Heritage Owners Club

Harbinger powered speakers

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

Anybody heard or used these? I have a chance to get a pair of the APS12 (powered, 150w) with stands, pretty reasonable.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger...

Depends on what you're wanting them for, Will. Could make for an inexpensive "tops" or monitors if thats all thats in your budget. I just think (know?) there are better units out there than these. Even the guys in my local GC kinda chuckle at them. :dontknow:

I got myself some nice powered speakers a few years back. It's one of those things I decided not to cheap out on. I listened to a number of them (bring your own music), read all the reviews and ended up buying some RCF ART 310a's. At the time they were about $400/ea, now they're about $500. For me the next best choice was the Electro Voice ZXa1, which were actually about the same price, but a little smaller, and not as loud. The QSC k8's were also really nice sounding but more expensive still. For whatever reason the JBL EON's didn't do it for me, despite getting solid recommendations from some friends. To my ear (which is what it is..) I could really tell a huge difference between the speakers mentioned above and the cheaper ones (like Behringer, Mackie and Pyle, etc.) which tended to sound shrill on the high end, or flubby on the low end, or just badly balanced. So I decided to spend the extra $$ and get what I thought sounded good.

Why would you say that?

Bad cabinet design, weak amps, bad sound. Just another cheap guitar center house brand. When you have guitars as nice as yours Will they should go through a speaker cabinet as good as the rest of your equipment. One of my serious pet peeves is to see people spend good money on instruments, including microphones, and then amplify them with a crap PA! You see this kind of behaviour mostly on guitar forums. An example, somebody spends $4000 or more on a historic Les Paul, $2000 on a boutique amp, but then wants to cheap out and buy a little powered mixer and some cheap cabs. Most people would rather hear a good PA then a boutique guitar rig. It's taken me years to understand the importance of a quality PA rig, but now, I am a firm believer in that you sound like your PA! If you can't afford to buy good PA equipment, rent what you need until you can. You can sell one H150 and buy two very nice powered PA speakers! If you're gonna play to your bedroom mirror, a good PA isn't needed. If you're going to play for people that pay to see you, then it is absolutely needed, especially if you plan on doing it more than once!!! You know what they say about first impressions!

Guest HRB853370

Bad cabinet design, weak amps, bad sound. Just another cheap guitar center house brand. When you have guitars as nice as yours Will they should go through a speaker cabinet as good as the rest of your equipment. One of my serious pet peeves is to see people spend good money on instruments, including microphones, and then amplify them with a crap PA! You see this kind of behaviour mostly on guitar forums. An example, somebody spends $4000 or more on a historic Les Paul, $2000 on a boutique amp, but then wants to cheap out and buy a little powered mixer and some cheap cabs. Most people would rather hear a good PA then a boutique guitar rig. It's taken me years to understand the importance of a quality PA rig, but now, I am a firm believer in that you sound like your PA! If you can't afford to buy good PA equipment, rent what you need until you can. You can sell one H150 and buy two very nice powered PA speakers! If you're gonna play to your bedroom mirror, a good PA isn't needed. If you're going to play for people that pay to see you, then it is absolutely needed, especially if you plan on doing it more than once!!! You know what they say about first impressions!

I get it Rockabilly, makes good sense! Didn't realize they were store brand. Thanks man!

I think these are good comments. Not that this is an area I claim to be particularly experienced with, but a lot of "how good a speaker is" for you depends on what you want to do with it. At low to mid volumes for a mid sized room with 20-35 people my RCF 10" speakers can sound pretty awesome. They actually have a decent bass thump to them which often surprises people, but I chose them because they can make my acoustic guitar sound like... well.. an acoustic guitar. I can also plug in my ipad and play music through them and again they can sound really good. A bigger room, or more people however, and you're going to need a sub woofer to make up the balance. So that's why I thought I could get away with a good sounding 10" speaker rather than needing a 12" or 15". From what little I know, if you're going to play at low volume in front of 10-20 people then a cheaper speaker might work pretty well for you. A good EQ can make up for some deficiencies in the speakers. But when you're playing in front of larger crowds and larger venue's even a 15" speaker will be found very lacking. I decided not to chance it, and went with something more mid-range in price and with a sound I like, and that I could always beef up with a sub when I needed it.

Archived