Heritage Owners Club

Monster Deluxe Reissue

The disclaimer: Yeah, I know, tone is subjective. That having been said, I have to file this report. I certainly wasn't looking. Not at all. But cruising through the "Non-Heritage Goods For Sale" section last week, I noticed that knopfler74, Matt, had a Deluxe re-ish for sale, at a "can't let that get away" price. I've dealt with Matt before, straight arrow, and you know what you're getting from him. In this case, a stock, nearly new, Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue. The only change, some TAD 6L6's. Came Monday. Everything in one piece. To be honest, I bought it to flip, something I never do. I have a Princeton reissue, and a '67 Bassman...got the Fender thing covered. So I unpacked it, and fired it up, with the Tele. I've played through Deluxes a million times, but never owned one. Well it did sound predictably good with the stock Italian Jensen...everything one would expect. I noodled a bit. Then, on a whim, ran the guitar through only my Xotic EP boost, which makes everything sound better. And yes, it did! Don't know why, I've never done it with a Fender before, but I decided to jumper the channels. So...Tele, EP boost, into a Deluxe reissue, jumpered. And there it was!!! Guitar into the reverb channel, volume on "3," and the other channel on "8." Just fabulous overdriven breakup of the type I've only approximated with a variety of pedals! I have to wind the Baassman up to "4" or "5" to get this tone, and that's a level I find too loud, even with a band. Granted, the Deluxe was moving some air, but I suspect it'd be just about right with a band. Get out of the guitar, and, as you'd expect, it settles down and cleans up just right. Twiddling knobs made some weird things happen. Turning the reverb channel down didn't reduce the volume much at all, but it did make the reverb go away. Moving either volume knob, particularly the non-reverb channel, effects bass response. So "the sweet spot" is fairly narrow for me. But in it, I've found the exceptional aggressive blues tone, at non-earbleed volume, that has proven very, very elusive. And as good as the Tele sounded, the 535...good lord!

Yeah, Kenny...I do that on the 5E3 (which I really want to run in tandem with this thing, but haven't yet). Just never on blackface Fenders. One of those things, I guess.

Yeah, Kenny...I do that on the 5E3 (which I really want to run in tandem with this thing, but haven't yet). Just never on blackface Fenders. One of those things, I guess.

Okie doke. You just had me wondering, as the Tweed 5E3 clone is a Fender, at heart. I sometimes miss it. But then I crank up the Tweed Super and all is well. :)

Apparently not, Jeff....

Yes evidently :) your op would have not been so enthusiastic if there were phase issues I guess.

If you set the volumes on each side the same there might be a more noticeable phase thing going on.

I suppose then, that phase issues are what I'm hearing as I change the two volume knobs, relative to each other. The "sweet spot" I mentioned is pretty narrow. Either side of it, things thin out unpleasantly. I know from nuts about things electrical....

Weird. I thought the channels on black face Fenders were out of phase with each other so that jumpering would yield a weak, thin, nasal, honky tone. Did they fix/change that with the RIs?

Its how you set the volume level on each channel. Unity will put them 100% out of phase(my understanding, so.....ya know, might be wrong).

Rob has one set at 8 and one at 3 so the phasing wont be a problem or if it is happening its yielding a pleasant result and therefore not a problem.

What is this jumering stuff? I just plug in one channel and play.

Can someone give me idiot-proof instructions...and any concerns about doing this?

What amps do you have?

H~My two channel amps are: SF Deluxe Reverb; Concert and Blues Deluxe.

All of the others are single channel, so I'm guessing jumpering is not an option. (?)

Yep, you're correct in your second statement :)

This assumes you have two inputs (jack sockets) per channel. Use a short piece of cable - I use the type that joins effect pedals together - and put one end into the channel one jack and the other into the channel two jack. Plug your guitar into the remaining jack of whichever channel you prefer. As Rob found above, your DR will need the volume of one channel to be fairly high and the other fairly low: play around with the volumes to get different tones :)

Your Blues Deluxe and Concert don't have enough inputs (jack sockets) per channel to jumper them.

Be prepared to find some great new sounds :)

Yep, you're correct in your second statement :)

This assumes you have two inputs (jack sockets) per channel. Use a short piece of cable - I use the type that joins effect pedals together - and put one end into the channel one jack and the other into the channel two jack. Plug your guitar into the remaining jack of whichever channel you prefer. As Rob found above, your DR will need the volume of one channel to be fairly high and the other fairly low: play around with the volumes to get different tones :)

Your Blues Deluxe and Concert don't have enough inputs (jack sockets) per channel to jumper them.

Be prepared to find some great new sounds :)

THANKS HOWARD!

I'll try this on the DR. Looking for forward to some sweet tones!

Archived