Heritage Owners Club

Custom Heritage Idea

Ryan

Hi,

I've been out of the Heritage guitar game since I sold my 150 about a year ago. My Gadow Custom Hollow and strat have been keeping me pretty satisfied for quite a while now but I'm starting to get GAS for another electric guitar. Trey Anastasio has become one of my favorite guitarists over the past couple years and I'd really like a guitar similar to a Languedoc. The most important specs are:

-fully hollow

-small bodied

-25.5" scale

There are other custom builders making guitars like this but most are either far too expensive or too much of a Languedoc knock-off. I'm not looking to emulate Trey, I just like the overall idea of his guitar and setup. I want something that is relatively affordable and my own, which is why I decided Heritage is probably my best option. I have a few things I'm unsure of and I'd like to get input from you guys.

I know a couple of members here have custom ordered hollow Prospects, and I spoke with one who said Heritage will also do hollow Millenniums. How does the upper fret access compare on a Prospect vs a Millie (SC or DC)? I like the smaller size and the idea of having solid woods in the Millie, but if the upper fret access is better in the Prospect I may order that instead.

I'm not sure which dealer I'd order through, but my default would be Wolfe because they're really all I'm familiar with. Anyone have other suggestions? Also, for those of you that have ordered custom guitars from Heritage, what would I be looking at as far as build time?

This is similar to the spec list I'd be sending to the dealer. *** Marks things I'm not really set on.

-Prospect or Millennium

-fully hollow

-25.5" scale

-a darker trans blue, like this 530 (http://www.gbase.com/gear/heritage-h-530-2011-translucent-blue)

-bridge and neck pickups each moved 1/4" toward the middle

-Medium/Thick neck with a rounded C-shape

-still unsure of inlays

-no pickguard

-strap button on upper horn instead of heel***

-maple neck***

-ebony fretboard***

-bound headstock***

-Lollar Imperials***

-coil tapping***

-thicker body (maybe 2 1/4"?)***

If some of these extras add too much to the price I may not order them. Ideally, I'm looking to spend less than $2500. One member said he got his custom hollow Prospect for $2300, so I'm hopeful that it can be done. If anyone has input or suggestions, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Ryan, welcome to the HoC. And ... welcome back, perhaps to Heritage Guitars. Everything you have listed ... we've seen done. Maybe not all on the same guitar, but somewhere.

Access -- I have both a Prospect Custom and a Millie DC Custom. Upper access is similar, if not the same. Absolutely NO trouble getting up on the weedle weedle frets!

Price -- Your dealer will have to help you there. I've used Bob at Mojo Music in Edwardsville, IL for all of my new Heritages. Bob has never let me down. But then, I'd have my specs approved and knew the boys in the 'zoo would build it like I wanted.

My suggestion, if you don't use Wolfe, or even if you do, is to call Heritage Mon - Thurs, early in the morning. Tell whoever answers you have questions about a custom build, can you talk to either Ren or Marv. Mention you're an HOC member. Tell them the specs. They'll either say yes, no or make suggestions. Then you just tell your dealer of choice you've spoken to the boys and here's your approved specs. Be sure you have the dealer tell Heritage its for an HOC member. Get your order on and ............... wait. Times can be from 3 months on. Altho' I always have to brag and say I have the quickest custom order. 30 days from placing the order to my front door. But, you won't see that, most likely.

I've said it before, but will repeat my opinion about the new Millenium Pro pictured above...

THAT IS THE BEST DESIGN TO COME OUT OF KALAMAZOO IN YEARS!

Put a photo of that instrument in Guitar Player Magazine or other industry mag., and orders will come flying in from dealers and potential buyers!!

I've said it before, but will repeat my opinion about the new Millenium Pro pictured above...

THAT IS THE BEST DESIGN TO COME OUT OF KALAMAZOO IN YEARS!

Put a photo of that instrument in Guitar Player Magazine or other industry mag., and orders will come flying in from dealers and potential buyers!!

+1

I wish I had known about this one when I placed the custom order for my Millennium. Maybe I need another one.

Thanks for the replies. I'll gather my funds and probably give the guys at Heritage a call. Quick question: what is the purpose of mentioning you're an HOC member? Are they more flexible with options or price with HOC members?

That florentine is lovely. I'm not sure whether I'd order that, the standard cutaway or the DC.

Thanks,

Ryan

They know and respect us here at the HOC. They graciously allow us to invade the factory every August. And they personally know several of the members. They may or may not do things for HOC members that they won't do for others. But if you make them aware that you were referred to call them from here, they are likely to at least listen to your ideas. It can't hurt.

It especially helps for the dealer to mention it's for an HOC member. The dealer will get better pricing, knowing it's a sold unit for an HOC'er. And hopefully your dealer will pass it on to you.

check out the Millenium Pro...that's what I would do. it was Jim's idea to use the florentine, I think:

IMG_0545.JPG

Beautiful guitar!

I'm throwing around an idea for a similar guitar.

Dark Wine Burst

Florentine Cutout

One F Hole

• 3 weeks later...

