Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Penta

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

140 watt amp? Just ridiculous to even consider. The days of using 100 watt amps are long gone. Serious overkill in all but large outdoor venues. Certainly not feasible in a home or rehearsal environment...

Depends on the circumstances. Like you said, if you were playing Pine Knob. wouldn't you want a 100+ watt amp? Its pretty cool looking too!

It's missing one major feature of modern amps, there's no efx loop.

I still have my Peavey Mace (his signature amp) which is approximately 35 years old now. It's the loudest amp I've ever heard at 160 watts.

Guest HRB853370

It's missing one major feature of modern amps, there's no efx loop.

I still have my Peavey Mace (his signature amp) which is approximately 35 years old now. It's the loudest amp I've ever heard at 160 watts.

Do you really? Those are quite collectible, so hang on to it!

It is possible to disagree whether or not high wattage amps are necessary. It really depends on what a player finds necessary for their sound. There is a BIG tonal difference I have found between a 100w amp and the 50w amp of the same model. Truly, there isn't much of a difference in apparent volume but, save for amps that stay clean almost at full volume, there is quite a difference in tone. Generally speaking, I prefer my high gain amps where I am leaning on preamp gain to have overly stout power stages (Peavey 5150 in the Normal input) just for the sake of giving the preamp stage a cleaner pass-through. Tends to get tighter and punchier. For the gainy amps where I like power tube grit, I like amps around the 20w area such as the Jet City JCA20H with the pre and post gain around 2 o'clock.

IIRC he used the Mace heads. When I bought mine the head did a crash & burn shortly after I got it and when I took it back all they had left was a combo so they gave that to me for the same price, it's THE heaviest amp I've ever had to lift.

140 watt amp? Just ridiculous to even consider. The days of using 100 watt amps are long gone. Serious overkill in all but large outdoor venues. Certainly not feasible in a home or rehearsal environment...

You are wrong. Stop spreading internet myths. ;)

Guest HRB853370

:laughing7: Quit picking on the man. I hear he really is DB Cooper hiding out in Detroit.

Helluva parachuter!! But if thats true, he would have the money to order that custom Heritage he wants so badly!

I thought he was really TAG from TGP... :P

:laughing4:

I seriously have to leave the internet. Ive got nothing positive to contribute. Im starting to sound like some of the grumpy old guys I used to work with.

I thought I new you from somewhere. I was grumpy old guy #2. We use to call you the "grumpy young guy". Behind you back of course :icon_smile:

Do your really need high wattage amps when you have the quality PA's that are available today? Just saying.

For volume? No. Tone? Could be.

For me? Maybe. It depends on what you are talking about. High gain? Yes. I generally prefer amps with an overly stout tube power section. I like the tone when most of it comes from a preamp.

If, by chance, I want something a bit 'looser' then I tend to want power tube break up. Then I want something much lower in power like the Jet City JCA20H.

For jazzier stuff, I can get away with about anything.

Alot of people like low wattage amps (most of mine are in the 18-22 range), but for some<br />strange reason, I've always liked the sound of 4 6L6 Twin Reverbs with pedal boards! If<br />they weren't so heavy that's what I would use for my electric gigs.

Guest HRB853370

Do your really need high wattage amps when you have the quality PA's that are available today? Just saying.

So is the reason that lower power amps are used on stage now because the PA amps are so much more powerful? I have to agree with you, if I can get a nice overdriven sound out of my 5E3 amp (18w) and place an SM57 in front and run it through a 1000 watt pa system, why not?

So is the reason that lower power amps are used on stage now because the PA amps are so much more powerful? I have to agree with you, if I can get a nice overdriven sound out of my 5E3 amp (18w) and place an SM57 in front and run it through a 1000 watt pa system, why not?

That is certainly a good reason to not lug around several power amps and walls of cabinets. An amps power has more to do with personal tonal taste than the actual power needed for volume.

One thing though, I will never have an issue being heard with a JC120 and 5150 in tow. I will also have the Cube 80x mic'd up as a back up.

I am in total agreement that we don't need the huge rigs for one player, but a few years back I was in a guitar shop here in England and they had a high quality 100 valve head and 4 x 12 cab all switched on and a beautiful Gretche plugged into it and no one was playing. I picked the gretsche up and played. Although the volume was not high, the amp and cab made the guitar sound fabulous. All that valve warmth, headroom and speakers gave you warm bass tones, clear and beautiful highs and clarity of mid range, In that sense, they can't be beaten. However, it is crazy to hump a 150 watt stack around and damage your ears.

Archived