Heritage Owners Club

Marshall Class 5 combo

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

Anybody know anything (good or bad) about these? There is one locally on CL and I may take a gawk at it. I know they are no longer made.

Guest HRB853370

This part of a review sounds scary-

"This is where the Class 5 starts to fall apart. No pun intended. EL84's usually get 100 to 300 hours of life on them. Changing the tubes in this amp, especially at a gig, might as well be like changing the lens on the Hubble Telescope. On most amps, the tubes are exposed, from the back and can easily be changed. On the Class 5, you have to literally remove the 3 PIECE back, 4 chassis screws (back and top), remove the chassis before you can get to the tubes. Then, good luck getting it all back together.

The Chassis bolts and nuts must be made of slag because on my first day of ownership, I stripped them. Bad! Luckily the chassis bolts and their threads they screw into are standard rack mount hardware, so it is easily replaceable, just painful!"

Weren't those Chinese made?

I have no experience with them but what I read implies they offer a high quality sound and low quality build at a good price.

Weren't those Chinese made?

I have no experience with them but what I read implies they offer a high quality sound and low quality build at a good price.

Most of the sub $1,000 Marshall amps are.... Only their new 1W tube models are UK made....

Guest HRB853370
Most of the sub $1,000 Marshall amps are.... Only their new 1W tube models are UK made....

WRONG!!!

MADE IN BLECKLEY U.K.

I know a guy who gigged one with a full band - no lie, I heard it, it sounded great, he just never got clean sounds out of it because he dimed it the whole time.

FWIW It has been said that many of the the inexpensive Chinese Marshall amps are "unreliable", (as in maybe they will work just fine and maybe they wont) and that overall, Marshall had stopped honoring the warranty due to an overwhelming number of failures/warranty claims.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody know anything (good or bad) about these? There is one locally on CL and I may take a gawk at it. I know they are no longer made.

My sound guy has this amp. It sounds alot like a bluesbreaker, if you crank it up all the up. We ran it through my 2x12 Marshall cab and it had some more punch to it. The only thing bad I have to say is its a one trick pony. But what it does it does well.

• 4 weeks later...

I had one, briefly, a little over a year ago. Unfortunately it was DOA. I tried different tubes to see if that was the issue. It wasn't, but I don't recall it being that difficult to get to the tubes. It was also pretty clearly marked made in the UK. I thought about trying another, especially as I liked the ability to switch it to 1/4 watt, but didn't give it a second try.

Archived