Heritage Owners Club

Finally, pics of my '67 Deluxe Reverb (and her big Sis)...

Kuz

Here you go, better late than never....

WebLf_zps6b851778.jpg

I had a 1967 Dodge Coronet many years ago that was just about the same color as that tolex.

So now, any time that car comes up in any of my future stories, I'll tell people that the color of that car was "Vintage Tweed".

:laughing7:

Remember that the Axe-Fx has always been stated that it is sounding like MIC'D amps( you choose what mic you want to use and what speaker). So live in person, they would sound somewhat different. But if I mic'd the '67 DR with my Shure57 and recorded it, and the dialed up an Axe-Fx virtual DR with a virtual JBL K120 with a virtual Shure57 and recorded the same guitar lines with it..... I think it would be very had for those who listened to the clips to tell the difference.

The key is application; the Axe-Fx is so ease to use & sounds rediculusly good for recording. Real vintage amps are easier to plug in, change tone knobs & volume for live playing.

Funny thing is, one of my "go to" amps on the Axe-Fx is a virtual '65 Deluxe reverb with a JBL K120 speaker. It always sounded great and I never played through a REAL K120 speaker before through one of my amps. Now I do withis '67DR and this speaker sounds just as good in the real amp!!

Well it certainly sounds as though your having fun!

Rock on brother!

Kuz~ Congratulations on scoring a vintage classic amp. I even like the Armor All sheen. Now go get that lonely Silverface cousin.

Two reasons that won't happen:

1) I don't want redundency in tone, be it my guitars or amps, and other than the cosmetic silver face it is the exact same amp as my DR.

2) If I bought the '67 Silverface DR,.... Then these would be available from my divorce sale!! LOL

Beautiful Pair!! How do they compare tone-wise?

Scott, they sound similiar because they are blackface Fenders, but also very different.

-The Vibrolux Reverb sounds more like a 2x10 Twin- big, clean, tight, and chimey. When hit with an OD pedal, the ceramic speakers have a smooth slight breakup. I consider the '67 VR as the ultimate clean Blackface tone that is great for jazz, swing blues, ect.

-The '67 Deluxe Reverb with it's large magnet Alnico JBL can definitely do the Blackface clean tone but it is fatter and thicker. Hit it with an OD and you can go from smooth Larry Carlton/Robben Ford tones to Tom Petty gritty breakup to Black Keys to Joe Walsh James Gang tones.

I love both tones but have never used an Alnico speaker in a Fender Blackface before (I only used Alnicos in Tweed amps). I like the fatter thicker cleans of the JBL Alnico so much that I am saving up for a pair of Alnico Weber 10A150s for the Vibrolux Reverb!

Congratulations kuz on a gorgeous pair of amps!!

What do you need old junk like that for, when you have an axe FX ??

Haha. Seriously those are cool

I've had my eyes peeled for an old alnico jbl for some time now I think they're killer

Wow! Great, great, great amp and great speaker! Have a personal thang about the stuff that James Lansing had a hand in... I have four JBL D110's in a 1981 Fender (UL circuit) 70w silverface Super Reverb. I see that there are usually at any one time at least a couple what look to be decent JBL K110's on eBay. The prices are competitive with the weber units. The alnico JBL 10's I have do the fat tight clean "big" Fender amp tone very well. Bet those 10 inch K's will do those big cleans in the VR and more of what the amp is actually doing. I'd be surprised if the Weber units were more efficient watt for watt than the JBL K's reconed or originally equipped. Plenty of room in that amp's tone stack to adjust for guitar, speaker, and bias setting. For max clean headroom alone, I'd bet on the JBL's. Beauty of tone in ears of listener though. A brand new pair of Webers broken in might sound better than old JBL's with sagging spiders and surrounds caved in from time and lots of high wattage use...

Just got through mounting up and gigging first time a pair of barely used Altec 417C's from the 70's in an open back 2/12 last week...driven by Ceriatone 50w HRM, epic! Caused me to keep up my belief in the Lansing big voice coil club.

Nice..Thanks for the review..You had me looking on E-bay yesterday..But I'd have to sell some stuff that I'm not sure I want to part with yet!! :icon_smile:

Scott, they sound similiar because they are blackface Fenders, but also very different.

-The Vibrolux Reverb sounds more like a 2x10 Twin- big, clean, tight, and chimey. When hit with an OD pedal, the ceramic speakers have a smooth slight breakup. I consider the '67 VR as the ultimate clean Blackface tone that is great for jazz, swing blues, ect.
-The '67 Deluxe Reverb with it's large magnet Alnico JBL can definitely do the Blackface clean tone but it is fatter and thicker. Hit it with an OD and you can go from smooth Larry Carlton/Robben Ford tones to Tom Petty gritty breakup to Black Keys to Joe Walsh James Gang tones.

I love both tones but have never used an Alnico speaker in a Fender Blackface before (I only used Alnicos in Tweed amps). I like the fatter thicker cleans of the JBL Alnico so much that I am saving up for a pair of Alnico Weber 10A150s for the Vibrolux Reverb!

Archived