Heritage Owners Club

Princeton Tone

koula901

Ditto on all the comments that 'like' PRs. Had a '66, sold it, missed it, have a re-ish now. Both had 10" spkrs... I kinda like the 10" with that cab (I like the Deluxe's with the 12s and like those when extra vol needed).

Sorry if this is obvious - plug into the 'outside' jack for 'full' signal, the 'inside' jack for a reduced (amps not designed for overdrive, the outside intended for a single coil, weaker signal guitar with the inside for hums that hit the preamp harder). So if you want to drive it, plug into outside jack.

As it is, I'm not a big fan of overdriven PRs. Love the cleans!! Glorious and that's why I love 'em. Distorted sounds better served by different amp/circuits or pedals (imho)...

Good input, Randy, thanks! That's just it - glorious cleans. . . and I always wondered why there were 2 inputs on single channel Fender amps - that helps.

Some of the best dirty blues sounds I've ever heard came from a Blackfaced Princeton!

Check out Roadrunner from the Les Paul Forum playing a Les Paul straight into a Blackface Princeton

copping some serious blues dirt out of his Les Paul...

I have a Princeton Reverb re-ish. Keep swapping out speakers for slightly different tones. What a killer little grab-and-go!

Played one the other day and really liked it alot. Would have bought it if I hadn't just given in to amp blindness and bought a used Carr Rambler. When Guitar Center or MF runs a 15-20% promotion these Princeton reissues are hard to beat dollar for dollar and pound for pound. Same for DRRI.

I have a Vintage Sound Vibrolux clone. 2 10" speakers. 22 watts. Rick Hayes makes them with a "brown channel" and a super reverb channel.. Both channels have reverb and tremolo. Awesome sounding amps. Had Weber california speakers first then switch to hemp cone brownsound combo of one ceramic and one alnico..

With the different channels its like getting two amps in one..

I have a Vintage Sound Vibrolux clone. 2 10" speakers. 22 watts. Rick Hayes makes them with a "brown channel" and a super reverb channel.. Both channels have reverb and tremolo. Awesome sounding amps. Had Weber california speakers first then switch to hemp cone brownsound combo of one ceramic and one alnico..

With the different channels its like getting two amps in one..

Wow! That sounds super! I might like to do something like that!

This may sound overly simplistic, with my old Gibsonette amp which stays clean for the most part, I can just run a TS-9 (believe it or not) Or my modified overdrive in front of it..and it sounds great..I doesn't matter which guitar I use..It works with the Stratocaster, My Les Paul, or the H-137..Especially the 137..Those Lollars are nice..My 2 cents..

This may sound overly simplistic, with my old Gibsonette amp which stays clean for the most part, I can just run a TS-9 (believe it or not) Or my modified overdrive in front of it..and it sounds great..I doesn't matter which guitar I use..It works with the Stratocaster, My Les Paul, or the H-137..Especially the 137..Those Lollars are nice..My 2 cents..

Yes, a low gain tubescreamer works wonders before an amp. I use a BBE Green Screamer with the gain almost all the way off, or totally off. Fattens up single coils wonderfully while still remaining mostly clean.

@ koula ... you have a Blues Jnr don't you ? That's a great amp for pedals.

Yes, a low gain tubescreamer works wonders before an amp. I use a BBE Green Screamer with the gain almost all the way off, or totally off. Fattens up single coils wonderfully while still remaining mostly clean.

@ koula ... you have a Blues Jnr don't you ? That's a great amp for pedals.

Yeah, I got a BJ, it has a good character all it's own. I just happen to be mesmerized by the Princeton tone at the moment.

Played one the other day and really liked it alot. Would have bought it if I hadn't just given in to amp blindness and bought a used Carr Rambler. When Guitar Center or MF runs a 15-20% promotion these Princeton reissues are hard to beat dollar for dollar and pound for pound. Same for DRRI.

A Carr Rambler!! NICE!! Congrats !!

Yeah, I got a BJ, it has a good character all it's own. I just happen to be mesmerized by the Princeton tone at the moment.

I've been mesmerized by that tone since my first Princeton Reverb in 1976! The guy who works on my amps, and who knows more about

Fender amps than anyone I know, when recording, still prefers his blackface 65 PR to of his other amps (and he has almost every cool

vintage amp you can name)! And, although the clean tone is great on them, when you hit them with a humbuckered LP type guitar, they

distort in a glorius way!

To paraphrase, "What kink of amp do you need to play the blues, jazz, country, etc"? The one you have. I've been plugging my Eagle into a Music Man, Mesa, Carvin, and even my Super Champ XD. Good tones abound. The problem is always my playing and never the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

To paraphrase, "What kink of amp do you need to play the blues, jazz, country, etc"? The one you have. I've been plugging my Eagle into a Music Man, Mesa, Carvin, and even my Super Champ XD. Good tones abound. The problem is always my playing and never the amp.

Same problem I have LOL..I have great equipment..now if i would just learn how to use it!!

I own a Blackface Princeton, that was hotrodded to 50 watts. It has a 12" JBL speaker in it, causing me to have to put a spacer behind the baffle to make it clear the new transformers. This amp will never be a collector amp again, but it sure is fun to gig with. I get a lot of "W.T.F. is that thing?"

It gives really good clean fender sound, but will definately overdrive when cranked. It doesn't have a reverb ( after all, a Blackface ) so I use an E.H. Memory Man to give me a variety of echo, and by playing with the settings, I can almost get a reverb like sound. It takes pedals well, and will deliver just about anywhere I take it. I've owned Fender amps for many years, still have a drip edge Showman, miss my original Blackface Deluxe most of all, closely followed by my old Super Reverbs. I would recommend any of the older Fender tube amps for a true clean sound.

Our on Rob Slater demos a MegaTone Amp, 30 watts, based on Fender Princeton Reverb.

Uh...uh...uh.... Well...not real proud of that demo. Pretty noodly, one take just filly-farting around. The builder is a good friend of mine, becoming sort of famous for his harp amps. Dale will rebuild anything, and does wonders with old Masco PA amps. He's brilliant! He builds great variations on Fender blackface stuff, and Marshall Plexis. His shop is the place I've referenced, which has the wall of speakers, each in its own enclosure, each with a 1/4" jack, so you can A/B thirty or so speakers, with your amp. He calls it the Tone Lounge, an absolute den of iniquity. Dale works on all my stuff, and is very supportive of the local music scene. That amp was just purchased by the guitarist in the band I'd played in for four years, and from which I've recently...retired. The demo was recorded with a video camera, and it really doesn't do the amp justice. It is a monster!

i played my R9 thru my princeton clone last night. just equalizer in front of the amp, with a good dose of reverb. low gain, so uber clean. the shortcomings of my playing notwithstanding, the sonic experience was pretty nice.

i often favor my marshall clone, (pug reverb) for playing. last night's session reminded me of why the PR is held in high esteem and that variety is a nice problem to have.

Archived