Heritage Owners Club

Info request... Extension cab related

big bob

Well, here is the scoop so far.

I have asked Steve Carr and he recommends, with a 2x12 cab, eminence red white and blues @ 240 watts. He thinks they transmitt the low end best. I am now using 2 weber axis ceramic @ 200 watts. The axis are webers copy of the ceramic fane. The webers sound fine to me, very dynamic. I am hoping to try out a lower efficient/power setup soon.

It depends if you want the speaker to add some color or be transparent. Most often, cabs are twice the wattage of the amp, but in some cases the speaker helps with the tone. My Super Sonic is a 60 Watt with a 30 Watt Celestion. I think the amp sounds great.

which speaker is in it? A vintage 30? those are actually rated at 60 watts. I've been trying for years to figure out why they call them the vintage 30.

Anyway, usually you want the speaker to have the same rating or greater than the amplifier. If it is under rated, you can blow it up.

As for speaker coloration and breakup, usually those are best in speakers specifically designed for that purpose. The Celestion Greenbacks are designed to give a lot of coloration and breakup. They are only rated at 25 watts each, and should be used in a closed back cabinet.

That's another thing that is very important: cabinet construction. Some speakers are designed intended for closed back cabinets, and others for open backed. Some work both ways, but they will have different tonal profiles depending on the cabinet. Then you get into front and rear ported cabinets, which are not seen as often with guitar cabinets, but are seen all the time in PA and Bass amplifier cabinets.

for me, I'm usually an Eminence guy. I have eminence speakers in all of my carvin amplifiers, and also in an open back 2x12 I use with some amplifier heads. I find they give a clearer tone, and don't need to be driven so hard to get good sound.

which speaker is in it? A vintage 30? those are actually rated at 60 watts. I've been trying for years to figure out why they call them the vintage 30.

Anyway, usually you want the speaker to have the same rating or greater than the amplifier. If it is under rated, you can blow it up.

As for speaker coloration and breakup, usually those are best in speakers specifically designed for that purpose. The Celestion Greenbacks are designed to give a lot of coloration and breakup. They are only rated at 25 watts each, and should be used in a closed back cabinet.

That's another thing that is very important: cabinet construction. Some speakers are designed intended for closed back cabinets, and others for open backed. Some work both ways, but they will have different tonal profiles depending on the cabinet. Then you get into front and rear ported cabinets, which are not seen as often with guitar cabinets, but are seen all the time in PA and Bass amplifier cabinets.

for me, I'm usually an Eminence guy. I have eminence speakers in all of my carvin amplifiers, and also in an open back 2x12 I use with some amplifier heads. I find they give a clearer tone, and don't need to be driven so hard to get good sound.

I'm considering replacing the stock Jensens in my Liberty with two Eminence Cannabis Rex rated at 50 watts ea. From your knowledge of speakers/cab matching, do you see this as a good pairing for my 45 watt amp?

That's what I have. Always assumed it was a 30.

My Bassman is rated at 50 watts and drives 2 12 inch Jensens..(or maybe Utahs) I've never had the back off it..It has a gazillion screws in it and I am not really that curious..It sounds great though..

I'm considering replacing the stock Jensens in my Liberty with two Eminence Cannabis Rex rated at 50 watts ea. From your knowledge of speakers/cab matching, do you see this as a good pairing for my 45 watt amp?

Not really sure. I'm not super familiar with the cannabis rex speakers. What about the Jensen speakers do you want to change?

Archived