Heritage Owners Club

Amp Stand

At a jam session last weekend, I put my little Blues Jr. up on an amp stand - which I think *really* makes a difference. I think I had the volume only up to about 2 or 3, and I was playing with a drummer and bass player, and it was plenty loud. I think tilting it upwards at an angle does the trick.

Anyone else here use an amp stand (or whatever the proper name of it is) and, if so, what brand name do you use? I'd like to buy my own.

I have been using one for a couple of years now. I use it stage right from me and not pointed out to the crowd. I run out of the slave jack to the house mixer. Much better control of sound levels. When you have 3 guitar players levels are important. I use a Onstage rs7000.

I have three of the type Mars showed but the one I use for my small combo I use with the extension arms removed so the amp is tilted but still on the floor.

003-7.jpg

So, do you feel you're preserving the bottom end by having it on the floor?

Perhaps they should create amp stands that have a sort of floor/or board on them to preserve the bass end of the tonal spectrum.

Perhaps they should create amp stands that have a sort of floor/or board on them to preserve the bass end of the tonal spectrum.

There are amp stands like that, if I remember correctly LK155, Lyle, has posted pics of his.

Yes it most definitely helps the bottom end and when folded up is very light and easy to transport. Plus there's the fact that you retain the open sound an open back cab provides rather than blocking off the back of the cab with one of the folded horn type stands. To keep from scratching the paint on the amp chassis I simply used weather stripping with a self adhesive strip and stuck it to the face of the uprights on the stand.

Yes it most definitely helps the bottom end and when folded up is very light and easy to transport. Plus there's the fact that you retain the open sound an open back cab provides rather than blocking off the back of the cab with one of the folded horn type stands. To keep from scratching the paint on the amp chassis I simply used weather stripping with a self adhesive strip and stuck it to the face of the uprights on the stand.

great feedback - I wasn't even considering the back end,which my Blue Jr has.

I have several stands, of various heights and configurations, but, if I know chairs are available, then, like Tsp17, a chair is my stand of choice. (If our milk or beer came in anything as classy as bobmeyrick pictured, I'd be there.)

It is true that an amp has more bottom end on the floor, but, I'm not sure that is always a good thing. (At least in the sort of music I've tended to play). Certainly the most important role of an amp stand is getting the amp closer to, and more directed towards, your ears rather than the back of your legs, but decoupling the cab from the floor focuses the sound and increases separation in a band mix, out of the way of the bass player and the kick and the keyboard player's left hand. (and the bari and 'bones, if you have horns.)

The whole coupling idea became particularly clear to me when I was playing bass full time. Sometimes my rig sounded better on the floor, sometimes a lot better if I left the wheels on the cab so it was not coupled with the stage. I found bass sound to be much more influenced by rooms than anything I'd noticed with guitar, and made me much more aware. (Standing waves in room corner setups could sometimes make the bass almost disappear. Very strange phenomenon.) Unfortunately, it seems set up and sound check are always rushed, so, you make a best guess and seldom get to really move things around to test the options.

It is true that an amp has more bottom end on the floor, but, I'm not sure that is always a good thing. (At least in the sort of music I've tended to play). Certainly the most important role of an amp stand is getting the amp closer to, and more directed towards, your ears rather than the back of your legs, but decoupling the cab from the floor focuses the sound and increases separation in a band mix, out of the way of the bass player and the kick and the keyboard player's left hand. (and the bari and 'bones, if you have horns.)

it seems set up and sound check are always rushed, so, you make a best guess and seldom get to really move things around to test the options.

Absolutely concur, Larry. "...sound check.."? I've heard fireside tales of those....

I will have a sound enhancer at PSP anyone is welcome to try out, it looks like this:

Enhancer.jpg

I've never seen anyone use a Sound Enhancer with a Champ!!

Isn't that a sonic oxymoron? :icon_scratch:

But seriously, I'd love to try one of those contraptions.

I went with the Onstage 7000 for my Patriot. It did two things that were really desirable, it gets the sound up so I can hear it, (since my ears aren't near my knees) and it kept the bass from getting too much bloom.

I tend to play more quietly since I can really hear what I'm playing.

I have a Mesa single rectifier combo. For me the added benefit would be a better access to the knobs. It drives me crazy that the knob are on the front instead of being on top

I went with the Onstage 7000 for my Patriot. It did two things that were really desirable, it gets the sound up so I can hear it, (since my ears aren't near my knees) and it kept the bass from getting too much bloom.

I tend to play more quietly since I can really hear what I'm playing.

+1 to all of this. Plus I agree that to much bass response and you are lost in the band's mix.

I used to put mine on the floor, pointed at my knees. Thought that sounded good. Then, for some reason, we started using the drummers gig kit boxes. Really works well. I think it looks kinda cool, too. I think you can see them in this picture. Which is really a thinly disguised excuse to post another pic of the winery gig.

Fahrmeier_Winery65.jpg

Archived