Heritage Owners Club

Is there an amp Highlander?

Guest HRB853370

For me, the fun is in the time once spent over what power cord best enhances the tone of a stubby pick being rather spent on mastering movement through chords or spending months on a single tune dissecting it for total understanding. Last night, I must have spent 45 minutes going back and forth from a D-7 drop 3 third inversion to an A7 drop 3 first inversion to get the transitional sound between those two chords where I want it. Granted, I traded fussing over gear for fussing over playing but I am getting more fulfillment out of that. Just my path is all. Everyone has to find their own.

This is my eventual goal... But GAS always seems to rear its head. Sometimes I get the urge to sell all the pedals I own and just use the amps and the natural tones of the guitar, but then I cant ever bring myself to actually do it. I always think, they sound so freaking cool, and if I play a certain song I may one-day need that stomp box I haven't used at all. I envy you. Reading your post makes me want to sell most of my pedals for guitar lessons...

This is my eventual goal... But GAS always seems to rear its head. Sometimes I get the urge to sell all the pedals I own and just use the amps and the natural tones of the guitar, but then I cant ever bring myself to actually do it. I always think, they sound so freaking cool, and if I play a certain song I may one-day need that stomp box I haven't used at all. I envy you. Reading your post makes me want to sell most of my pedals for guitar lessons...

FWIW, I didn't get here overnight. I also fought with that 'what if I need it' question. The reality is I haven't played a gig in YEARS and I won't likely NEED two guitars let alone five. A number of the items in my signature are now gone. I will update it once the paring down is done.

So, I am finally working my way down in gear with only a few pieces left to go and, while I still eye-ball gear, I am so busy playing, that I am not worrying about how I am going to get 'whatever it is'. That, and I just want to get very, very comfortable with one guitar. So, there isn't that getting accustomed to a different guitar neck all the time when I am just getting the hang of a certain grip. That seems to drag the process out.

FWIW, I didn't get here overnight. I also fought with that 'what if I need it' question. The reality is I haven't played a gig in YEARS and I won't likely NEED two guitars let alone five. A number of the items in my signature are now gone. I will update it once the paring down is done.

So, I am finally working my way down in gear with only a few pieces left to go and, while I still eye-ball gear, I am so busy playing, that I am not worrying about how I am going to get 'whatever it is'. That, and I just want to get very, very comfortable with one guitar. So, there isn't that getting accustomed to a different guitar neck all the time when I am just getting the hang of a certain grip. That seems to drag the process out.

Yea, I really enjoy the four I have now... Downsized from seven! I know I could never get to one guitar one amp. The four that I have now I am very attached to for different reasons, sentimental and otherwise, plus they are all American. But more importantly all of them give me an incredible feeling when I play them play them that I have a tough time describing. The four I sold didn't! All four play very similarly with slim necks and there is not much adjustment switching from one to another. The only one that feels different is the Ovation 12 string, because it's a 12 string.

Ps. I just looked at a pic of all my pedals, and you inspired me to sell two of them. All the others I actually do use frequently! I feel slightly better now =)

Great post Slammer!

Yea, I really enjoy the four I have now... Downsized from seven! I know I could never get to one guitar one amp. The four that I have now I am very attached to for different reasons, sentimental and otherwise, plus they are all American. But more importantly all of them give me an incredible feeling when I play them play them that I have a tough time describing. The four I sold didn't! All four play very similarly with slim necks and there is not much adjustment switching from one to another. The only one that feels different is the Ovation 12 string, because it's a 12 string.

Ps. I just looked at a pic of all my pedals, and you inspired me to sell two of them. All the others I actually do use frequently! I feel slightly better now =)

Great post Slammer!

Well, that is why the acoustic of mine is staying. It was a gift from my father-in-law and he had it for years previous. I am keeping that one in the family to go down to his grandson. There is a guitar in my future as a family member makes guitars and I want to get a special build from him before he retires. Can't say when that will be and not terribly worried about it either. Just something I know I will have to do in the next few years.

Great post Slammer!

