Heritage Owners Club

NAD: Peavey Bandit 112

schundog

Davesultra had a couple amps on the cheap for sale at PSP, and I picked up his 90s era Peavey Bandit 112 for a great deal. Yeah, Yeah, dis 'em all you want, the things are indestructible and sound pretty good. Did I need it?! Um, no, but again, I hate to pass up a deal. Here it is, and then a picture next to ANOTHER Peavey amp I didn't need but really dig, my Peavey Renown.

100_0826_zps45f45972.jpg

100_0827_zpsf798072e.jpg

I have a red stripe Bandit 112 and I love it. Great tone and while it is a SS amp, it sounds pretty darn good. I also had a renown but it had two worn out speakers so it farted out if you cranked it up. I still traded it for a Epi 335. I think you have good taste in SS amps. :)

Seemed like a good amp to me. What's it weight?

The online manual says 40 lbs, Josh, but I don't know which of the 12 or 13 versions (I AM exaggerating a bit..) they are referring to, and I'm not lugging the bathroom scale downstairs to check, so, yeah, 40 lbs.... :laughing7:

I would say that the older models were probably built a bit more ruggedly; sturdier knobs, more durable tolex,etc, but I can't speak to reliability being any better. I've had the red stripe bandit, the earliest Bandit, and now this 2nd generation one. I'm guessing they made a lot more of these earlier ones than the later versions like those that are out now simply because there wasn't the glut of decent sounding amps on the cheap back then like there is now. The fact that the model has survived the revival of tube amps AND the light year advances in digital modeling technology is a tribute to the Bandit's reputation as a solid, dependable workhorse. Oh, and when did NEED ever enter the conversation?! :laughing7:

Had a Bandit once. Indestructible little bugger. Great as a grab and go amp for jams, etc. Not sure I'd ever gig it. But still wouldn't mind having one at home. Nice grab there, Brain.

I have one of the first issue Bandit 1x12s with Transtube. With a BBE Tube Screamer in front of it, it sounds pretty damn good in "The Basement Club". Getting the various knobs dialed in wasn't too terribly time consuming. I have it to the point right now where the guitar volume determines the ultimate character of the tone through a decent spectrum ranging from just a little dirty with break up when I really dig on all the way to ear splitting, near white noise at all times.

Not a Dumble, and Tag probably hates them, but you can't beat the value for money paid, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That one was actually a late '92 model. :D

I used to own Peavey in the 80's and one of the guitar players I jammed with back then has a super loud (2x12"?) combo amp. It seemed like averyone in the 80's had a Peavey.

But I swore off Peavey as a brand when a brand new set of PA speakers I had would spark and smoke when you turned up the volume a little bit.

I wound up trading in that PA system to a GC for a guitar or something.

I used to own Peavey in the 80's and one of the guitar players I jammed with back then has a super loud (2x12"?) combo amp. It seemed like averyone in the 80's had a Peavey.

But I swore off Peavey as a brand when a brand new set of PA speakers I had would spark and smoke when you turned up the volume a little bit.

I wound up trading in that PA system to a GC for a guitar or something.

I, as well used a lot of Peavey stuff in the late '80s early '90s. I think the appeal was not so much that it was great sounding, but that it was inexpensive and plentiful. I believe that much of the rap surrounding them regarding their "bad" sound was really more related to me not knowing how to dial in decent sounds as a young guitarist.

Pre Transtube?

Technically, Yes. However, my understanding from a reputable authorized Peavey repair tech was that, there really is not much difference in the circuitry. At one point I had one of the red stripe Transtube Studio Pro 112 amps, and they did sound very similar.

Archived