After having a few different guitars I think I would like to combine my favourite aspects into one.

So I would start with a Golden Eagle, Natural finish and the used to be standard Gold tailpiece that says Heritage and no "H" or Ebony in the center. Gold minibucker floating pickup. I would like the input jack to be on the side like the H 575 and not in the end pin, and a thumbwheel on a black plastic L7 pickguard with White binding. I also like the black tuners over the gold.

that is it I think.

or I could just the Eagle 18" as is:

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/gallery/image/1305-eagle-18-rhythmn/

check out the Millenium Pro...that's what I would do. it was Jim's idea to use the florentine, I think:

IMG_0545.JPG

I wonder if they could make me a 535 like this, single cut with a florentine... without it doubling the price of the guitar.

flori

I would imagine there might be an upcharge for the florentine cut, and, didn't someone mention in another thread that they don't make them anymore, because it takes a lot of labor to make that.

Actually the 576 was a single cut version of the 535 with a deeper body.

The Academy Custom was a single cut version of the Prospect, so an Academy with florentine cutaway would be closest to a Millie Pro with florentine cutaway.And it would be semi hollow as opposed to semi solid construction.

I want to take issue with something here, both in the interest of helping Ryan as he determines direction, and informing me.

How can there be such thing as a "Fully Hollow" Millenium? The whole idea with the Millies is that it's a milled out solid wood frame, sandwiched between the top and back, with the possibility of f-holes, or not, on the guitar's top.

Since it's already simply a frame....what would be altered to achieve "full hollow" status?

Millie gut shot....

imagesqtbnANd9GcSJbfkrohCWB2GyvQoBgjqTac

Wouldn't that be the older version of the Roy Clark model, but with a florentine cutaway ?

I don't know if the specifications have changed over time or not but a Roy Clark would be what myself and some others would call a full hollow body as opposed to the 535 which is a semi-hollow body so that would be the biggest difference I suppose.

I want to take issue with something here, both in the interest of helping Ryan as he determines direction, and informing me.

How can there be such thing as a "Fully Hollow" Millenium? The whole idea with the Millies is that it's a milled out solid wood frame, sandwiched between the top and back, with the possibility of f-holes, or not, on the guitar's top.

Since it's already simply a frame....what would be altered to achieve "full hollow" status?

Millie gut shot....

imagesqtbnANd9GcSJbfkrohCWB2GyvQoBgjqTac

I use the term "full hollow body" to mean that there is empty space from one F-Hole to the other as opposed to a semi hollow body which has two separate air chambers (for lack of a better term) which are not connected as a result of the solid center piece of wood running down the center of the body, and thus the term, "semi hollow body". So to me, in my layman's understanding of these guitars, the term "full hollow body" makes no reference to whether the top piece of wood is carved laminated or is the sides are formed from bending very thin wood into shape or carving it out from a solid billet of wood. Of course, I am no authority on the subject, but that's just what I mean should I use that term at present.

I use the term "full hollow body" to mean that there is empty space from one F-Hole to the other as opposed to a semi hollow body which has two separate air chambers (for lack of a better term) which are not connected as a result of the solid center piece of wood running down the center of the body, and thus the term, "semi hollow body". So to me, in my layman's understanding of these guitars, the term "full hollow body" makes no reference to whether the top piece of wood is carved laminated or is the sides are formed from bending very thin wood into shape or carving it out from a solid billet of wood. Of course, I am no authority on the subject, but that's just what I mean should I use that term at present.

I agree with you...which is why I ask. By my understanding the Millie is "full hollow" by default, although a more robust variation of full hollow than it's bentwood-rimmed brethren....so to refer to the original post that "Heritage will make a full hollow Millie"...why yes, they will. That's the only way a Millie is a Millie unless I'm mistaken.

I agree with you...which is why I ask. By my understanding the Millie is "full hollow" by default, although a more robust variation of full hollow than it's bentwood-rimmed brethren....so to refer to the original post that "Heritage will make a full hollow Millie"...why yes, they will. That's the only way a Millie is a Millie unless I'm mistaken.

Not all Millies are constructed the same way, early ones had an arched back with no rear access panel, like a 535.

Perhaps one made that way could be fully hollow ?

bolero, I still need to see Phish or the TAB. Trey is toward the top of my list of musicians to see live.

By "fully hollow" I mean that there is no block under the bridge of the guitar. The only way I want the top and back to be connected is by the very outer rim of the guitar, allowing the top to vibrate as freely as possible. I suppose another way to describe what I want would be "100% chambered." It's not all that important to me whether the sides are bent or milled from a solid block of wood.

This guitar is along the lines of what I'm looking for: http://equatorinstruments.com/palmodel.html

I've also been wondering whether Heritage would do a floating bridge with this guitar. Not super important to me, but I think it would be a cool touch.

I haven't placed my order or even asked Heritage/a dealer about the build. Still gathering funds and playing around with ideas. Of course, I'm open to more suggestions.

Thanks,

Ryan

Archived