Heritage Owners Club

Pro Co Limited Edition Reissue '85 Whiteface RAT

Just opened the box today with my brand new Pro Co Limited Edition Reissue '85 Whiteface RAT.

I had only recently learned about Rat pedals and thought that I would like to have one. But when it came to actually buying one, I discovered that there were a number of different versions to choose from. I read a lot of chatter online about which is better, the original ones or the new RAT 2 and so on and everyone says that the original ones are better. I learned that these pedals were made by a company called Pro CO, and THEN... I just happened to notice the other day that the address for Pro Co is the same address as the Heritage Guitar factory. Holy cow! Sure enough. Pro Co occupies a portion of the building. I did not know that.

Anyway, being undecided as to which Rat pedal I wanted to get, I had the idea to contact the company and ask them if they would build me a vintage original spec RAT pedal and I was prepared to pay twice what one of the new Rat pedals cost. Someone from Pro Co replied to my inquiry with an alternate suggestion (see below) and this is what led me to buy this brand new Limited Edition Reissue '85 Whiteface RAT.

Hi Danny,
Thank you for your interest in the Rat. We are currently at the end of a reissue of the 1985 era no LED Rat known as the Whiteface Rat. This product is an authentic reproduction of the original, using the discontinued LM308N chip sourced from surplus, the original 24mm pots, and same or direct cross to the rest of the parts used at the time.
We have customer orders for the final 300 pieces so, you will have to order it from a dealer. You will find it at Sonic Fiber in New Jersey and most likely at Sweetwater. There are no plans or spare components to build more of these or anything similar at this time. I suggest you grab one while you can.
I am glad that you are a fan of ProCo and our friends on the other side of the building. Great folks that make great guitars!!
let me know if you have any other questions.
Regards,
Bill Eaton
Tech Support Mngr
Pro Co Sound
225 Parsons St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

Tel: 800 253-7360 ext. 7118
Fax: 269 388-9681
Email: w-eaton@procosound.com
URL: www.procosound.com

Here is what the manufacturer says about it:

Spot-on Re-creation of a Legendary Pedal!

Love what the RAT pedal does for your guitar tones? Then you need to put this amazing limited stompbox underfoot! Pro Co takes you back to where it all started, with the Limited Edition Reissue '85 Whiteface RAT. That's right — it has the original graphics, the original chip, and the same original bulletproof construction as the '85 model. Go from warm, chunky rhythm tones to wailing, distorted lead sounds with three easy-to-use (and easy-to-reach) controls. The RAT is a legendary pedal, and the Limited Edition Reissue '85

Whiteface RAT brings it all back home!
While some reissues are simply retro paint jobs, the Limited Edition Reissue '85 Whiteface RAT is the real deal — inside and out! Pro Co packed this pedal's original '85 enclosure with the original electronics, so you know you're getting the genuine original RAT sound when you stomp it. Don't wait to get yours; the Limited Edition Reissue '85 Whiteface RAT is only available for a limited time!

post-679-0-09691000-1368918420_thumb.jpg

The original Rat pedal is my hands down favorite slide pedal. In the first song you can hear how it retains the sound of the Strat until you goose it with

a little volume. Listen to it around 1:26 and you can hear it perfectly. Then on the second song, listen how the chime of the P90's through the TopHats EL84's still shines through the dirt. That is one of the many things that I love about the original. I have two of them! I truely wonder if the new one sounds the same.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6629114 Acoustic Blues Song "Troubled Mind" from my first CD - 1985 Squire Strat with Alnico II pickups,

ProCo Rat, 1949 Chicago Webster 166 Amp.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6608365 Slide Lick on a Les Paul Special w Shed P90's, ProCo Rat, TopHat Club Royale

How do I get one Danny? I want a pedal made in Kalamazoo!!!!

Sweetwater has them on their website (I just ordered one). Was always telling myself I wanted to try one for myself. Well, I guess it's time.

