Fret on Tele

koula901

There's a gritty feel at the 7th fret of my tele when I bend the G string. I wonder what the problem might be. Could it be that the lacquer is wearing off, or maybe the fret has wear? I do bend the string in that position a lot. What say you, oh guitar sages.

What say you, oh guitar sages.

:laughing7:

Could be the fingerboard radius coming into play, i.e. fretting out. If it's only on one string it could be a sign that the action has changed with seasonal humidity variations, might just need a truss rod tweak.

I concur.

Ah, new strings don't always mean they are fresh or good. Might be a bad set. Did you notice it before the strings? If you feel its not the strings, carefully, rub a little steel wool on the suspected fret. Be sure to avoid touching the wood! Also, is it maple or rosewood? If it rosewood, oil the fretboard. If its maple, it may be just wearing down.

New strings of the same brand and gauge ? Or a different brand ? It's more noticeable on a strat or trem equipped guitar but lower tension equals lower action which may cause fret buzz, usually in the middle of the neck if there isn't enough relief. At the moment I'm running a humidifer when the heating is on to try and prevent any sudden major change of humidity. Also fwiw all maple necks seem to have more problems with humidity and temperatire variations than maple / rosewood.

If it's a metal grittiness you feel, it's likely the fret. Lacquer won't feel like that.

To rule out the string, drop the tuning F# and try bending the string. If it still grinds on the 7th fret, it's your fret.

You don't have to do anything about it unless you want to. The fret will eventually wear smooth.

How clean is the slot at the saddle? If the slot is sloppy (too wide or irregular), it might account for a perceived grittiness as you stretch the string. The string may be stretching ever so slightly at the slot with each bend and the string angle created. Also lateral movement of the saddle on the plate would be something to look at.

what it turned out to be, for anyone interested, is that there was some stuff on the frets (when they sprayed the neck, with whatever it is they spray it with) and it was never taken off. A little fine steel wool made it better again.

Guest HRB853370

Ah, new strings don't always mean they are fresh or good. Might be a bad set. Did you notice it before the strings? If you feel its not the strings, carefully, rub a little steel wool on the suspected fret. Be sure to avoid touching the wood! Also, is it maple or rosewood? If it rosewood, oil the fretboard. If its maple, it may be just wearing down.

What are the odds of having a bad set of strings with today's QC?

FYI: when fender paints their tele and strat necks, they do it after the frets are put on. So, they paint EVERYTHING. Then they come back and remove the finish, but only from the top of the frets. It'll still be on the sides. So, this is a normal thing that happens when fender teles.

FYI: when fender paints their tele and strat necks, they do it after the frets are put on. So, they paint EVERYTHING. Then they come back and remove the finish, but only from the top of the frets. It'll still be on the sides. So, this is a normal thing that happens when fender teles.

hmm . . . and it's a made in America tele; I would think the quality control would be better. who knew?

hmm . . . and it's a made in America tele; I would think the quality control would be better. who knew?

I wouldn't really call it a quality control thing. It's just how they have always made the necks with maple fretboards. My G&L SB-2 from 1989 was the same way.

Archived