Heritage Owners Club

NAD

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

1963 Fender Vibroverb Reissue (1994)

I picked this up today in Raleigh NC, a mere 270 miles one way. Fearing the wrath of UPS I did not want her shipped. The seller was more than accommodating to having me pick it up. It is every bit as nice as it was described. Grill cloth is perfect; tolex looks to be 98% perfect with no really visible flaws. It came with the Fender cover too, but not the footswitch, but I have a spare. The seller had changed out the original 6L6 power tubes with 5881's. I got her back to our hotel room in Greensboro and fired her up with my 57 Strat. OMG! Crystal clear beautiful tones. The reverb is just lush and dripping and the vibrato is typical Fender. I think this amp was made for single coils, although I may find out differently once I get her home and plug in a Heritage 150. According to Yoslate, I did real well on the price too. I think this one is a keeper but I know I can recoup my investment should I ever have to sell her.

Vibroverb1963009_zpsaddb18f3.jpg

Vibroverb1963003_zpsb447c243.jpg

Vibroverb1963010_zps14d65ab4.jpg

Vibroverb1963011_zps8a43d4f9.jpg

Vibroverb1963002_zpsc8eb7808.jpg

Vibroverb1963012_zps8839ba24.jpg

Vibroverb1963013_zps87c9ff83.jpg

Guest HRB853370
That thing's gotta be heavy, and LOUD but I'll bet it sounds like a million bucks. Good snag, Slammer!

40 lbs Katy, not really bad, nowhere near the weight of my Peavey Classic 50 or a Twin Reverb. I didnt turn it past 2 in the hotel room and it was plenty loud. I heard these have quite a bit of headroom however.

Well done, Will!

What's the advantage of 5881's vs. 6L6 power tubes?

TBD Tim!! I read on one forum that the 5881's make it sound punchier. But I dont know what to compare it with.

5881 breaks up earlier - more clean headroom with 6L6 tubes. With an amp of this power, however, it's going to be pretty loud when the 5881s starting breaking up! :)

Thanks, H!

Couldn't one simply bias the 6L6's so that they broke up early?

Apart from having two speakers (2X10?) how is it different from a Reverb Deluxe?

By the way, the amp should take pedals well. Or, use an attenuator with it for listenable volumes when dialed up to it's sweet spot.

@Gitfiddler, you'd have to bias them so hot they wouldn't last very long. Better to put a pedal in front of the amp and go for breakup that way, in my opinion.

@Blunote, the circuit is more akin to a Super Reverb than a Reverb Deluxe. The RD runs 6V6 tubes, this runs 6L6s, so 20-odd watts versus 40-odd watts.

Guest HRB853370
@Gitfiddler, you'd have to bias them so hot they wouldn't last very long. Better to put a pedal in front of the amp and go for breakup that way, in my opinion.

@Blunote, the circuit is more akin to a Super Reverb than a Reverb Deluxe. The RD runs 6V6 tubes, this runs 6L6s, so 20-odd watts versus 40-odd watts.

H, and the SR is a 40 watter too just like this Vibro. I read someplace that this amp is self-biasing. Is there such a thing? Is so that would be nice when changing out tubes.

Guest HRB853370
I look forward to hearing that thing, Slammer. I wonder how it compares to the Patriot, both being 6L6s and 40/45 watts. I think the Patriot is supposed to be loosely based on the Super Reverb circuit.

Your Patriot is hand wired though Rich!!

Archived