Thanks Rob, I really love the Rat Pedal for slide guitar. As long as the gain isn't turned up to much it lets the tone of your

guitar and amp come through. And the P90's in that guitar were made by SHED. I think they are good as any 50's P90.

If I ever get a Heritage P90's Goldtop that's what will go in there.

Thanks Rob, I really love the Rat Pedal for slide guitar. As long as the gain isn't turned up to much it lets the tone of your

guitar and amp come through. And the P90's in that guitar were made by SHED. I think they are good as any 50's P90.

If I ever get a Heritage P90's Goldtop that's what will go in there.

I was considering ordering Throbak P-90s because (in my opinion) everything he makes is dead on vintage authentic.

Did you ever compare these SHED P-90s to Throbak P-90s?

Can you expand (web site maybe) for the SHED P-90s? Cost?

Thanks,

John

Yeah, I'm not much of OD/distortion pedal guy but I'm gonna have to snag one of these. I got a few friends that own originals but I've never spent time with them. They love 'em. I knew they were Kzoo but didn't realize they were the same building. I have a couple of their cables (mostly a Mogami guy though). It'd be cool if they opened for PSP too.

I was considering ordering Throbak P-90s because (in my opinion) everything he makes is dead on vintage authentic.

Did you ever compare these SHED P-90s to Throbak P-90s?

Can you expand (web site maybe) for the SHED P-90s? Cost?

Thanks,

John

Hey John, here's his limited website...

http://www.shedpickups.com/pickups.asp?pgtitle=Pickups

I've never compared Shed's to Throbaks, but have to vintage Gibsons, and they are very close including construction...

They really look and sound like the real deal (I have owned more than a few), look at the pics then google vintage images.

UnderTheHood.jpg

NiceBaseplates.jpg

VacuumFormed.jpg

Thanks Daniel for the link and pics.

I am not sure what I am going to do, probably give Jon at Throbak a shot at his P-90s first.

I ALSO ordered a Limited Edison 1985 Rat Pedal RI, just as a matter of principal..... being that they are in the same building as our boys and I have always wanted to try an original Rat pedal.

It should be here today!!!!

John,

I'm interested in the Throbak P90's too, so give us a report when you get them. A while back I posted that I wasn't a fan of the

Lollar P90's, and that's because I had installed them in a few guitars, and although they were fine sounding, they didn't sound

anything like my vintage P90's. They didn't have the bark so to say. I have a Les Paul Special that could use a good set of P90's,

and I was going to order some SHEDs, but with Throbak making them, I'll wait on your report.

As for the RAT pedal, if it's anything like the original, you'll like it. They are very organic sounding, especially at the low gain settings.

If I didn't have two originals, I would order one myself!!! The tone control (Filter) works in reverse order, you'll get a kick out of that:)

Daniel

Oh, cool thanks for the tip. I had my girl try to order one from Sweetwater today while I was at practice and they are sold out. Way to move some Kzoo product Hanger18. I guess I could call my Sweeteater rep just to be sure but $99.00 is $30 cheaper so off we go... If I decide it's not getting enough use I could probably break even at that price too. The originals on eBay right now are mostly in the $350-$450 range.

Oh, cool thanks for the tip. I had my girl try to order one from Sweetwater today while I was at practice and they are sold out. Way to move some Kzoo product Hanger18. I guess I could call my Sweeteater rep just to be sure but $99.00 is $30 cheaper so off we go... If I decide it's not getting enough use I could probably break even at that price too. The originals on eBay right now are mostly in the $350-$450 range.

I must have gotten one of the last ones from Sweetwater. I ordered mine yesterday morning!!!

I saw an actual original pedal not too long ago, used, on the used.guitarcenter.com listings. They were asking about $100.00 for it.

If the HOC has bought all of the remaining Limited Edition Reissue '85 Whiteface RAT pedals, that might be an option.

Archived