Heritage Owners Club

Line 6 Challenge

gpuma

I think it's fun.

my 0.02: some of the sounds are so close (especially the crunchies) that when you are playing with a band the difference would not be noticeable.

There is one, however, that is still is miles away

Have fun

The variax really doesnt have any presence or real sweet mids does it.

Even with gain it was pretty evident what was what and thats even with yt sound degradation which I think usually levels everything!

• 2 weeks later...

The same is true with their amps..I had a flextone II that I played in a Hard Rock Band..The overdrives and distortions were stellar, but the cleans were very sterile IMO..

I thought so too until I heard Jim Soloway through his PodHD for jazz really is impressive. Granted, it isn't an amp, but still changed my thoughts on line 6. I still won't get one as I have just never gotten along with them despite how much I've tried. I owned every, and I mean EVERY, Pod version previous to the HD. I finally called or a day. Maybe I called it too soon and I would have loved the new PodHD into a powered cab. But...I just got tired of spending money on something only to be disappointed. Just having an amp suits my needs better these days.

The same is true with their amps..I had a flextone II that I played in a Hard Rock Band..The overdrives and distortions were stellar, but the cleans were very sterile IMO..

I thought the Variax was "woofy" on just about every model except the acoustic. The acoustic comparsion wasn't really fair, doing a piezo equiped Yamaha vs a simulated D28 Martin . The Variax just sounded strident on their acoustic, and the Yamaha didn't really blow me away either. Neither sounded like a Martin to me.

Now, as to whether the Variax can be successfully used in a live gig situation and simulate the various guitars, just look at John McFee of the Doobies. He uses one for almost the whole concert, and that means he doesn't need to worry about changing instruments, going out of tune, or retuning. You want Drop D? Change the switch. Want a Les Paul? Turn the knob. You aren't going to sound "like the record" anyway in a big room with different acoustics or an outdoor stadium and everything mic'ed up through a PA system.

Archived