I get a great feeling of empowerment as I downsize on pedals. I think less is more.

By the way, those Gries amps, from what I have heard, sound great! :)

You have heard correct! Last amp I will ever buy! Amazing quality craftsmanship, hand-built to order, point to point wiring, and TONE for days, but still able to play at bedroom levels thanks to the incredibly transparent master volume. Its funny, I just resurrected an old thread an hour ago about Gries amps because I believe that everyone should take a look if they are considering Blackface amps. A lot of people are nervous because thats a lot of dough to buy something that is difficult, if not impossible to try out first. I bought mine sight unseen and have never looked back!! Never even got buyers remorse for one second.

You have heard correct! Last amp I will ever buy! Amazing quality craftsmanship, hand-built to order, point to point wiring, and TONE for days, but still able to play at bedroom levels thanks to the incredibly transparent master volume. Its funny, I just resurrected an old thread an hour ago about Gries amps because I believe that everyone should take a look if they are considering Blackface amps. A lot of people are nervous because thats a lot of dough to buy something that is difficult, if not impossible to try out first. I bought mine sight unseen and have never looked back!! Never even got buyers remorse for one second.

Sweet! Always a good thing when someone finds an amp they truly bond with.

For me, the fun is in the time once spent over what power cord best enhances the tone of a stubby pick being rather spent on mastering movement through chords or spending months on a single tune dissecting it for total understanding. Last night, I must have spent 45 minutes going back and forth from a D-7 drop 3 third inversion to an A7 drop 3 first inversion to get the transitional sound between those two chords where I want it. Granted, I traded fussing over gear for fussing over playing but I am getting more fulfillment out of that. Just my path is all. Everyone has to find their own.

Who says you can't fuss over both? I'm a very fussy person...

The only amp I'm using at the moment is the Cube 80XL. The others, Laney TT50, Vox AC30CC, Fender Blues Jnr and SCXD haven't been used for quite some time.

The Roland took a little getting used to as it EQs way different to the other amps but I use it all the time now. I connect my tablet pc via the aux in and use iRealb and drum loop software and it becomes an 80w pa.

To answer the original question, I believe there is one amp that "could" do it all....

A blackface Fender (my choice would be my '67 Deluxe Reverb) and some pedals. It would give you...

-the best cleans

-a great platform for pedals

-and a couple of OD/Distortion pedals could take you from blues to fusion to rock to punk to almost heavy metal

No Vox love? There is no better Beatles sound than a P-90 through an AC15 or 30

The only amp I'm using at the moment is the Cube 80XL. The others, Laney TT50, Vox AC30CC, Fender Blues Jnr and SCXD haven't been used for quite some time.

The Roland took a little getting used to as it EQs way different to the other amps but I use it all the time now. I connect my tablet pc via the aux in and use iRealb and drum loop software and it becomes an 80w pa.

It is a top notch amp. Truly is.

It is a top notch amp. Truly is.

Definitely. And unlike the Cube 30x with 10" speaker that I had previously the 80XL with 12" speaker loves semi hollow and hollow guitars. Plus I don't need to use any pedals with it, no TS or RC Booster to fatten up single coils etc. Just plug in and play.

Definitely. And unlike the Cube 30x with 10" speaker that I had previously the 80XL with 12" speaker loves semi hollow and hollow guitars. Plus I don't need to use any pedals with it, no TS or RC Booster to fatten up single coils etc. Just plug in and play.

Yup. Now, my favorite tone with my 575 comes from the 5w setting on the Clean channel of a Mesa Express. BUT.... the Cube 80x I would take anywhere and play in front of anyone and not feel a bit like I am not bringing my A game.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer the original question, I believe there is one amp that "could" do it all....

A blackface Fender (my choice would be my '67 Deluxe Reverb) and some pedals. It would give you...

-the best cleans

-a great platform for pedals

-and a couple of OD/Distortion pedals could take you from blues to fusion to rock to punk to almost heavy metal

+1

That, or a Guytron GT100 FV

Archived