Heritage Owners Club

Reverb question on Vibroverb

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

So, I get home and plug in the new (used) Vibroverb. Something is amuck with the reverb. When the reverb knob is dialed to zero, the amp sounds just fine. When I start notching up the reverb, there is this weird sound, almost like a chinese cymbal crashing, reverberating each time I pluck a string. It is more prominent on the bass strings of the guitar and when strumming a chord. I know this amp has a spring reverb as I hear the springs making a crashing sound when I move the amp. Here is the tube configuration:

TUBES

The ‘63 VIBROVERB tube complement consists of two

Fender Special Design 6L6WGC/5881’s (part number

039214), five Fender Special Design 12AX7A’s (part number

013341), and one Fender Special Design 12AT7 (part

number 023531).

Any ideas?

Guest HRB853370
I would have a look at the reverb pan , or maybe swap out the reverb driver tube if it uses one?

Are you sure the 2 reverb wires are hooked up correctly to the amp & pan?

They were never disconnected so I would assume so.

They were never disconnected so I would assume so.

There's that word "assume" again.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you what it means.

Just for fun switch the vibrato and reverb jacks and see if it helps. If not, then I'd swap in a known good tube, and check the connections to the reverb tank.

Guest HRB853370

Whats wrong with assuming? I like that word. When I plugged it up in my hotel room last nite, it didnt exhibit any problems. So it is logical to assume the wires would not switch themselves during the trip home.

Whats wrong with assuming? I like that word. When I plugged it up in my hotel room last nite, it didnt exhibit any problems. So it is logical to assume the wires would not switch themselves during the trip home.

Reminded me of a classic pop culture moment for the Odd Couple on TV...Felix diagrammed the word in court:

When you assume, you make an "ass" of "u" and "me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tKlWGZHEO7Q

If it didn't make the noise before but now it does, it probably isn't the wires (as you already said). since it is spring reverb I would check:

1. inside the box to see if a spring is loose

2. the tube powering the reverb

3. try putting something around the reverb box (like a rubber band or a soft bag),

it could be the box/spring is loose somewhere and moving when you hit a note (which causes the whole enclosure to vibrate)

Guest HRB853370

I am going to remove the pan and take a look. There are no plugs for the wires. The wires come out of the pan and go directly into the bottom of the chassis. I suspect there might be a problem with one of the springs. Oopps, I meant to say I assume there is a problem with one of the springs, at this point. Wonder which tube is for reverb? The 12AT7?

So, I get home and plug in the new (used) Vibroverb. Something is amuck with the reverb. When the reverb knob is dialed to zero, the amp sounds just fine. When I start notching up the reverb, there is this weird sound, almost like a chinese cymbal crashing, reverberating each time I pluck a string. It is more prominent on the bass strings of the guitar and when strumming a chord. I know this amp has a spring reverb as I hear the springs making a crashing sound when I move the amp. Here is the tube configuration:

TUBES

The ‘63 VIBROVERB tube complement consists of two

Fender Special Design 6L6WGC/5881’s (part number

039214), five Fender Special Design 12AX7A’s (part number

013341), and one Fender Special Design 12AT7 (part

number 023531).

Any ideas?

Did you check to make sure there is not a Chinese cymbal in there? B)

Guest HRB853370

Didn't have to remove the pan. I fired her up and everything is fine. Maybe when I had her laying her backside one of the springs got dislodged and is now back in place. No Dave, I checked for the china cymbal, nothing there.

Archived